You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #13: Gabriel Knight 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #41
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
Only thing I think you missed was after (I think) the policeman said "Goodbye", he then said "the door please".
Heh, you're right, I forgot to post the best part about "the "door". Made me laugh because it's so incredibly rude.

Quote:
Much as it almost feels like sacrilige to disagree with Andreas on the subject of Gabriel Knight, but I can't go along with that. I'm not spotting the books in the sideboard at all (maybe they're mentioned in the book?
I think Andrea is getting carried away... there are no books in the book either. Hell, there isn't even a crucifix in the book!

Little Writer:
Quote:
Prologue: I never understood what the guy calling the woman and child is saying, and I still don’t.
Die Kutsche wartet!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:59 AM   #42

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I think Andrea is getting carried away... there are no books in the book either. Hell, there isn't even a crucifix in the book!
Am I the only one who can see the Holy Bible, the Gospels and the Book of John in the library? Could it be related to the fact that I'm playing the old (1996) Italian version? Maybe they modified that screen like they did with the in-game documents? I don't have my English copy installed right now, so I can't check but in my version - despite being a tad blurred - these three titles are clearly recognizable.

EDIT: I will install the English version to compare this oddity.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 AM   #43

Thanks Fien, now it sounds so obvious

Can't believe I forgot Michael! Christopher Shea, born during the first landing on the moon (that's a birthday you won't forget fast). He appeared in many tv shows as well, ranging from Star Trek over CSI and Will & Grace to Desperate Housewives.

Mm, again Desperate Housewives. Do we see a theme forming?

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 AM   #44
Senior *female* member

Library?? You were talking about the Huber farm.

Quoting you:

The books in the sideboard, which are mostly about religious matters, and the crucifix certainly tell us that the Hubers are a very catholic family, perhaps even a slightly bigoted one, while the antlers on the wall reveal that Sepp was a skilled hunter (much like everyone from Rittersberg and surroundings).
Old 02-23-2010, 05:09 AM   #45

Yes, sorry. My bad. I was in a hurry and in Italy "libreria" = "bookcase".
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #46
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

Oops. I accidentally closed the window in chapter 4 just before
Spoiler:

I was about to drop the lily in the lake

As this is a rather boring chapter where you have to click on each and every museum plaque, would anyone be so kind as to make a savegame and upload it when they get there? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #47

We're still - at least officially - at Chapter One. Please, hold your questions/doubts/comments about later chapters until everyone has reached them.

Thanks.

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 02-23-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #48
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

Much as I'd like to, I can't really spend time after this week playing games. Besides, I did hide any possible spoilers. And seriously, each chapter is no more than about 3 hours long, even for non-experienced players. If I spent a week on each, it would kill of the suspense, wouldn't it.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #49

Still, the whole point of a playthrough is, suprisingly enough, to play through the game together and comment on it together, so we will proceed according with everyone's needs and we won't begin the other chapters until everyone has finished playing the first one.

Of course, it's fine if you already played the game further. I'm just asking not to comment on later chapters until everyone gets there, so that the discussion can be focused on the chapter at hand.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel View Post
And seriously, each chapter is no more than about 3 hours long, even for non-experienced players
It took me a couple of nights play actually to get through chapter one . Some of those puzzles were tricky! I'm finding some things are a little less obvious in FMV then they are in other adventures, which isn't a bad thing at all. Just a little more... testing .

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #51
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I've been wanting to replay GK2 for a several years, so this playthrough is a perfect opportunity! Even though I didn't have enough time to replay GK3 or take part in the GK1 PT, I still enjoyed following both discussions. Andrea, as always, your detailed insights and the "extras" you include in your introductions show just dedicated you are to the GK (and Jane Jensen) fandom!

