You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure LucasArts teases about more big news!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #41
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
I didn't say this idea hurts anyone, just that I do not understand this decision marketing-wise. My prediction is that this would prove to be a bad idea as these games will not sell, but I would love to be found wrong.
Putting up games they've already made for sale on a new medium which has zero manufacturing costs. How can you think that's in any way a bad business decision?

Quote:
Actually, they said the released Loom version would be the CD-ROM one. If you haven't played the floppy-disk version yet, then I strongly recommend that you play it first - I really didn't like the new graphic style of the CD version, plus they removed some of the dialogs and puzzles.
I've played the game several times, thanks.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
Putting up games they've already made for sale on a new medium which has zero manufacturing costs. How can you think that's in any way a bad business decision?
Maybe I can think it if I don't know it has zero manufacturing costs
Don't they have to port the SCUMM engine to work on Windows XP, as well as extensively test the games to make sure the port didn't introduce any new bugs?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #43
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

On Wednesday, people will log onto Steam and see a big ad for Loom staring them in the face...how is that not exciting news? LucasArts have actually found a feasible way of releasing adventure games again, that's the best news this genre has had in years.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 07-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #44
Psychonaut

Some people are just never happy whatever you do.

Lucasarts for years was under management that was only interested in Star Wars and ignored their back catalogue. Now they have a CEO who is an known adventure game fan and is happy to start doing stuff with their old IP's.

They are remaking MI, gave telltale the MI license to play with, releasing some of their old games for a new market and most probably coming out with Ipod versions at some point (the CEO more or less announced it with a nod, nod wink wink comment).

It's good to see Lucasarts acknowledge their back catalogue and giving it some love.

It's a good start.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post

Lucasarts for years was under management that was only interested in Star Wars and ignored their back catalogue. Now they have a CEO who is an known adventure game fan and is happy to start doing stuff with their old IP's.

They are remaking MI, gave telltale the MI license to play with, releasing some of their old games for a new market and most probably coming out with Ipod versions at some point (the CEO more or less announced it with a nod, nod wink wink comment).

It's good to see Lucasarts acknowledge their back catalogue and giving it some love.

It's a good start.
*hmph* it's really annoying these days that you can't complain about anything without being regarded as a common internet troll. I'm really glad about Lucasarts giving telltale the license to do a new monkey island (and I can't wait for it to be released already!). I'm also pretty happy regarding the new version of Monkey Island 1 (although it's not as exciting for me, since I already have the old version and I'm pretty much happy with it).

These news regarding Steam... can't see the excitement in that. Nice of Lucasarts to acknowledge their back catalogue, but they're not really giving it too much love since as Tobacco said this has zero manufacturing cost.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #46
Life and times of...

Finally a chance to get the Indiana Jones games. And Loom too, though I'll start with Indy...

Excellent! (and better than what I expected)

Now if just Vivendi or whatever it's called nowadays would take note.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #47

Quote:

It's a good start.
I'm definitely happy for the people that now finally have the chance to legally purchase and play these classic games, and yes, it's a good start. Let's hope something good comes out of this.

But I also completely agree with JohnGreenArt. They shouldn't have hyped it as "something new for the old fans," because that's exactly what it isn't. And though this deal with Steam isn't a bad thing per se, it has left some of the old fans, like myself and, I think, JohnGreenArt, somewhat disappointed after the anticipation of something "awesome." This isn't "awesome." It's a good deal, that's all.

Oh, and is there a specific thread to introduce oneself properly? Guess I should do that now, after this post.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #48
Psychonaut

Quote:
These news regarding Steam... can't see the excitement in that. Nice of Lucasarts to acknowledge their back catalogue, but they're not really giving it too much love since as Tobacco said this has zero manufacturing cost.
Never called you a Troll, besides it wasn't aimed specifically at you, but at the general meh response to the announcement.

Sure we would all love them to announce a brand new adventure game IP, but realistically they are not going to do that.

