You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 04:45 AM   #261

I like this day, but it has it's fault.
It's great to be in Rittersberg, but i wish you could have explored the castle a little more. There are three locations in the casts, in day 7. They could have added another couple.
About the ritual... umm i don't know.
i like the general concept but I didn't get the salt puzzle and it could have been better if they added some details to the cerimony.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:45 AM   #262
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Of course.
Please explain your "of course"? I don't have the novel and I'm in the dark. But I have the Beast Within novel, which was written before GK2 was released. In my perception that does make a difference.

PS: Judging by your quotes, the first novel is better written and "deeper" than the second one, although The Beast Within had its moments, especially in the second part.

Last edited by Fien; 01-28-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #263

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

The Sins of the Fathers novelization was written after the first game, whereas Jane planned the second one alongside The Beast Within. As for my opinion on the first novelization, I only believe that it allowed Jane to dig deeper into Gabriel's soul and, as such, the novel itself is often a precious companion to the game, useful to better understand Gabriel's inner turmoil.

As for literary merits, I strongly believe that the second novelization works best as a novel tout court than the first one
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #264
Random

Quote:
Salt is another common item in religion: it is used for the consecration of churches, for example, and is generally tied with the concept of purity and wholeness, to the point that Wiccans and other Neo-Pagas often employ it for protection against evil influences, and as a tool against spirits and demons.
Interesting information. I thought it was just to represent the ocean water (third panel) in the schattenjager ritual, lol.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #265
M-E

Quote:
The Sins of the Fathers novelization was written after the first game, whereas Jane planned the second one alongside The Beast Within. As for my opinion on the first novelization, I only believe that it allowed Jane to dig deeper into Gabriel's soul and, as such, the novel itself is often a precious companion to the game, useful to better understand Gabriel's inner turmoil.

As for literary merits, I strongly believe that the second novelization works best as a novel tout court than the first one
Maybe this has been asked before, but is the novel worth reading, even after playing the game?

Btw. I'm in chapter 7 now and almost caught up to the rest of the people here.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #266

It depends on what you're seeking. As I said, from a literary point of view, the Sins of the Fathers novelization bears little value and basically functions like an extended walkthrough of the game, thankfully enriched by many interesting insights into Gabriel's psychology, his background and his relationship with Gran and Mosely, and Malia of course. So, if you're a fan of the game and are searching for a companion for the adventure itself, the novel is certainly worthy.

The Beast Within novelization is far more accomplished as a novel per se, and Jane, chosing to overcome the game in favor of a more genuine storytelling, changed many details, effectively creating an addicting alternative version from the canon of The Beast Within. Of course, the plot doesn't change, but many developments are presented under a different light and this value alone makes the novel worth reading. Plus, free of budged restraints, Jane was able to reintroduce in the novel the "lost chapter" that was to be played from Ludwig's perspective and that was subsequentely but due to budgetary reasons. That chapter - which later became Chapter Six opening sequence - is really fascinating, and heartfelt. All in all, I can't help but wholeheartedly recommend the second novel
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:53 AM   #267

I've been looking for that novel for a long time. No luck so far ...

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 01-29-2010, 04:10 AM   #268
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
I've been looking for that novel for a long time. No luck so far ...
Little Writer, if you solemnly swear to return the book to me I will lend you my copy of the Beast Within. You're in Belgium and I'm in Holland, so the costs won't be a problem. Let me know if you're interested.

EDIT: Better still, you could lend me your copy of Jane's first novel and we will both be happy!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:14 AM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Little Writer, if you solemnly swear to return the book to me I will lend you my copy of the Beast Within. You're in Belgium and I'm in Holland, so the costs won't be a problem. Let me know if you're interested.

EDIT: Better still, you could lend me your copy of Jane's first novel and we will both be happy!
There are also some offers up on eBay. They can be quite expensive though.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 AM   #270

Thanks for the offer Fien, but I have some bad experiences with book loans so I'll just keep on looking for my own copy. I'll keep you in mind if I find another "Sins of the Fathers", though. I saw one in a secondhand store a while back.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #271
M-E

Not only did I catch up to the rest today, I already completed Day 8 as well. OK, I guess it's the shortest day by far, but still... :p

Day 7:
Spoiler:
I really loved this day, even though it isn't as spooky or intensive as the other days. It was a surprise to find Mosely in that crypt, because I was expecting Malia's Voodoo Queen ancestor with the talisman to be in that middle drawer. Guess not, lol. After that I was stuck for a while, because I didn't know what to do. Later I figured out that I should call the travel agency instead of visiting it somehow. I didn't really like that part, but I understand the logic behind it.

Well, then Germany... I love the scene where you approach Schloss Ritter with the car. It just looks great and makes me want to visit the Schloss. What a great place to live would that be. I think I would sit on that bench near the window in Wolfgang's room, admiring the view the whole day. The initiation ceremony was a fun part to do.

Last but not least, the dream. I've seen some people here say they found it to be a little too out there. I loved the dream, it was tense and the dragon's voice was teriffic.

And on another note. I had a wonderful experience this afternoon when I was sitting in the train back home. There was this guy playing "When The Saints Go Marching In" on accordeon. It immediately made me think about the bands on Jackson Square.

