You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

Welcome, fellow Schattenjagers, to the AdventureGamers Community Playthrough #12, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father

As always, some preliminar forewarnings.

The adventure is old and may prove difficult to install and play on modern machines. However, the Sierra Help Pages are full of useful tips on how to overcome these problems, and, more importantly, the mighty Collector has provided a wonderful DOSBox Installer that really works like a charm and allows you to setup and play the game in no time. On the other hand, if you want to play the game in Windows, you can use the equally powerful Endroz' Installer for the game, although I don't know if this method is fully compatible with 64bit OS.

Once you have installed the game, try it. Everything OK? If not, don't panic! If you're having audio-related problems, you can check out this page, and this page will certainly come in handy if you're experiencing one of the nasty speed problems that unfortunately plagues almost every old game.

Like in my previous GK3 playthrough, all the images I will post come from the wonderful Belbor and his amazing site, The Pendulum of Life, a must for every Gabriel Knight fan. This time around, I will also use as a reference the extremely interesting material put together by Almirena and other dedicated fans for the Gabriel Knight 4 Campaign.

Now, as soon as all the partecipants have the game up and running, we can effectively start the playthrough.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 01-06-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #2

I would love to get in on this. I have GK1 up and running, but not sure how a community playthrough works exactly. Could Andrea or someone provide me some details thru a PM or something similar?

Sounds like a great time. Very much looking forward to progress on this.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Random

Oh god, I'm having problems to run it on my 64 bit OS. I'll try using the dosbox.

By the way, i'm so happy to play this game with you guys. It's my first community playthrough, so please be patient with the newbie!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
On the other hand, if you want to play the game in Windows, you can use the equally powerful Endroz' Installer for the game, although I don't know if this method is fully compatible with 64bit OS.
Unfortunately, this installer/patch doesn't work on 64-bit; however, if you have a 32-bit XP installation available, I strongly recommend installing it this way. It does a full install to the hard drive and properly fixes all of the timing bugs which can ruin the game on Days 6 and 9, and it's offered a more stable playthrough than even when I originally bought the game back in 1998.

I recently completed a Let's Play of Sins of the Fathers for another website, which ended up giving me a whole new level of respect for this game and for the series as a whole. Something like 85-90% of the information you learn on Voodoo is factual, and the hints to the mystery are so cleverly layered that it really rewards multiple playthroughs once you know what the hell's going on.

One of the things that struck me is that even after more screenshots than you can choke on and dozens of bonus videos, there are still loads of funny and interesting things to show off that I just couldn't possibly get to, and I'm still finding things I never knew about to this day. Sins of the Fathers is an absolute standout of its time and I think every true adventure game fan should give it an unspoiled playthrough if they have the means.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

I'm set up and ready to play. Thanks for hosting this playthrough, Andrea.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 AM   #6

Used the Endroz' Installer, works like a charm! I'm ready to go.

I was wondering if anyone else has the novelization? I was lucky enough to find a copy some years back, though I can't remember where exactly I got from. I've been looking for a copy of "The Beast Within" novel ever since, but it's like they only ever released ten copies or something.

I've been wanting to read it again, but never got around to it. I remember it wasn't all that special, just cool to read this oh-so-familiar storyline.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 01-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #7

Andrea is quite right. The Windows version will not run on 64-bit Windows. No 16-bit program will. The Hendroz installer is 32-bit, so will install the game on 64-bit Windows, but the game itself is 16-bit. Also, I have not tested the Hendroz installer on Vista or Win7, but his installer has not been updated for quite sometime, and may have permissions issues on Vista/7. Anyone that has 32-bit Windows Vista/7 and wishes to use the Hendroz installer should not install the game in a system folder, like "Program Files". Even if there are no problems with the installer itself, you may have issues with the game itself with the limited write permissions in these system folders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedrake View Post
Unfortunately, this installer/patch doesn't work on 64-bit; however, if you have a 32-bit XP installation available, I strongly recommend installing it this way. It does a full install to the hard drive and properly fixes all of the timing bugs which can ruin the game on Days 6 and 9, and it's offered a more stable playthrough than even when I originally bought the game back in 1998.
The DOSBox installer that Andrea linked to above does work on all modern Windows, even 64-bit XP/Vista/7. It does everything that the Hendroz installer does, except it sets up the DOS version to run in DOSBox, so it can be started from a Windows shortcut. It addresses all speed related issues, via a patch created by NewRisingSun. All that you need to do is insert your CD and run the installer. The CD will not be needed for game play.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #8

I have Vista and used Hendroz. Didn't notice any problems. Of course I do install all my games in a special "gaming" map, so that might automatically avoid those permission problems.