I wasn't overly excited about the Telltale doing MI announcement as I too would have prefered something new and I didn't think that the standard Telltale game template will work with MI (although I hope to be proven wrong), but i'm happy overall that Lucasarts are actually doing something with the IP's rather than keeping them locked in a cupboard.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:58 AM   #49

Quote:
Never called you a Troll, besides it wasn't aimed specifically at you, but at the general meh response to the announcement.
Of course you weren't aiming specifically at me, I was speaking on behalf of all of us giving the general meh response

Last edited by Matan; 07-07-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:46 AM   #50
Thats the ticket

I think price might be a factor here. Does anyone know what they will charge for Loom and Indy?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:18 AM   #51
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Actually, they said the released Loom version would be the CD-ROM one. If you haven't played the floppy-disk version yet, then I strongly recommend that you play it first - I really didn't like the new graphic style of the CD version, plus they removed some of the dialogs and puzzles.
But the CD version is the only one available, so I'll happily play that anyway.

Quote:
Maybe I can think it if I don't know it has zero manufacturing costs
Don't they have to port the SCUMM engine to work on Windows XP, as well as extensively test the games to make sure the port didn't introduce any new bugs?
Compared to doing a new game, that's no money. Besides, they had already made a Windows version of the SCUMM engine for Sam and Max a couple of years ago. Or maybe they are reusing what thay've done for Monkey Island?

Last edited by Trumgottist; 07-07-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #52
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivasawadee View Post
I think price might be a factor here. Does anyone know what they will charge for Loom and Indy?
Maaaaaybe $4.99 but $9.99 is more likely

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #53

They are up now, you can find them here.

The old adventure games are only $4.99 each! Which ones are worth buying?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #54
Schattenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post

Only 5 bucks???
Then i think it´s worth!

" I Can´t use these two Things Together"

Playing: Myst 4, So Blond, Memento Mori

Next in Line: The Black Mirror, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post

I definitely recommend Indy and the Fate of Atlantis; it hooked me on the genre. Many people will probably recommend the Dig, but I found it very painful to play (the story was decent). I've never played LOOM and will probably pick it up.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #56
Schattenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksurtur View Post
I definitely recommend Indy and the Fate of Atlantis; it hooked me on the genre. Many people will probably recommend the Dig, but I found it very painful to play (the story was decent). I've never played LOOM and will probably pick it up.
The Dig is boring. I recommend also "Fate of Atlantis" which is the best Indy game i have ever played.

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #57

I can't believe all the hard words the dig is getting here - it is great. Actually, if you haven't got them already, I'd buy Fate of Atlantis, The Dig and Loom (except for Loom as I said I much prefer the non-talkie version so maybe you could wait until they release that one). The Last Crusade isn't very good.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #58

after seeing the €3.99 pricetag i bought:

-the dig (played three times before)
-loom (never played)
-fate of atlantis (played countless times, note my avatar icon ;-) )

just some info: all the games have full voiceovers and another neat feature is they kinda played around with the graphics to make the edges not QUITE as hard and obvious as they once were. it almost has a sort of watercolor look.

Concerning "the dig" i DO understand some of the criticism that the game got as i can see how some people may find it boring. personally i love the atmosphere, its a very mature themed kind of game that deals with a lot of philosophical/existential questions. theres not much action there and more sort of exploration of an alien world and culture. i like it, but i accept that it may not be for everyone.

Last edited by tastebud; 07-08-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #59
Schattenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
after seeing the €3.99 pricetag i bought:

-the dig (played three times before)
-loom (never played)
-fate of atlantis (played countless times, note my avatar icon ;-) )

just some info: all the games have full voiceovers and another neat feature is they kinda played around with the graphics to make the edges not QUITE as hard and obvious as they once were. it almost has a sort of watercolor look.

Concerning "the dig" i DO understand some of the criticism that the game got as i can see how some people may find it boring. personally i love the atmosphere, its a very mature themed kind of game that deals with a lot of phisophical/existential questions. theres not much action there and more sort of exploration of an alien world and culture. i like it, but i accept that it may not be for everyone.
My problem withe The Dig is that is has a huge cool opening and when you arrive on the planet, things star to fall apart.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Malta View Post
My problem withe The Dig is that is has a huge cool opening and when you arrive on the planet, things star to fall apart.
personally i hate the beginning (hate is strong word but to me that one was kinda boring) how the tastes can differ