You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #1

Default About Overclocked

Bought the game last May. Didn't have the time that's one thing, the other is that trying to save finishing all the of my adventure games collection. Last night, I played Chapter. Love it! The voice acting is very good and in-game conversation is Contemporary. Character interaction coupled with cut-scenes is nocely done. In a way, it reminds me of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.

I also like 3rd person presentation, lately there are a few good titles which use 1st person touch and click wich spoils the game.

By the way, how many of you play adventure games at night time? I love that atmosphere for games like Overclocked I mean the music, also Post-Mortem(finished), NiBuRu and The Black Mirror I.

I like Overclocked so far, the music, plot, presentation has compensated for the blocky graphics which isn't that bad.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Raz Mataz

Send a message via MSN to Raz Mataz

That is so true...it looks quite similar to Fahrenheit...but anyway I loved it! There was always a feeling of tenseness going on throughout the story..
Old 04-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #3

Yes, overclocked was a great game. I enjoyed it immensely.
Unfortunately, since then I've yet to play an adventure game as good.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #4

Overclocked was a fascinating game--from its writing to cutscenes and gameplay.

I only wish more games were like it!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
Banned User

I always thought Fahrenheit reminded me of Moment of Silence. The main characters are alike.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #6

Yes it is a very good game, unique to me, as I havent played an adventure game where you unveil the sequence of events in this way/style. Although the only drawback for me, was that the time spent in the other characters memories, were too short, and too much of a stop/start feeling. But it comes togher nicely at the end.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
in-game conversation is Contemporary.
May I ask what do you mean by that?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
May I ask what do you mean by that?
What I meant was that the conversation is very American, it is unlike those in other games like The Black Mirror, NiBiRu...they have an accent.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:47 AM   #9

Quote:
By the way, how many of you play adventure games at night time?
Having little kids, that's the only time I can play. Often with earphones, which adds to the experience. Overclocked is just great, I can't recall other game with such an interesting main character. Well, I do, but not adventure games, expect perhaps Sanitarium.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #10
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Overclocked is a solid little thriller. It tells an interesting story in a unique way with some cool plot twists and a couple of really tense set pieces. There are a few problems that hold it back from being great however; the game tends to be incredibly dull and tedious when you're not hypnotizing the amnesiac teens. Running around New York as the psychiatrist getting into fights, smashing up your hotel room and repeatedly phoning your wife and best friend to yell at them just isn't as fun as the suspenseful recollections and can be a chore to play through. And while the recollections themselves are usually fun to play, the constant backtracking from one cell to the other can get annoying, especially when it's sometimes unclear who you're supposed to talk to next or how you're supposed to trigger their memory. It's not perfect but the good outweighs the bad and I think it's definitely worth a look for people who haven't played it yet.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 04-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #11

To derive pleasure from an adventure games, there are in fact many ways and they all depend on what mood you are in, what kind of storyline you are looking for and whether you like cartoons like "Murder in the Abbey"...etc.

Since I have played Fahrenheit a couple of years back, the game has set some sort of benchmark in adventure gaming. I myself don't classify any action/adventure blend as adventure games. But even so, Fahrenheit is an adventure game to me and I like the game very much. It is not quite fair to relate Overclocked to Fahrenheit if we are talking about the overall storyline or more precisely the plot. But in terms of voice acting, conversations and script, Overclocked is very good.

I do agree that gameplay is a bit clumsy and there are not overwheming number of scenes. But the storyline basically compensates pretty well over that.

I am now up to Chapter 4 and I really like how quickly the story develops and the conversations is so realistic that I am totally immersed into it. How many super-natural stories we are told in other titles for the last few years? It is not very common to have a story so real life I say. There aren't any real puzzles in th egame most of them are quite straight forward if they are. So in a way this is very similar to the style of Fahrenheit in which you are being told a story, like watching a movie. Next time I play it again I probably use a video recording software to record it so that I can play it like a movie later.

It is a 4/5 rating in my views.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #12

Default Overclocked - A game title well named

The ending is excellent!

Haven't played such good titles for years since after Fahrenheit.

Why would many review s give this game just an above average ratings? It should be a 9/10 ratings, I like the ending, but what the police car's for?

And poor Detective!
Old 05-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
Adventure Dude =]

I hate first person view adventure games. I like seeing the character. Many great adventure games have been 3rd person, so all I look for are those.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #14

I totally agree with you. The only exception to me is "Post Mortem". Despite it is in 1st person view most of the time, however, you can always see the main character in 3rd person uring cutscene.

I also do not like 1st person view.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #15

Quote:
I like the ending, but what the police car's for?
Well, obviously the police are after him, and they catch him. I guess it's up to the player to decide whether justice is going to be served or not, and also what happens with his wife.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Am I the only one who thought the introduction movie in this game was very well done, it just was rather unexpected.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
Game fanatic

Contrary to what seems to be the common belief here, I thought Overclocked was a deeply troubled game devoid of the thrill of exploration that I've come to expect of games such as the Gabriel Knight series, Broken Sword series, Fahrenheit or even The Longest Journey.

My main complaints would be:
- Mediocre dialog
- Obtuse puzzles, of which half revolve around some very unconvincing and nonintuitive psychotherapy
- Not much reward in exploring anything but the main storyline
- (Spoiler) Almost no actual drama between the characters in the bunker (which is supposed to be the dramatical highlight). A lot of oh-Christ-it-was-hell breathy-breathy sweaty-sweaty exposition, but very little meaning to be derived from it.
- Rubbish climax that left me feeling cheated
- (Spoiler) The David and girlfriend drama failed to engage

On the more positive side:
- Excellent music (although too little)
- Good concept
- Decent sound design and mood
- Decent interface

I preferred Black Mirror to Overclocked by a country mile, and Black Mirror was a deeply mediocre game on some levels as well. I'm playing Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust at the moment, and even that, troubled as it is, is more entertaining to me than Overclocked was.

It was a shame, I was really looking forward to that game. I wished all the best to any small-team adventure developer out there, and House of Tales in particular, and I still do, but their game didn't do it at all for me.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oerhört View Post
Contrary to what seems to be the common belief here, I thought Overclocked was a deeply troubled game devoid of the thrill of exploration that I've come to expect of games such as the Gabriel Knight series, Broken Sword series, Fahrenheit or even The Longest Journey.
I have to partly agree with you. While the overall concept was excellent, the actual gameplay was terrible in some sense. In fact, I openly confess I walked-through most of the game, and did not regret doing so. On the other hand, was is left behind is a general story that's very interesting, with a very unusual main character. Compare this with e.g. Fahrenheit, which is a very playable game (very little w/t for this one is needed) but whose overall story is quite mediocre in the end.

To summarize: imho, it's not just the game, it's also the feeling that remains.