You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 02:38 AM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
I anyone else planning to replay all the games, not just the episodes but the LA originals as well, after the final episode? I'm actually looking forward to it. It's been ages since I played MI2 and CMI (played the SoMI:SE this summer) and while I often started a new game of EMI, I always grew tired of it somewhere on Lucre.
Nah. I replay the first games on a (almost) yearly basis and I did that just before ToMI came out. About time I started season 2 of S&M.

EMI is tiresome, I agree. There are really good bits in there I think, but overall it's a mediocre game, especially for a MI entry.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:29 AM   #282

I played through SOMI SE a few months ago, and I'm far into MI2 at the moment, playing it on and off for a long time. I also just got to Jambalaya Island on EMI, which I hate, but I'll get through it somehow I hope.

I plan on playing through each of the Tales chapters after the last one, so it feels more like one complete game. I'm also thinking of playing through CMI with my daughter. We'll see how it turns out, she's too young to understand english yet.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 AM   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
I plan on playing through each of the Tales chapters after the last one, so it feels more like one complete game. I'm also thinking of playing through CMI with my daughter. We'll see how it turns out, she's too young to understand english yet.
I think it's available in German as well.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaios View Post
I think it's available in German as well.
She doesn't understand German either, she's Norwegian, just like her father.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #285
LA-S-LE

Loved the 4th installment - now that's how the real follow-up should be done. The storyline has lots of surpsing twists, there were plenty of good jokes, and - finally - some emotions. I even enjoyed Stan and his jacket, though the character is not like he used to be (Stan, not jacket). And the jungle puzzle was brilliant.
The only things that disturbed me were
Spoiler:
the two deaths in front of camera, something that Monkey Island managed to avoid untill now. Even though there were plenty of talks about dead pirates and skeletons, moments like this are a bit too much for a family game such is this.

But other than that it was a real joy. And plenty of place for an epic final.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #286
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
...too much for a family game such as this.
Too much? Family game such as this? What about the severed head of the navigator with a necklace made of plucked out eyes in MI1, or the cook being resurrected into a rotting zombie and then turning into ashes again in MI2? Not to mention the severed hand in TOMI (I didn't easily get over heroes loosing their hands as a kid). And then we have all those sexual jokes in TOMI...
Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #287

Also, to add to the above post, I remember the ending to MI2. It was pretty grim for a 6 year old.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #288
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I remember Steve Purcell once told me that when painting the box art for Monkey Islands 1 and 2 he was at least somewhat instructed to make them a little more creepy/scary than the games actual contents, so that they wouldn't look like they were for little kids. The end result, though, I think, is that it just made them look even cooler for 10-15 year olds than it would have otherwise. I've never considered Monkey Island a "family game," though.

When I was much younger, playing Monkey Island 2 for the first time, it scared the pants off me when LeChuck came lurching into the underground tunnels, and then started torturing Guybrush with the voodoo doll. I was even more surprised when I used the voodoo doll on him and Guybrush ended up tearing his leg off, featuring exposed bone and muscle and stuff. Even though it was probably built out of like 24 pixels, it really grossed me out and shocked me. And I loved it!

Same goes for the corpse hanging from the tree in Monkey 1 - Herman Toothrot's old shipmate who was trapped on the island with him, and the ambiguity of how he got there, uncovering more as you read the notes and leaflets and ships log around the island. Did he commit suicide, or did Herman murder him, deliberately, or maybe accidentally in a delirious state? But really its not important, as you raise the water level and wash the corpse downriver, consequence free.

I think that's only one thing of many that Monkey Island is about, but I don't think occasional shocking and unsettling things shouldn't be there, nor do I think that sort of content should shy away from taking center stage now and then.

Last edited by Jake; 11-18-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #289

Heh, I never considered Monkey Island to be a "family game" either. It was no more family friendly than, for example, Indiana Jones.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:50 AM   #290
LA-S-LE

Well, yes, Monkey Island games always have some dark and violent motives in them. But until now they worked like parodies of.. just everything. Including cliched stories. MI was like a cartoon version of our world, with all those heads, skeletons and scenes included for the sake of laugh.
And I think they were ideal family games, as there was no strong language, no violence, no sex. Only parodies and subtitle jokes. It worked for both children and adults.
But now everything have gone too serious. I don't mind it, it's just.. not canonical.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #291
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

I still don't understand where you see the difference. If anything TOMI is a bit less serious than the first three games, but in general it is exactly like them.

The only part I consider really different in style is Escape of Monkey Island which was more of a parody of Monkey Island and a satire of consumerism than the kind of fun and emotional pirate adventure story as the others.

Also, I'm not sure why are you pushing the "family games" term on the series like it is some proof of greatness - maybe you could explain why does it mean so much to you?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #292
LA-S-LE

I also think ToMI is close to the first games (well, to 1 & 2, CoMI was a letdown for me). But even the latter ones never showed the deaths of characters and - what's even more important - never took them so serious.
As for family games - I think it's very hard to make a good family game that would appeal to both children and adults. Most of such attempts end up with some cheesy licened arcade games with Disney humour and very few interesting ideas.
I think Monkey Island series are among very few game that really managed to catch the spirit of "games for all ages", where everyone will feel themselves at home.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #293

This could be an extremely long shot (and probably is), but check out the update on www.telltalegames.com. Is it just me, or does the screen announcing the fifth chapter look a bit like a flooded version of the Scabb Island cemetery? Maybe it's just my hopefulness (I've wanted to go back to that island since Lechuck's Revenge)...
Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #294

I don't think so, but it looks awesome either way.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #295
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
Is it just me, or does the screen announcing the fifth chapter look a bit like a flooded version of the Scabb Island cemetery?
Nope. What you see is Coffin Island.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #296

It reminded me of Scabb as well, but I think it's just natural influences.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #297
More slaw!!!

Okay guys, I've been really wanting to ask this but I didn't want to start a new thread for it and make it look like I'm trolling.

I've been playing Tales on the Wii (because, sadly, it is not on Xbox Live) and I have found the graphics to be really, really bad. Really ugly. I'm not usually one to care about graphics. But to me, it just looks really bad. It took me a while to get past the graphics and start enjoying the game - which I did thoroughly enjoy once I got into it.

What I am wondering is this: does it look any better on PC? Would I be better off getting it on PC, or does it look pretty much the same?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:18 AM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur View Post
Okay guys, I've been really wanting to ask this but I didn't want to start a new thread for it and make it look like I'm trolling.

I've been playing Tales on the Wii (because, sadly, it is not on Xbox Live) and I have found the graphics to be really, really bad. Really ugly. I'm not usually one to care about graphics. But to me, it just looks really bad. It took me a while to get past the graphics and start enjoying the game - which I did thoroughly enjoy once I got into it.

What I am wondering is this: does it look any better on PC? Would I be better off getting it on PC, or does it look pretty much the same?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c18GltJpqkU
Old 11-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #299
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Oh, my. Pretty drastic differences.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #300
fov
Rattenmonster

Of course, how it looks on your PC depends on your video card etc. But the graphics are higher res on the PC.