You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight series, worth getting into at this point?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #61
J.H
Frak.

I've also recently been thinking about playing GK seen as everyone on this forum seems to love it I'm guessing I'll enjoy it too.

However the GUI in number one put me off buying it for ages and the other two have horrible graphics IMHO (I doubt I could even bring myself to play number 2) but I think I'm going to borrow Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father off a friend tomorrow, wish me luck lol.

Last edited by J.H; 09-10-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by phredster View Post
ok will do, but one question does it run STABLE under Dosbox? on this site they say that you get frequent crashes under XP, and what about Vista?
GK2 and 3 will not run under vista64 bit... so run a virtualbox with a 32 bit xp installed and everything will be perfect... Also gk1 and dosbox are solid... zero problems
Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer4Life View Post
GK2 and 3 will not run under vista64 bit... so run a virtualbox with a 32 bit xp installed and everything will be perfect... Also gk1 and dosbox are solid... zero problems
GK3 does run in Vista 64. GK2 does not as it is a 16-bit program. It runs fine in DOSBox. Try the DOSBox installers for the first two.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #64
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
To me it seems that some people are still offended when people go jerk around with Christian mythology and that's just fine, I'd just rather have those people say it offends them than trying to make excuses why it is bad for some other reason.
Thank you!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #65
Sar

Here is a very good and interesting video review of Gabriel Knight 1. The visuals will add to the understanding for those of you what have never seen the game.

http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/525210/Gabriel%20Knight:%20Sins%20of%20the%20Fa.html#Post 525210
Old 09-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #66

I am sorry to say that I tried GK and.....couldn't really get into it..=(
The game looks promising and you can see the game is one with high production values...maybe a little too high? What I mean to say is I found the game to be a little bit too overwhelming.
A lot of dialog to go through and any kind of interaction with any item results to new comments by that voodoo lady. Also...so many locations to go to in the beginning...if only Gabriel could run. Anyway I am sure I will return to this game. I am going to play some other games first.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #67
Stalker of Britain

Yeah, I tried out the 1st "Gabriel Knight", and am having trouble getting into it, too. I've already played the 2nd game which I liked, but this game hasn't captured me yet. The "voodoo lady" voice was SO annoying, I had to turn it off, and I never do that kind of thing.

There doesn't seem to me much of a story yet, even though I know it gets one, it's just hard to get in to.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 09-19-2009, 02:24 AM   #68

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
A lot of dialog to go through and any kind of interaction with any item results to new comments by that voodoo lady. Also...so many locations to go to in the beginning...if only Gabriel could run. Anyway I am sure I will return to this game. I am going to play some other games first.
First of all, she's not a voodoo lady. Quite the contrary: the external narrator was supposed to sound like a Creole grandmother. And I, for one, found her voice outstanding - after all, we're talking about Virginia Capers, an extremely talented actress who was also the recipient of a Tony Award for Best Actress, for her Broadway performance in Raisin.

As for the locations: it's true, they are many, fortunately. The game doesn't content itself with presenting the player only with the few locations strictly necessary to proceed. It tries to recreate a virtual world, whose life was well-adjusted even before the player stepped into said world. But, if you read your newspaper everyday and ask Grace for messages everyday, the direction you should take is pretty clear.

@ Fantasy. I'm baffled by your opinion upon the story: I mean, between the graphic novel (which is bound to be present in the boxed version of the game, and in the collection), the animated intro and the opening dialogue between Gabriel and Grace, there's in this game a bigger story than the vast majority of the adventures I've tried after that pivotal year, 1999.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-19-2009, 03:07 AM   #69
Stalker of Britain

Oh, I didn't mean for you to think I didn't like it, Andrea! I just meant I hadn't seen much of the story yet. I got this version from my friend, so I didn't get a graphic novel. The opening scene was indeed very interesting, I just haven'r learned anything about it yet. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult your favorite game, I just meant that I haven't seen that part of the story yet. I'm sorry...
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 09-19-2009, 03:51 AM   #70

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Oh no, Fantasy, you don't have to be sorry. I know I'm defensive when it comes to Gabriel Knight, but I have nothing against you

As for the graphic novel, it's a shame that your version didn't come with one, because it's really interesting to read and it is visually stunning.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-19-2009, 04:52 AM   #71
Pixiehunter

The first day of Sins of the Fathers wasn't my favorite. It seemed to me that the story still had to start up a bit. Sure, there was plenty of information in that day, but the story really started gripping me during day 2 or 3.

