You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper is out!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #1

Default Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper is out!

Saw a tip on gameboomers that SH vs JtR is available from the Adventure Shop!
I've been waiting for this one because I really liked the previous episodes. It looks very good so far!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #2

Nonax, did you download it here from Adventureshop?

I bought and downloaded it early this afternoon and received the French version. Already contacted the friendly support team in the hope that the mistake can be rectified.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #3

Not yet, I was looking around a bit and found out that Amazon is selling a hard copy. I'm tempted to go in that direction...

But it must be a simple mistake. The original SH site is indeed also in French. Main mon francais et ausi ne perfect pas! (or something like that)

Good luck with helpdesk and the anxious waiting
Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
scapegoat sculptor

There are at least two more people posting on the forum of the game itself who actually received the French version instead of the English one (..or are you one of them Mieze? )
Has anyone more feedback on this?
I'm really eager to buy this game - but in English. Seriously Holmes in French (...even if French is an extremely beautiful language indeed) - noooo waaay!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #5

Yes, French is a wonderful language and Holmes has a beautiful voice in the French version. But my French is too poor to be able to appreciate the game fully.

Well, mistakes happen, no problem. The important thing is that somebody will come to our rescue and save our weekend.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
scapegoat sculptor

Hey anyone still here to keep us updated on the language mix-up - MIEZE??

u still here??????

Oh yeah, just in case someone wants to download it:
Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper
the Uk Adventure shop: £29.99
the European Adventure Shop:€29.99
the US Adventure Shop:19.99$
So I definitely recommend the US version...hehehe
Old 05-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #7

Seems like there was indeed some mix-up with the files,Trampoline.
But we'll get a download link to the English version when it is up.

Well, good things are worth waiting for, I guess.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #8

I look forward to hearing something about the game. I'm not so much a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I find him to be somewhat boring and contrived, but I've always been intrigued by the mystery of Jack the Ripper.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzler View Post
I look forward to hearing something about the game. I'm not so much a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I find him to be somewhat boring and contrived, but I've always been intrigued by the mystery of Jack the Ripper.
definately download the demo and make up your mind. this seems to be pretty historically correct from what i've seen and read on wikipedia
Old 05-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramponline View Post
the Uk Adventure shop: £29.99
the European Adventure Shop:€29.99
the US Adventure Shop:19.99$
So I definitely recommend the US version...hehehe
What are the URL's? I automatically arrive at the UK shop...
Old 05-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

Replace UK with US, ie try http://us-adventureshop.gamesplanet....R?affiliate=AG .
Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
scapegoat sculptor

Hey fellas, how about the French-English language issue - has it been resolved yet?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramponline View Post
Hey fellas, how about the French-English language issue - has it been resolved yet?
yes it has. i bought it yesterday, no problems.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
scapegoat sculptor

so tell me, tell me!!! - how's the overall impression, mood playing the game so far tastebud? (don't give away too much details though!!!)

...can't play it right now - still have to take some exams next week...
Old 05-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Aubstopper

i'm currently playing the game and i really like it so far...basically if you liked the other ones (ie awakened and nemesis), you'll like this one...the graphics are a little better too!

they've added a cool feature where you recreate and repiece together the murders using the facts that you've acquired from around the crime scene to arrive at plausible conclusions.

btw..i'm taking exams from now through the second week of june, but i suppose i'm much more of a irresponsible student than you are :-P
Old 05-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #16

I've been excited for this game and am currently playing it. I'm not disappointed, but so far it is a little too easy and starting off a bit slow. I loved the challenge of the last ones. I'm not nearly done (I hope) so maybe it will pick up. It's still fun and definitely worth getting if you liked the last two.

As long as I'm on my soapbox, let me say that it should be REQUIRED for adventure gamers to play the older Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes games, both one AND especially two. They are absolutely phenomenal adventure games.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll View Post
As long as I'm on my soapbox, let me say that it should be REQUIRED for adventure gamers to play the older Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes games, both one AND especially two. They are absolutely phenomenal adventure games.
Hear hear, I'm hoping that GOG.com get hold of them, but that would require negotiation with Electronic Arts and I don't think that would be easy.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #18

OK I finished SH vs JR last night. I liked the little tie-in at the end.

I'm a bit disappointed though, I don't think it's quite as good as the last two. The bottom line is that you'd think a legendary adversary like Jack the Ripper would make this the most epic game yet, and it's just not. I played it almost straight through though, in just a few sessions, never getting bored. So it IS worth playing.

I stand by my statement that the puzzles were largely too easy. I was shocked by how many could be solved by trial and error, a couple of times I did this and didn't even know why I just solved it....that should never happen. Some of them just didn't make a lot of sense either, or seemed unnecessarily forced and not integrated with the story. Some of them were good though.

The hand-holding in the game was annoying to me, too. "Let's go to the cobbler's!", "Take out the map and go to _______", "here's the plan: ______, just fetch me these items." Let ME figure that stuff out! I hate when games give you the answers or the next step up front or make it TOTALLY obvious, and then just make you do the leg work to get there. It's one of the major problems I've had with AGs of this decade. It's also one of the things I really wasn't expecting from this game, as the last ones had a nice hands-off challenge to them and that's why I liked them.

Another problem I have with the game is the atmosphere just isn't there how it should be. The graphics are good, but I didn't feel a hint of dread or creepiness or suspense or real Whitechapel or anything. It was pretty sterile, and the events that happen and the scenes along with them weren't powerful. For the story of Jack The Ripper, you want to really feel the horror and atmosphere, and connection to history.

There was way too much retreading, and no change of scenery whatsoever. It's the same places the whole game, the only difference being time of day, everything else being precisely the same. Just back and forth.

All in all, it just fell far short of expectations. However it's still worth getting, and there's a lot going right with it as it is within the same ballpark as the other games. I just wanted to get these complaints off my chest.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:05 AM   #19

I haven't finished it yet but i kinda like it. More than the previous games. With all the deductions and stuff it never gets boring.

But i agree it's a bit easy. Too easy. It's almost impossible to get stuck, since Holmes or Watson tell you where to go most of the time. And while the deduction stuff is fun it's also a bit stupid since you can't be wrong. You just click until it's green... i'd rather have a sistem where i can be wrong...

Last edited by xxax; 06-01-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxax View Post
I haven't finished it yet but i kinda like it. More than the previous games. With all the deductions and stuff it never gets boring.

But i agree it's a bit easy. Too easy. It's almost impossible to get stuck, since Holmes or Watson tell you where to go most of the time. And while the deduction stuff is fun it's also a bit stupid since you can't be wrong. You just click until it's green... i'd rather have a sistem where i can be wrong...
exactly. trial and error works even faster than logic a lot of the times.

i really hate when games trim all the challenge away