You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure With the new Lucasarts/Telltale partnership, I just have to say it...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 07:07 AM   #1

Default With the new Lucasarts/Telltale partnership, I just have to say it...

...any chance of those two companies bringing "Sam and Max: Freelance Police" back from the dead?

Because there's like NO excuse NOT to at this point, in my opinion...
Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
kamikaze hummingbirds

Um... didn't they already do that?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Telltale has their own Sam and Max episodes. I don't see the point in trying to resurrect a long-dead project, when they're already doing those.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #4

I'd have a hard time seeing it, as well. But if LucasArts collaborated with TellTale on a Sam and Max Season 3, that'd be cool.

I'm more wondering if they could do anything with Full Throttle. Maybe better yet, Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle. I could see that making some good, short-and-sweet episodic games.

Or what if Steve Purcell began toying with The Defenders of Dynatron City?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Schättenjager

Imagine better Grim Fandango returns,episodic.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #6

There's absolutely no chance ever that it'll ever, ever, ever happen, ever, but I'd love to have seen Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix. That was one great idea for a script.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurtonMe View Post
There's absolutely no reason that it should ever, ever, ever happen, ever,
Fixed. (assuming you were talking about grim fandango)

Quote:
but I'd love to have seen Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix. That was one great idea for a script.
Now that's a good idea. I'm not familiar with the story of iron phoenix but it would be awesome to see any new indiana jones adventure...
Old 06-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Imagine better Grim Fandango returns,episodic.
I loved Grim Fandango, but the story was wrapped up pretty nicely at the end. I can't see it in episodic form.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
Um... didn't they already do that?

I was talking about the game!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
Telltale has their own Sam and Max episodes. I don't see the point in trying to resurrect a long-dead project, when they're already doing those.

Okay, I'm sick and tired of this "new is better" mentality that you people seem to be having. Show some respect! In particular, show some respect for the original voice actors of Sam and Max, since their voices haven't been heard in a while, and it sickens me that you people would rather cast them aside in favor of the new actors, which, in my opinion, aren't doing the series any justice.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I understand that you may be particularly attached to the original game, but no one is showing disrespect of any kind, neither toward the original installment nor toward the voice talents that animated it. And Dale post wasn't about a "new is better" attitude just for the sake of it: he rightfully pointed out that it is unlikely for Telltale to revamp a cancelled game when they already have a thriving Sam & Max series.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #12

Any chance of them making a real game instead of episodes?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I understand that you may be particularly attached to the original game, but no one is showing disrespect of any kind, neither toward the original installment nor toward the voice talents that animated it. And Dale post wasn't about a "new is better" attitude just for the sake of it: he rightfully pointed out that it is unlikely for Telltale to revamp a cancelled game when they already have a thriving Sam & Max series.
But I still don't think any of the data from that cancelled game should go to waste. I don't think that game should be thrown under the bus in favor of just all-new material. I think Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson worked too hard and put too much heart and soul into voicing Sam and Max to have their voicework cast aside in favor of second-rate people no one's ever heard of. I think both Lucasarts and Telltale should actually work on that game for the people who want to play it, because the Sam and Max fanbase does not consist entirely of people who want to play only the new games.

Please don't misunderstand me.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #14
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by youfightlikeadairyfarmer View Post
Any chance of them making a real game instead of episodes?
Why bother. Their episodic formula is almost flawless. Their production values are just as capable as a television series.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueg View Post
I loved Grim Fandango, but the story was wrapped up pretty nicely at the end. I can't see it in episodic form.
I'd love to see a small episodic game of Manny before he died though. Like a prequel leading up to his death.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Fixed. (assuming you were talking about grim fandango)

Now that's a good idea. I'm not familiar with the story of iron phoenix but it would be awesome to see any new indiana jones adventure...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana...e_Iron_Phoenix
Old 06-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #17
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Asp View Post

I was talking about the game!
Ow! My head!!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #18
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Asp View Post
But I still don't think any of the data from that cancelled game should go to waste. I don't think that game should be thrown under the bus in favor of just all-new material. I think Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson worked too hard and put too much heart and soul into voicing Sam and Max to have their voicework cast aside in favor of second-rate people no one's ever heard of. I think both Lucasarts and Telltale should actually work on that game for the people who want to play it, because the Sam and Max fanbase does not consist entirely of people who want to play only the new games.

Please don't misunderstand me.
I mean no offense, but what you're saying doesn't make much sense. Sam & Max is alive and thriving, and I'm sorry you don't like the current flavor, but from what i gather the episodic-style with the new cast/writers is obviously doing pretty well as a business model (which is why they're applying it to Monkey Island, Wallace/Gromit, Strong Bad, etc etc).

They have the rights and this is how they think they can make the most effective profit/quality product with it. I'm always amazed how people don't realize game design is a business, and that their livelihoods depend on making money with these games. The adventure game market has changed, and thanks to episodic games, and adventurous concepts and ideas like David Cages and the tons of independent producers, has in many ways evolved to survive in a difficult economic and gaming climate.

I'm sorry you don't like the new version - I've never played the original, but I love the new episodes, and probably I'm very much the market.

The reason I said your idea doesn't make sense is that it's almost like saying, hey, the Star Wars prequels suck, can we get someone to do another version that's more like Ep IV-VI? (If only this were possible) That's not going to happen, these people own the rights to Sam & Max, have brought them back from the dead, and have chosen a new re-tooled format, they're moving on with Sam & Max.

And I think we should, too.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
I mean no offense, but what you're saying doesn't make much sense. Sam & Max is alive and thriving, and I'm sorry you don't like the current flavor, but from what i gather the episodic-style with the new cast/writers is obviously doing pretty well as a business model (which is why they're applying it to Monkey Island, Wallace/Gromit, Strong Bad, etc etc).

They have the rights and this is how they think they can make the most effective profit/quality product with it. I'm always amazed how people don't realize game design is a business, and that their livelihoods depend on making money with these games. The adventure game market has changed, and thanks to episodic games, and adventurous concepts and ideas like David Cages and the tons of independent producers, has in many ways evolved to survive in a difficult economic and gaming climate.

I'm sorry you don't like the new version - I've never played the original, but I love the new episodes, and probably I'm very much the market.

The reason I said your idea doesn't make sense is that it's almost like saying, hey, the Star Wars prequels suck, can we get someone to do another version that's more like Ep IV-VI? (If only this were possible) That's not going to happen, these people own the rights to Sam & Max, have brought them back from the dead, and have chosen a new re-tooled format, they're moving on with Sam & Max.

And I think we should, too.
That's just a fancy way of saying "new is better". I'm not falling for that.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #20
Super Moderator

If you're not willing to even listen to what other people have to say, this thread won't end well.