You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #41

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

OK, ready to begin!

Since Sins of the Fathers is comfortably divided in ten days, this playthrough's segments are fortunately a no-brainer. As such, I propose that we play through the first day and then report back before venturing deeper into New Orleans' meanders.

DAY 1

I dreamt of blood upon the shore, of eyes that spoke of sin.
The lake was smooth and deep and balck, as was her scented skin
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 01-07-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsFree View Post
I used the installer but I already have dosbox and it's not in program files, so I skipped that part.
There are no problems with the screensize though, it's the sound. But I found it gets a bit better during gameplay.
I was just surprised that that 5.wav file sounds good on it's own, but when it plays in the game there's a lot of hiss and noise. I also played around a bit with the cycles setting in dosbox, but that didn't do much.
It sounds like your audioDrv is set to DACBLAST.DRV or the SoundBlaster option. The Sierra SoundBlaster driver often has problems. My installer sets the audioDrv to DACTHUND.DRV to avoid this. Did you run the game's INSTALL.EXE and change the option?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #43
Random

Ok i'm taking a look around the available places on day 1.

Do somebody knows what music those guys play?

Nice blues song. I want to learn how to play it on guitar, hehe.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 01-07-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #44

During the Gabriel Knight 3 playthrough, I used to write some introduction to each playing block, highlighting the funny things to do or unveiling some well hidden detail or unraveling my own speculations. I figured that it would be nice to do the same for Sins of the Fathers, and this time around I've decided to break down what I have to say into three little columns: one focused on a particular location of the game and the funny actions you can do in it; one focused on the real-life locations of the day and the last one dedicated to a brief extract from Jane's novelization that is, in some way, related to the task of the chapter at hand.

In Detail: St. George's Rare Books

Gabriel's bookshop is one of my favorite locations in the entire saga, mainly because it's very rich and literally lavished with little details that make the world really alive. For example:

- Try looking at the various furniture: the gargoyle; the carpet; the chandelier; the mezzanine; the coffee machine; the cash register; the painting on the wall; Grace's oil colors; Grace's chair; Gabriel and Grace's coat; the window
- Try looking at every stash or row or display of book, particularly the ones on the coffee desk
- Look and operate the ladder
- Talk to the gargoyle, to the books, to the coffee machine
- Try to take the money in the cash register
- Read the German/English dictionary until the dialogue starts repeating

Next, visit the back: Gabriel's bedroom and studio. Try to open the fridge, to operate the typewriter, look in the closet, try to use the bed and, finally, turn on the radio.

Real-Life Locations:

St. Louis Cemetery #1 is another rich location. Outside from Marie Laveu's tomb, many other tombs here hold valuable details and the general architecture is strikingly reproduced. The keeper is a source of wonderful information, for example about the floodings that urged the tombs to be built above the level of the ground or the iron fences that surround the cemetery. In the second screen, you will also found the Templeton - Knight tomb, and it's nice to have Gabriel stopping by to say his respects. He can actually talk to his parents and relatives, and it's a pretty touching moment.

Day 1 in the novel:

Grace was always in a hurry, always thought something ought to be done about something, and was at a loss to handle only one thing - free time. When she wasn't working, she was taking classes like tai chi and oil painting. And this summer was supposed to be her break from school. Gabriel, on the other hand, preferred to watch life, as if from a rocking chair on the porch in the middle of august. He figured if something really interesting went past (and if he felt up to it at the moment), he could always get up and jump in.

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Roc 1997, p. 6
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 01-07-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #45
The Quiet One

Where exactly is the Templeton tomb? Whenever I've played the game I've never found it and it's puzzled me because Grandma Knight makes the suggestion for Gabriel to pay his respects.

The only 3 tombs I can find belong to Marie Laveau, the Wright's and Gedde.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #46

I don't have time to play but will be following this thread.

GK1 is my favorite game ever.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #47
Stalker of Britain

I hope you guys don't mind if I post some of my (infamous) comments.

