You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Community playthrough #9: Zork Grand Inquisitor has begun!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
Senior *female* member

Default Community playthrough #9: Zork Grand Inquisitor has begun!

The Scene of the Week on AG's front page made me drool... I want to replay Zork GI again. This time I am determined to finish the long list of fun things to do, at Mr. Bill's Adventureland. All 81 of them.

Anybody care to join me? Hardcore fans or poor souls who haven't played ZGI and need to be convinced it's the funniest game ever? (quoting our own AFGNCAAP). We could turn it into a community playthrough, but no big deal if nobody is interested, I'm going to replay it anyway.

BTW, there's a cool little program which installs the game on your harddisk so you don't need the disks anymore. No more tedious diskswapping. Works in XP, don't know about Vista. http://ccboomer.123mail.org/ The only drawback is that you'll miss the fun of the Frobozz Electric installation.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
Dungeon Master

I am! I had actually reinstalled the game just to make sure I was quoting it correctly yesterday (I guess it makes me a geek, if not a hardcore fan), and fell in love with it all over again.

I won't be able to join before Saturday, though. To be honest, I am not even supposed to post on forums at the moment.

PS. If anybody doesn't want to miss the installation, and yet get rid of the disk swapping, follow these instructions rather than using the program Fienepien linked to. It is slightly more work, but nothing too advanced.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I'd be interested, even if I can't start to play this week. Also, I have no previous knowledge of the Zork universe (I only played, and not entirely, the first one): is this a problem?

Oh, and for a future playthrough, I'd like to propose Gabriel Knight 3, so I can give you the savegame, Fienepien, right when you need it!

PS: Fienepien... how's Memento Mori? I can't wait to play it.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 04-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #4

I would, but my copy of Zork: Nemesis has just come through the post so I'll be busy with that game.

Speaking of which, I know this should be discussed in the tec section, but now that we're here, the panaramic rotation on Nemesis moves far too quickly in that it's very hard to look in the specific direction I'm wanting too without getting disorientated, even when I turn it to slow.

Is this because my computer is too powerful? Is there a way to look around at a slower speed?

I have tried using the direct buttons but if I put the mouse pointer anywhere near the edge it jumps suddenly, and I can't use the buttons to look up and down.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Lazy Bee

I just might join you, but I have to think about it for a while. There's plenty to do outside in the garden, great weather and also lots to do on the boat before launching.
When will you be starting?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
Schättenjager

I've replayed about a year ago.Still such a charming piece of Zork.Most entertaining Zork no doubt, if anyone just
wants to shift through the game i can send save files.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Easily amused

I've been meaning to replay this, so I'd be interested. I actually got the DVD version as well.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #8

It' s one of the games i want to replay.

I replayed Gabriel Knight 3 last year, so i'm not interested in a playthrough with this game (but a good choice for a playthrough).
Old 04-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
The Quiet One

I wouldn't mind a playthrough of either Gabriel Knight 3 or ZGI. I haven't played any of the Zork games and i was actually looking into this one the other day. I may get it at some point, i'm just not sure when.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Super Moderator

I think I have this game. Don't yell at me because I can't remember. If I do have it, I'll try to join in because I've only heard good things about the game.

Also, Terramax, check your PMs. I answered your Zork Nemesis question. (hopefully)
Old 04-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #11
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I have no previous knowledge of the Zork universe (I only played, and not entirely, the first one): is this a problem?
Not at all.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Also, Terramax, check your PMs. I answered your Zork Nemesis question. (hopefully)
Thanks for that, I'll try it.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #13

Replying to the individual above about the fast panning in Zork Nemesis.

Your fast cpu is probably the problem. I beat it years ago on an 133mhz machine...and it ran smooth and slow. Then recently went to show my wife, and promptly made her sick with the panning. Couldn't find a way to slow it down...but I think there are pc slowdown programs, or emulators, that could help.

Last edited by jonday8bit; 04-17-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Didn't reference the post I'm replying to.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #14
Senior *female* member

Hey, cool that so many fellow Adventure Persons want to visit the Great Underground Empire! (Sorry about the belated reply, every time I started writing a post RL interfered.)

So this is going to be AG Community Playthrough #9, I suppose. When do we start? Next Mud Day, Grues Day? Finding a good point to stop might be a problem later on, the game is fairly non-linear, as the old hands know. As our first episode we could play until you can actually use the subway train. But it's just a suggestion. Other ideas?

I think there may be another reason why AFGNCAAP is right about not using the program I recommended. I suspect it turns off the captions automatically whenever the "invisible" disks are swapped.

Melanie, the ZGI panning on my new computer is too fast as well. If your answer to Terramax also applies to ZGI, could you please post it here?

Andrea, you'll just have to give this crazy world a chance. As Jelena said, it takes some getting used to. But as long as you know what a grue is you'll be fine... I hope. I would love a GK3 community playthrough, and I'm sure many people would, so let's have one soon! About Memento Mori: I'm disappointed, haven't gotten very far though, what with Still Life 2 and the Lost Crown playthrough. Nothing exciting going on so far. Maybe it will get better, I'll let you know.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:29 AM   #15
Easily amused

I'm going to tryand install the game this weekend. I'm hoping I can get the DVD version to work on my Win 98. Worse case scenario, I should be able to use my Win95 for the CD version.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:28 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Melanie, the ZGI panning on my new computer is too fast as well. If your answer to Terramax also applies to ZGI, could you please post it here?
Sure! If it works for ZGI, then cool. I used CPU Killer. It's a shareware program that's free for the first 30 days. I believe there are some other slowdown programs too. That really helped with Zork Nemesis. Not only the panning, but there's a part in the game where you have to go a certain place and if it isn't slowed down, you'll never get there.

I'll have to take a look and find some links for other slowdown programs.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
Easily amused

I'm ready to go. Let me know when we can begin.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #18
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
So this is going to be AG Community Playthrough #9, I suppose. When do we start? Next Mud Day, Grues Day? Finding a good point to stop might be a problem later on, the game is fairly non-linear, as the old hands know.
I'd go as far as to say that it will be a problem except for the very beginning and the very end. At least I remembered the whole main part as very non-linear. Of course we can always set the breakpoints as "the moment you solve this-or-that puzzle or meet such-and-such creature" but people who take a long way to do that, making a lot of yet-unnecessary progress on the way, will then be able to spoil the game for others by discussing it.

Hm, I don't know how to approach this. Weren't all the previous playthroughs based on essentially linear games?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #19
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
I'd go as far as to say that it will be a problem except for the very beginning and the very end. At least I remembered the whole main part as very non-linear. Of course we can always set the breakpoints as "the moment you solve this-or-that puzzle or meet such-and-such creature" but people who take a long way to do that, making a lot of yet-unnecessary progress on the way, will then be able to spoil the game for others by discussing it.

Hm, I don't know how to approach this. Weren't all the previous playthroughs based on essentially linear games?
Perhaps someone very familiar with the game could guide the rest of us (I've played it once) in order to keep us all pretty much doing things in the same order.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #20
Dungeon Master

I don't know. Sounds stifling, especially for the first time players.

On an unrelated note, I'd like to remind/inform everyone that ZGI has the multiplayer option. I've never tried it, and from what I know it's supposed to be rather gimmicky (basically one person passively observes another playing), but definitely a feature to keep in mind when making a group playthrough.