This may also have to do with the fact that during day 1 I was a bit at a loss what to do (had some problems ending the day), and in that way the pacing aws reduced too much. The next days were more clear to me, and so I could more easily be dragged into the story which after that never let me go.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #72

@Andrea

You sound as if I said something bad about the quality of the narration.
It was the quantity I adressed.

And yes...I have nothing against lots of locations to go to. I only don't like them to be thrown all to me in the beginning. I like a slight build up in a game. Wherein it starts with three locations, you get familiar with the game know a bit whats going on, and then more locations start to unlock.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
First of all, she's not a voodoo lady. Quite the contrary: the external narrator was supposed to sound like a Creole grandmother. And I, for one, found her voice outstanding - after all, we're talking about Virginia Capers, an extremely talented actress who was also the recipient of a Tony Award for Best Actress, for her Broadway performance in Raisin.
I think that the people (usually not Americans) that dislike the narration in GK1 are thrown off by the accent. Perhaps they expect a generic "Southern accent", when there are many different variations, especially around the Delta, where there are several ethnic groups, including the Cajuns and the Creoles, each of which have their own distinct accent, if not out and out dialect. Her Creole accent may not sound authentic to someone that only expects that generic "Southern accent".
Old 09-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #74
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
@Andrea

You sound as if I said something bad about the quality of the narration.
It was the quantity I adressed.

And yes...I have nothing against lots of locations to go to. I only don't like them to be thrown all to me in the beginning. I like a slight build up in a game. Wherein it starts with three locations, you get familiar with the game know a bit whats going on, and then more locations start to unlock.
That bothered me too, though it makes sense that most of the locations were available. Though, there are many times where I felt overwhelmed when play the game again. I always spend so much time figuring out where to go. Now that I read the book, its a cinch.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #75

Oh yes, I was also very much bothered by the narration, so I turned it off quickly. Since GK1 was the last of the SCI adventures in VGA it allowed more customizations of the game experience than earlier titles, fortunately. I also wished I could have turned off the narrator voice in KQ5, but nooo...
But I'm not always opposed to it. I liked it in SQ4.

And there is some pixelhunting in Gabriel Knight 1, sadly. On the first crime scene some important clues are well hidden in the grass. I had problems finding it even when I knew of it!
Old 09-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #76
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
But I'm not always opposed to it. I liked it in SQ4.
OH SQ4! Now that was the best Narration to a game ever. Humor, Class, Character. It was such a great addition. Just like Arthur was to Buried in Time.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #77
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
I also wished I could have turned off the narrator voice in KQ5, but nooo...
I liked the narraration in KQ5.

But yes, the lady's narraration may be spot on perfect, but it doesn't mean I still can't like it. The way she talked and so slowly just didn't seem to fit with being a narrarator of the game. This is just my opinion, though, and I'm still going to play it and probably end up liking it, so no worries Andrea.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #78
Life and times of...

If I remember correctly, I didn't at first really like the narration in GK1 either, but the further I got in the game the more I liked it and eventually just totally loved it...

And also, as said the story does start a bit slow but it's just one of those games that you just have to play a bit, 'cause once it gets going it really gets going
Old 09-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #79
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
If I remember correctly, I didn't at first really like the narration in GK1 either, but the further I got in the game the more I liked it and eventually just totally loved it...

And also, as said the story does start a bit slow but it's just one of those games that you just have to play a bit, 'cause once it gets going it really gets going
I'm pretty sure you're loving Gabriel and not the narrator.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #80

As for me, Gabriel Knight series has been really my best game since then. I played GK 1 the first time in 1996, and it did attract my attention at the first place due to its mysterious, thrilling and somewhat creepy plot. Especially, I most liked Jane Jensen’s description of religious legends, for instance Templar Knights in GK 3. Maybe its graphic can’t compare to the best-quality images of newly-published games, but at the point I played it, every other game had the same as it did.

What made GK so outstanding and different from other games of the same genre at the time are obviously its really awesome storyline, special layout of time and brilliant puzzles as others said. When I played Black Mirror, I realized this game had borrowed some details in GK, for example the main character had weird, terrible dreams of murders each day, which is similar to the case of Gabriel in Part 1. I do admire Ms Jensen’s creativity in her games so much, and that’s why I’m looking forward to her upcoming “Gray Matter” so much.