Last edited by M-E; 01-29-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #272

Spoiler or non spoiler, can I ask you not to post in advance your comments regarding days we have still to play?

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #273

Tomorrow morning I will post the info about Day 8 and Day 9. Day 8 is so brief there is really no reason to dedicate a chapter solely to it, so we'll couple it with the more consistent Day 9

Is it OK for everyone?

Old 01-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #274
Random

Quote:
Is it OK for everyone?
It's OK by me!

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:12 AM   #275
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
It's OK by me!
Seconded!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:47 AM   #276
M-E

Yep! (I'm actually almost done already, these last days are too addicting )
Old 01-31-2010, 06:05 AM   #277

ok!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 AM   #278

DAY 8

Inside a hidden chamber where I had no right to be,
I found the wheel at last or, could it be, the wheel found me...

DAY 9

And then the wheel went round and round, I could not find my way.
Twelve and three and turn the key, I heard the madman say...

Old 01-31-2010, 07:19 AM   #279

In Detail: The Snake Mound

Now, if you are a genuine Sierra enthusiast like myself, you can't help but appreciate Day 9 and its beutiful Snake Mound: yes, finally some time-sensitive events, action-related sequences and multiple gruesome deaths!

Admittedly, deaths in the Gabriel Knight series lack the amusing charm of King's Quest, the hilarious spoofs of Leisure Suit Larry or the biting mockery of Space Quest, and, as such, it's usually not as fun experimenting them than in other Sierra's series. Nevertheless, if you're in for a truly complete experience of Sins of the Fathers, you simply have to try the following:

Spoiler:
Let the mummies kill you in Room 3. Don't avoid the mummy in room 6. Wait without doing nothing in Room 7 with Wolfgang

Beware that there's a particularly tricky mummy in Room 5.

Spoiler:
The only safe way to bypass it is to wait for it to come near the center of the room, then steer completely to the right and skirt the wall, then - when the mummy starts going to the right - dash off for the door.

Apart from this masochistic endeavor, there are many things to examine in the mond: the ground, the moss-covered ceiling, the overhanging creepers, the walls, the torches, the tiles and the patterns. And, finally, in the inner chamber, the altar conceals more secrets than what meets the eye. Try to examine the base andthe top of the altar, the carving, the poles holes. And try even to open the altar without using the bars.

Real-Life Locations: People's Republic of Benin

The Republic of Benin is one of the poorest countries in Africa, and little remains today of the splendor of the Kingdom of Dahomey, fabled and renown for its art and flourishing architecture. One of the cradles of West African Vodun, the Fon people of Benin recognized Nana Buluku as the supreme deity of their pantheon. Interestingly enough, Nana Buluku is an androgynous deity, worshipped both under its feminine aspect (mother, earth, water, moon) and its masculine one (tree, village, fire/hearth, sun), like the much more famous Erzulie, who, while always being depicted as a black woman (sometimes elderly), is also considered an homosexual deity. The matriarchal tradition of Voodoo seems to stem from the Benin region too, since it was in the West African area - both within the Fon tribes and the Yoruba ones - that the Queen Mothers originated. A nice reading if you're interested in the religion and culture of the region can be found here, where another deity comes into play: Dahn, the snake god who "gives and he takes away. He is a theif. One is never done with being anxious about placating him, for he does not forgive readily, as Legba does." This obviously ties with the ubiquitous snake imagery in the voudoun religion (i.e. Damballah) and it is most likely the reason why Jane imagined the Snake Mound as the burial ground of the Worshippers of the Sun. However, it must be noted that not only 'mound' is a word not used outside North America (instead, Europeans, Asians and Africans prefer to use 'tumulus'), but also that we don't have any information about such a burial place ever being built by African tribes (whose tumuli more closely resemble this one, minus the modern trappings of course )

Day 8 in the novel

The the mass shifted, took shape and became Gabriel; Gabriel in green glass, his own doppelganger - with red, ugly eyes and an evilly curled lip. His own double, down to the jutting bangs, in putrdi green, similar in all ways except for the crystal sword that was buried where its belly button should be. And it still laughed, laughin at him, himself at himself.

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Roc 1997, p. 329

Day 9 in the novel

Gabriel looked at Wolfgang quizzically. No wonder Gerde was so attached to the old guy. He was still handsome, with weathered features that looked a lot like Gabriel's own, and long, thick white hair. There was still a dignity, a regalness about him, the look of a commander. But age had made its mark. Around the eyes and mouth there was a tension that had once been iron resolution, but had now faded down, softened a bit, like warm wax. Gabriel felt an unexpected longing well up inside him, as if he were mourning something he'd never even known he'd missed.

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Roc 1997, p. 351

Old 01-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #280
Random

I've finished day 8 and 9, 282 points.

The Day 9 was the best day, in my opinion, of course. The mummy in room 5 gave me a lot of pain. Thanks for the tip, Andrea!

There's something I don't understand on day 9:

Spoiler:
In Gabriel's uncle death scene. Wolfgang cuts his own heart by his free will, or he was influenced by tetelo?