The switch to FMV for GK2 was certainly an ambitious move. There isn't too much I can add to the debate over which Gabe was better. For some reason, I liked Tim Curry's GK1 Gabe best, followed by Dean Erickson's "cool and casual" Gabe and then Curry's "sly and sarcastic" GK3 Gabe. As for Grace, I definitely prefer Joanne Takahashi over Leah Remini (For North American TV viewers, Leah Remini is probably best known as Carrie from The King of Queens.) And as Little Writer already mentioned, the late Kay Kuter (Werner Huber) also provided the voice of the roulette croupier in Grim Fandango. As soon as I heard his first words in the opening movie, I couldn't help thinking, "Les jeux sont faits. No more bets, please!" Luckily, I could still understand most of the German spoken so far in the game.

The soundtrack CD (included in the Gabriel Knight Mysteries collection) is superb, from the stirring opening theme to the dramatic and suspenseful tracks. (I don't think I can say too much about the more dynamic pieces without spoiling it plotwise for those playing for the first time. )

There was a previous thread where I mentioned that I hope to visit Munich (and the some of the other locales for GK2) in the near future for one of my adventure gaming "pilgrimages". Not coincidentally, New Orleans and Rennes-le-Château are also on the list.

I've already started Chapter 2... the "icy chill" at SchloĂź Ritter makes me want to reach for an extra sweater!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #52

Chapter 1 Spoilers:
Spoiler:
I'm definitely enjoying the few puzzles so far more than GK1, though the tape splicing was annoying. The actual picking the words was easy enough, but I didn't notice the walkie-talkie on the table and had no idea you could splice tapes. Good thing for uhs-hints so I can get pointed in the right direction without having everything spelled out for me. I was totally convinced I needed to use the wallet to buy some meat, to lure the wolves. I was also disappointed a bit by the lack of humor. I would of loved brandishing the Ritter knife to try and prove my lineage and hearing something amusing, instead it was just blahhh. I have adjusted to and accepted the FMV's quickly however.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
Chapter 1 Spoilers:
Spoiler:
I was totally convinced I needed to use the wallet to buy some meat, to lure the wolves.
I thought that's what you had to do too! Everytime I'd done something new I thought 'oh good, now I can go buy sausages'. But no

Old 02-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #54
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I thought that's what you had to do too! Everytime I'd done something new I thought 'oh good, now I can go buy sausages'. But no
Without saying too much about this I developed something of an obsession with good old Weiss Wurst after first playing through the game. Trouble is it seems to be unobtainable in England. I thought my luck was in when on Honeymoon in Austria we made a couple of trips over the border into Bavaria (including Herrenchiemsee, which I don't think i'm spoiling anything to say is later used in the game in passing, albeit slightly tangentally) but everywhere we went seemed to be sold out of it although it was advertised!

So I've never managed to eat any! However, when I finally get to do my GK2 pilgrimage (been planning it for years...) I'm definitely going to check in and will refuse to leave Bavaria until i've had some!

I'm sure that, after all this, I probably will end up not even liking it, but it's just the principle of the thing now!

Also I have to agree with Trunkyo about the GK2 soundtrack (even including the now slightly dated and rubbish instrument sounds ), which has made it back on to my Ipod in recent weeks to get me in the mood!
Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 AM   #55

White sausage is available everywhere over here. My family loves it; I seem to be the only one who hates sausages of any kind. I'll eat them, or as much as I can stomach, but I'll always choose a different type of meat for dinner.

Books in a sideboard at the Huber farm? I'm not seeing those ... books nor sideboard.

I never notice details of a person's clothing (much to my wife's irritation) so I wouldn't know how "funky" the females look. I like Frau Hogel's outfit, though that's about all I like about her.

I should try to refrain from commenting on women on public forums - did that at Telltale a while back and ... well, let's just move on.

Last edited by Little Writer; 02-24-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #56
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Hahaha. Same here!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #57

Is everyone finished with Chapter One? May we proceed?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #58

Ready

Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #59
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Is everyone finished with Chapter One? May we proceed?
Yeahh!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #60

Ready!