You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
J.H
Frak.

Default Design Documents

Hi guys, just wondered if you could help me with my game Mapoco Mountain.

I need to create a design document for it (had a some possible interest) but I'm finding it hard to complete and keep muddling everything up.

I look at an old leisure suite larry design doc but it just made no sense to me at all.

Just wondered if anyone could possibly help me with mine or show me a template that I can work with?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #2

You can find a variety of game design documents at the link below. Some are samples, others are tutorials, and others are templates. Should have enough for you to get the hang of things.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=23
Old 06-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoco View Post
Hi guys, just wondered if you could help me with my game Mapoco Mountain.

I need to create a design document for it (had a some possible interest) but I'm finding it hard to complete and keep muddling everything up.

I look at an old leisure suite larry design doc but it just made no sense to me at all.

Just wondered if anyone could possibly help me with mine or show me a template that I can work with?
I never wrote one myself for my game. It seemed like a complete waste of time. To-do-lists and notes from playtesters is all I ever needed.

Then again, I am the only designer working on the said game, so no discussions over the design elements are required.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
J.H
Frak.

Thanks guys. I didn't really want to write one either but I've been asked to send one.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Ah, I forgot you wanted to pitch your project to potential publishers. Maybe better wait with that until you have some kind of a demo ready.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Hol
3D artist

Well I did design documentation and level documentation modules at uni, so I might be able to help. The uni used Capture the Dude as their main template (awful game but maybe it can help you). The full design document can be found here: http://web.cs.wpi.edu/~id111x/c05/projects/proj1/gdd.html
For a more puzzle based document, search for the grim fandango one - you should still be able to find it out there somewhere. I personally think it's laid out very well.
Also, it's often good to make use of flowcharts and bubble diagrams!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hol View Post
Well I did design documentation and level documentation modules at uni, so I might be able to help. The uni used Capture the Dude as their main template (awful game but maybe it can help you). The full design document can be found here: http://web.cs.wpi.edu/~id111x/c05/projects/proj1/gdd.html
For a more puzzle based document, search for the grim fandango one - you should still be able to find it out there somewhere. I personally think it's laid out very well.
Also, it's often good to make use of flowcharts and bubble diagrams!
Thanks! I'm looking at the Grim Fandango one now it's very well laid out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Ah, I forgot you wanted to pitch your project to potential publishers. Maybe better wait with that until you have some kind of a demo ready.
I agree, I'm in the process of making one at the moment I just want to get everything together before I send it.

EDIT:
Under the heading CORE GAME PLAY do I put things like

* Discovers dark secret

* Has to flee town

* Gets lost in the forest

etc ?

Last edited by J.H; 06-19-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #8
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoco View Post
Thanks guys. I didn't really want to write one either but I've been asked to send one.
You should check what it is they want to see.
Do they want a design overview which covers the plot and the main flow of the gameplay?
Do they want all the puzzles detailed out so that they understand how they work?
Do they want a complete story/design/dialogue document?

If you have a complex game the latter could run to 500 pages and take months to complete.