I finished Day 1 already-I was excited. lol I don't know if I started playing this game on a bad day or what, but its not nearly as *cough* boring *cough* as I remember. I've gone past the point I had given up earlier, and although I'm not liking it as much as GK2, I'm still going to give it a chance. It's probably going to do a 180 and become meraculious.

I love the beginning credit music; it really adds to the mood. I was also blown away by the "big name actors" they got to voice the main characters, like Tim Curry (who I had known from Muppet Treasure Island) as Gabriel. I didn't even recognize his voice. And the wife from "King of Queens" as Grace, with the famous Luke Skywalker as Detective Mosely! (Who I also didn't recognize, besides the name). Only Grace sounded like the actress I knew.

When I first started playing this, I thought the story was a bit slow (which now I don't think so), and I also thought the narrarator's voice was horrific, and had to turn the voice off. Now I kind of find the charm in it, and don't mind it as much. I must have started playing it earlier on a really bad day.

Without Andrea's awesome guidance, I wouldn't have even known you could go in the back in the shop! There were a few funny lines the narrarator said, like if you try to take Gran's knitting! lol

I'm glad since the graphics are so pixulated, that they show close ups when talking. It looks more realistic, obviously, and gives character to otherwise pixels. I may be a bit dense, but what does MO stand for, when he's talking to Mosely? I ended the chapter (when it gave me back control the next day) with 41 points...how many is the official point list for the day, dear Andrea?

The thing I didn't like about this chapter was how lazy Mosely is with police protocal with Gabriel. Yeah, they're friends, but you shouldn't be able to disreguard so many police rules just because they're friends. I just thought it was a bit too unrealistic to let Gabriel see a lot of confidential things.

My absolute favorite part of this first chapter, without a doubt, was the mime. It was hilarious how he walked behind everybody, and I loved the silly way he'd impersinate (sp?!) Gab's walking.

Am I babbling too much? I apologize. Please tell me if I am, because I just like sharing my thoughts on things, and I don't know if it's boring or not. I really am liking the game so far.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #48

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
Do somebody knows what music those guys play?
I believe all three bands are each playing a variation of the old-time gospel classic 'Oh When the Saints'. That band plays a blues version, one of the other two plays dixieland-jazz, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Am I babbling too much? I apologize. Please tell me if I am, because I just like sharing my thoughts on things, and I don't know if it's boring or not.
I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts, opinions and experiences. That's what these playthroughs are all about, right?

I'll be playing the first chapter later today.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:17 AM   #49

Wow, y'all started already? That's what you get for going to sleep Probably won't be able to play today (we're going out tonight) but hopefully tomorrow. Don't want to hold things up.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 01-08-2010, 01:47 AM   #50

Wow, turn my back for one second and a playthrough has finally begun! Well, seeing as though I finished this game about 2/3 weeks ago I'll pass on playing but am still interested in following everyones play.

Good comments so far. I've only recently picked up the graphic novel too so looking forward to when it's relevant

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 01-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Where exactly is the Templeton tomb?
I misspoke. The only Templeton in the cemetery is obviosly Gabriel's mother, whose burial niche is inside the Wright's tomb, alongside Gabriel's father and grandfather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
When I first started playing this, I thought the story was a bit slow (which now I don't think so), and I also thought the narrarator's voice was horrific, and had to turn the voice off. Now I kind of find the charm in it, and don't mind it as much.
Admiteddly the proper story takes a bit to take off, and Day 1 is almost entirely dedicated to make the player acquainted with the setting, the characters and the themes of the game. Not everyone fancies this kind storytelling, but I certainly prefer it over an in medias res approach.

Quote:
[...]what does MO stand for, when he's talking to Mosely? I ended the chapter (when it gave me back control the next day) with 41 points...how many is the official point list for the day, dear Andrea?
MO stands for modus operandi. As for the total points, the maximum achievable in Day 1 is difficult to calculate, since many actions can be post-poned to later segments, but 41 is not bad at all. However, if you want, I can post the total point-list for Day 1, taken from Sierra's Official Hintbook.

