You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Konami is working on a psp re-release of Shadow of Memories!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 05:17 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII
Default Konami is working on a psp re-release of Shadow of Memories!

Quote:
Konami is working on a PlayStation Portable release of Shadow of Memories (Shadow of Destiny in the US). The mystery adventure was originally released in early 2001 as one of Konami's first offerings for Sony's (back then) new PlayStation 2 hardware. No details regarding potential enhancements or new features of the portable version have been announced so far.

Shadow of Memories for PlayStation Portable will be available in Japan on October 1st for 4,200 yen ($43.57 USD).
http://rpgfan.com/news/2009/346.html (source)

I don't know how well it sold on the ps2 in Europe (or in the US) but I hope it will get localized as I have yet to own the game. Only rented it once but it was such a fantastic game. Will be exciting to see if they will add some new features or endings!

Incase people don't know what game I am talking about.
From what I remember it is an adventure game where you in the beginning die in a burning cafeteria and then sent to the end of time. Then will get the opportunity to travel back and forth timelines to find more about your killer or to find ways to escape your destiny. There are 8 different endings and the things you do in the past bear consequences for the future and your fate.
The game was made by some silent hill developers if I rememeber it correctly.

Last edited by MikeLXXXVIII; 07-26-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:03 AM   #2

This was true nextgen adventure game back then in 2001 when it was released along with other hardhitting ps2 titles, i went mad on story timearc stuff, different path, totally different outcomes and scenarios, keeping track of time and trying to figure out mulitple identities of all characters including yourself, awesome.

I missed 2 endings which i caught on youtube.

I wonder if it would have different/more content, though VAs are redone.
Anyway i am kind of dissapointed since i wanted spiritual successor on psp or nextgen. The guy did timehollow too, but this game had more going for it.

cool wallpaper at PSP site

http://www.konami.jp/products/shadow.../download.html

Last edited by nomadsoul; 07-26-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

That's excellent news. This is one of my favorite games. I'm not a PSP owner but would love to see it on DS. (I also loved Time Hollow but agree that Shadow of Destiny/Memories is better.)

IIRC there were text files in the game data for a few endings that were impossible to get. It would be neat to see these added.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #4

One of my favorite games for the PS2 but everytime I played I got the same ending.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I don't have a PSP, but I do own the game and I guess it's the right to time to finally play it.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
One of my favorite games for the PS2 but everytime I played I got the same ending.
There is a point partway through the game that determines which path you go down. Then from there, choices you make in the last chapter determine which ending you get. So you should be able to get at least one or two other endings by replaying the last chapter differently, then get the others by replaying the whole thing but making different choices throughout. There are walkthroughs online that detail how to get the different endings.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
kamikaze hummingbirds

Nice!!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
full of tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Anyway i am kind of dissapointed since i wanted spiritual successor on psp or nextgen. The guy did timehollow too, but this game had more going for it.
I hope you're not talking about Junko Kawano, she's a woman!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #9

Interesting move, didn't know it caused enough sales to warrant a PSP port such a long time after the release. And if it sold well, I believe it did so much because there wasn't much else out at the moment, so early PS2 owners swallowed most of the games up released around that time.

However, if they're doing this because they're looking to revitalize the game with a sequel or series on a next-gen console, I'm all for it.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #10

I've played a PC demo of this game, but as far as i can remember it was called Shadow of Destiny. Never had the opportunity to buy the full version and my psp is getting a little dusty these days so it would be nice to finally play this game.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:35 AM   #11

It was called Shadow of Destiny in the US, here in Europe it was called Shadow of Memories.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 AM   #12

I began playing last night (I'm at Chapter 3) and I'm a bit disappointed. The floating energy units are a big deal-breakers when it comes to suspension of disbelief and the story - at least for now - seems to me rather simple. I hope that the game gets better
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
There is a point partway through the game that determines which path you go down. Then from there, choices you make in the last chapter determine which ending you get. So you should be able to get at least one or two other endings by replaying the last chapter differently, then get the others by replaying the whole thing but making different choices throughout. There are walkthroughs online that detail how to get the different endings.
Thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I began playing last night (I'm at Chapter 3) and I'm a bit disappointed. The floating energy units are a big deal-breakers when it comes to suspension of disbelief and the story - at least for now - seems to me rather simple. I hope that the game gets better
From my (somewhat rusty) memory of the game, AndreaDraco, a few of the "good" endings make the whole game worth while, but it's not a very long game. Saying that, I remember one of the lesser endings leaving me rather empty inside
Old 07-28-2009, 12:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickless View Post
I hope you're not talking about Junko Kawano, she's a woman!
Whoaaaa! Thanks for correcting. Any pic?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #16
XXJ

Quote:
Whoaaaa! Thanks for correcting. Any pic?

the woman at the right side is Ms. Junko Kono.

Humm.... I don't understand why you are so interested in woman game creaters?

Woman game creater is not unusual for me. Especially in adventure game genre.

For example, "Rika Suzuki" is a very famous for making "Hotel dusk room 215" and "trace memory". And "Minae Matsukawa" is a famous "Phoenix Wright" producer.

Last edited by XXJ; 07-28-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
From my (somewhat rusty) memory of the game, AndreaDraco, a few of the "good" endings make the whole game worth while, but it's not a very long game. Saying that, I remember one of the lesser endings leaving me rather empty inside
Ah, I must admit that, as the game progresses, it becomes more intriguing.

Spoiler:
Precisely when Homunculus appears at the beginning of Chapter Four, if I'm not mistaken.

And even the story starts to dig a little deeper. A thing I must say for sure is that the supporting characters are simply wonderful: Mr. Brum and Sybilla were awesome, and Margarete and Hugo very well fleshed out. I hope that Eike becomes more rounded at the end of the game.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXJ View Post

the woman at the right side is Ms. Junko Kono.

For example, "Rika Suzuki" is a very famous for making "Hotel dusk room 215" and "trace memory". And "Minae Matsukawa" is a famous "Phoenix Wright" producer.

Yeah just got to know rika from trickless pixelmenu site. Any pics of her,

Good to have female makers, or writers. I am big fan of female composers, sometimes they have edge over male ones. Music composers like CV series one and shimomoura form KH and parasiteeve fame.

Rika has to be one of my fav writer now since i really liked Glassrose story. Best suspense thriller EVER in any medium.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Yeah just got to know rika from trickless pixelmenu site. Any pics of her,

Good to have female makers, or writers. I am big fan of female composers, sometimes they have edge over male ones. Music composers like CV series one and shimomoura form KH and parasiteeve fame.

Rika has to be one of my fav writer now since i really liked Glassrose story. Best suspense thriller EVER in any medium.

And i dont need to mention CV artist, her art is so unique, hard to find any male one that seperates himself from others. Shinkawa artstyle comes to mind only.

Though SMT guy and nomura are hit, their style is not so unique, not universal either.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #20

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXJ View Post

Well, if by "you" you're talking about people in general then I'd say that, judging from the games you listed, that women are just better at making Adventure games. Thinking about it, I seem to recall that a woman was behind Assassin's Creed and I just loved the story to that, and the game play weren't bad, either.