You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island coming soon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Hopeful skeptic

Default Tales of Monkey Island coming soon

Some new Monkey Island adventures anyone?

Copy of our latest news item, for your drooling convenience:

--------

No need to pinch yourselves, Monkey Island fans. The long-hoped-for next installment of the immensely popular franchise is about to become reality, as LucasArts and Telltale Games announced today that a new episodic series called Tales of Monkey Island will be launched next month.

While recent news of the Secret of Monkey Island remake was already welcome, "Monkey Island 5" was what fans have really been clamouring for since the release of 2000's Escape from Monkey Island. Rather than a full-fledged sequel, the new series to be developed by Telltale will follow the familiar monthly-release format of the studio's other episodic adventures. The "season" will consist of five episodes on PC and the Nintendo Wii, but unlike the relatively standalone Sam & Max, Strong Bad and Wallace & Gromit episodes, Tales of Monkey Island promises to be more of a serialized adventure. While still delivering a self-contained experience in each installment, the overall storyline will be a much more cohesive focus throughout the full season. According to the series FAQ, "during a heated battle with his nemesis, the evil pirate LeChuck, Guybrush unwittingly unleashes an insidious pox that rapidly spreads across the Caribbean, turning pirates into zombie-like monsters. The Voodoo Lady sends Guybrush in search of a legendary sea sponge to stem the epidemic, but this seemingly straightforward quest has surprises around every corner."

The PC debut of Tales of Monkey Island will be on July 7th, with the WiiWare release schedule still being finalized. PC adventurers can already pre-order the full season for $34.95 from the official website, and as a pre-order special, customers will get an exclusive DVD slipcover painted by Steve Purcell (the artist responsible for the box covers of Monkey Island 1 and 2 back in the day).

The irony of today's news is not lost on adventure fans, as Telltale was formed five years ago by several LucasArts veterans when the once-dominant company turned its back on the genre. Of course, that made it easy for LucasArts to find suitable talent for its franchise, and the fit should be a natural one for Telltale. We'll know more for sure very shortly, so stay tuned to Adventure Gamers for a first-hand look at Tales of Monkey Island from a pre-E3 demonstration.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #2

http://www.telltalegames.com has images and more info now!

Wow, LucasArts is learning!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #3

W T F!? that was a huge double blow from lucas arts and telltale....I'm speechless....
Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #4

And Dominic Armato is back as Guybrush on this as well.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Even if I'm not a fan, this is an awesome news!

Damn you, Activision Blizzard: LEARN!!!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #6

Were Schafer and/or Gilbert not willing to do this or were they even asked? This may be too much like Escape when it should have been done like Curse. Also, episodes aren't as good as a full game so I may just wait to play it. But no, that won't happen because I'm still excited about this because it's a new MI.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #7

This is surely the most "Megaton" of the megatons that I will hear at E3 this year!!!! I cannot believe it. And the fact that Telltale is doing it certainly leads one to believe that LucasArts are not complete and utter idiots.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Psychonaut

Seriously !!

Wasn't that horse flogged enough. Can't we have something original?

I suppose it's nice that some of the original developers are involved, but i'm nervous that it's going to have all the challenge that the original games posed sucked out like all of the other Telltale games.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
Psychonaut

P.S the remake looks ace though. I like how you can switch between the old and new grahics on the fly.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to bandidoquest

Today was a great day indeed, this game easily became my most expected game to be released this year! =)

Here's hoping that it won't stop with Monkey Island, it would be wonderful for the adventure gaming world in general if LucasArts started making those wonderful games again.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #11

I wonder if the developers will work with Ron Gilbert to reveal at last the real secret of monkey island (if there is one).
Old 06-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by youfightlikeadairyfarmer View Post
Were Schafer and/or Gilbert not willing to do this or were they even asked?
Gilbert was a story consultant on Tales of Monkey Island, and Dave Grossman's on the design team! So, there's that. www.grumpygamer.com

Also, when Gilbert was in doing story brainstorming he didn't reveal the Secret. Or did he??? (He didn't. (Or did he?))
Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
Irritant F0rum Beasty

If Telltale can do for Guybrush what they did for Sam & Max then I will eternally grateful(er).

Having watched the trailer for the first time I have high hopes that they will be able to recreate the razor sharp wit of the originals. I particularly like the bit where the Pox momentarily turns Guybrush into a real pirate.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #14

I still can't believe this is happening. I'm still in shock. I thought it was a joke at first, but then saw it was available for pre-order. I can't believe it's happening this soon too. Let's just say I never thought I would see a continuation of Monkey Island in my lifetime. *Worships Telltale*
Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
Monkey Island Fan

I can't see anything else at E3 eclipsing this.

Pre-ordered!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #16
Club a seal or two

I'm doing everything in my power to stop myself from crying in joy right now (because i'm at work). Man, it's so surreal. I haven't been able to play any videogames in the past 2 months because of some f-ed up nerve damage in both my arms - I do sure hope they heal by July!

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 06-01-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Please keep cursing to a minimum.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #17

This is so unbelievably unexpected and awesome.

HOWEVER, I'm not happy about the graphics and the idea of it being like Sam & Max, as decent as those games were. I'm just not a big fan of that graphic and gameplay style, I'd so much rather have a more classic, detailed, perhaps hand drawn look.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #18

I really hope this is a serious reawakening for LucasArts, and they go on to develop more adventure games
Old 06-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll View Post
This is so unbelievably unexpected and awesome.

HOWEVER, I'm not happy about the graphics and the idea of it being like Sam & Max, as decent as those games were. I'm just not a big fan of that graphic and gameplay style, I'd so much rather have a more classic, detailed, perhaps hand drawn look.
this is exactly the same what i feel about this

the look and style of the Curse of Monkey Island is the winning one for me, but if i run now on my computer second or even first part of the MI i wouldnt have problems with the graphics. no offense to great efforts by Telltale Games, but the episodic look of new Monkey Island is not exactly what i thought Monkey Island 5 would be. However, its not that the graphics are not good, i like appereance that resemblence the Monkey 2, and the voices are great, and if i m not mistaken Dominic Armato is both in special edition by Lucas and in Telltale series? because he IS Guybrush, one and only ;]

as for the remake, its great, a little bit fancy here and there but still in good old style. i d like to see remake of LeChuck Revenge also

Last edited by diego; 06-01-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
this is exactly the same what i feel about this

the look and style of the Curse of the Monkey Island is the winning one for me, but if i run now on my computer second or even first part of the MI i wouldnt have problem with the graphics. no offense to great efforts by Telltale Games, but the episodic look of new Monkey Island reminds me a little bit of a casual games, and thats not exactly what i thought Monkey Island 5 would be. However, its not that the graphics are not good, i like appereance that resemblence the Monkey 2, and the voices are great, and if i m not mistaken Dominic Armato is both in special edition by Lucas and in Telltale series? because he IS Guybrush, one and only ;]
while i loved MI 3, i'm even more old school than you MI1 and MI2 are on a pedestal of their own far above the others for me. I love the graphic style, the atmosphere, the interface, Ron Gilbert's plot, just everything is perfection. i even have mixed feelings about Dominic Armato and the rest of the voice acting. i often find the writing funnier reading it on that font style with the voices in my head then hearing them say it. that may sound weird, but it's true.