Quote:
The thing I didn't like about this chapter was how lazy Mosely is with police protocal with Gabriel. Yeah, they're friends, but you shouldn't be able to disreguard so many police rules just because they're friends. I just thought it was a bit too unrealistic to let Gabriel see a lot of confidential things.
Well, Mosely is certainly a bit sloppy, but you have to account for his naivete. He hasn't the slightest idea that Gabriel is taking so much advantage of his position.

Quote:
My absolute favorite part of this first chapter, without a doubt, was the mime. It was hilarious how he walked behind everybody, and I loved the silly way he'd impersinate (sp?!) Gab's walking.
If you speak with the mime (or, better, try to) for a dozen of times, Gabriel will do something unexpected

Old 01-08-2010, 05:20 AM   #52
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardoor View Post
I believe all three bands are each playing a variation of the old-time gospel classic 'Oh When the Saints'. That band plays a blues version, one of the other two plays dixieland-jazz, I believe.
Ohh, thank you very much dude. I've found a tablature, i'll start to practice it, hehe.

I've just finished day 1. My score wasn't as good as fantasy's, just 35 points.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #53

Day 1 Complete Point-List

The actions that can be post-poned to later days are highlighted with an asterisk (note: I may have listed some actions as necessary while they can in fact be post-poned. The actions I was unsure of, have been listed as necessary). Optional actions are italicized.

Spoiler:
Read Newspaper 1
Ask Grace for all the messages 4
Get tweezers 1
Get magnifying glass 1
Read Heinz Ritter Book 1
Read Snake Book 1
Get gift certificate* 1
Ask Gran about Philip, Margaret, Harrison and Heinz(*) 4
Get sketchbook 1
Read sketchbook* (INV) 1
Open clock* 5
Get photo in clock* 1
Get letter in clock* 1
Read letter (INV)* 1
Ask Frick About Mosely 2
Get envelope from Frick 1
Open envelope (INV) 1
Distract Policeman with Mime 5
Operate radio 2
Use magnifying glass on grass 1
Use tweezers to get scale 2
Use sketchbook on sand 2
Get clay* 1
Ask Mosely about patterns 1
Get police file 2
Ask for author photo 2
Copy police file 5
Put file back 1
Look at sign at Voodoo Shop* 1
Show murder photo at Willy* 2
Ask research on Malia 2

Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #54
M-E

I'm going to start my playthrough now. I already played a bit yesterday and loved to watch that mime stalk some girl in the park from the lookout point.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #55

I don't believe I've ever tried to talk to the mime more than once. Now I've got to see what happens when Gabriel does.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #56
M-E

OK, I'm kinda stuck here.

Spoiler:
I've been at about every spot on the map and the police station to collect the photos, but I can't get a clue where the crime scene is. In the park there's this motorcycle cop with a radio that says assistence at... The cop won't let me use the radio either. Anyone has a tiny hint?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #57

Spoiler:
There is also a mime in the park. Have you noticed how he follows Gabriel around?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #58
Pixiehunter

Wow, you're all so quick! Didn't get the chance to play today..

I did roll the intro credits and was again enchanted by the music (my favorite GK music!). When I saw the credits first time I played, and heard the music, I just felt the game would be special, and really it is!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #59

You guys started already! Is it too late for me to join?

I'm sorry if I haven't signaled my intention to jump in until now; my spare time has proven to be limited at best this past week. I probably won't have the time to play until Sunday, but I'll catch up. I'm really excited too, because it's been ages since I last played the original GK.

Andrea, I really enjoyed reading that novel excerpt you posted yesterday. I am looking forward to more of that.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #60
Stalker of Britain

Andrea, I didn't do a lot of the stuff you mentioned, even the ones that aren't optional. I wonder, if you talk to Grace about researching Malai, does it trigger the Day to end? I didn't get a lot on that list.

EDIT: So I looked into what the Mime did, awww poor baby! I love it; if you move the mime over to the band on the same screen, he'll start dancing really funny, and after a few minutes, they'll threaten him! lol
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 01-08-2010 at 10:02 AM.