I did notice I have a different version of that menu screen:

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 01-07-2010, 03:46 AM   #9
Random

I had a lots of problems when I was trying to set it up on 64 bits W7 yesterday, but finally, the game is working. The only way I'm able to execute it is dragging the sierra icon from the GK1 directory to the dosbox, otherwise the "64 bits error" pops out. I've used the collector's installer. Finally I think I'm ready, I wonder if this installer is patched with the bug fixes?

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 01-07-2010 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
Failed Birthday Elf

Yay Andrea!

I'm all up and running and ready to go!

To anyone struggling to get the game working properly, it can be a fair bit of work on a newer system but be assured it is well worth it, including taking the time and trouble to get voices & sound up and running - don't miss out on the full experience of this gem!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
I have Vista and used Hendroz. Didn't notice any problems. Of course I do install all my games in a special "gaming" map, so that might automatically avoid those permission problems.

I did notice I have a different version of that menu screen [...]
Even if the link doesn't work, I can say that you surely have the right version of the menu screen. The one I used for ambiance values was used in the disk version of the game, while, if you have the CD version, you should see this picture, which I'm not particularly fond of, I must admit.

On the other hand, even more atmospheric is, in my opinion, the Menu Screen used only in the demo:

PS: Thanks to ATMachine for the pictures! If you are lurking, please do come back and say hello!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #12
M-E

Anyone else on Windows 7 has graphical glitches with dosbox sometimes? Sometimes they are there, but after a few restarts they're gone. I guess that has to do with the windows color scheme?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #13

I'm using the DosBox installer from Collector... not having any issues so far. Running Win7 x64 as well.

Ready for the playthrough as well... sign me up Andrea!!!

-ozymanhattan
Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 AM   #14

All set to go!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #15

The Dosbox GK1 installer presented me with the choice between original or smoothed graphics - which one would be best? (I chose original)
Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 AM   #16
The Quiet One

Aye, I have the Windows and DOS versions ready and waiting. I actually had them installed way before there was talk of a new community playthrough.

As for the Hendroz installer only working properly under 32 bit systems - well, that makes sense as my version of Vista is 32 bit. But I could of sworn I was using 32 bit when I had XP. Anyway, if I encounter any problems with the Windows version at least I can revert to the DOS version.

And before we begin, I think I'll give the comic book a re-read.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #17

If, by tonight, everyone's ready, I'll set up the first block for us to play.

As for the graphic novel, do you all have it? If this is your first time through the game - I doubt it, but still - I recommend reading it only after a certain point in the game, which I'll of course signal. Otherwise, feel free to re-read it when you fancy

Old 01-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #18
Senior *female* member

It took me hours to get the game installed, no kidding. Tried it several times on 3 computers, both the Windows installer and the DOSbox one, and also simply from the CD in DOS on my old Win98 computer. Every single time I got error messages during or after installation. And then all of a sudden it worked! So I played a little, to see if everything was okay. Got wrapped up in the game, but after an hour the screen froze and I even had to restart my computer. Damn.

On the bright side, I love it. Just like GK2, the game is much better and interesting than I remember it.

First time I played GK1 I used the Sierra Originals rerelease. Now I am the proud owner of the lovely trapezoid boxed version, which comes with a nice hint booklet, as I discovered today. Or is that included in all releases?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #19

I can't answer your question. I'm busy drooling over your trapezoid box.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #20
Senior *female* member

My collection, in my gaming room. Well, most of it. A total of 274. Plus downloads of course. Trapezoid box in top left corner. Drool away!

Last edited by Fien; 01-07-2010 at 09:20 AM.