You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Day of the Tentacle sequel ever planned?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2004, 02:22 AM   #1

Default day of the tentacle

was there ever any plans to do a day of the tentacle sequel/maniac mansion 3?
Old 03-14-2004, 02:27 AM   #2

Nope. Mike Stemmle joked about it when talking about the origins of Sam & Max 2: Freelance Police, but I think that's about it.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:55 AM   #3
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

we can guess there sure as well won't be one now.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 03-14-2004, 05:12 AM   #4
Consulting Detective

After the cancellation of Sam and Max 2 and Full Throttle 2, we probably wont see a new Maniac Mansion game, maybe not even a Monkey Island 5.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:30 AM   #5

Default Yeah what's it with Luca Arts

They know they have loyal adventure fans now they cancel all the freaking AG and make even more crap Star Wars games
Old 03-14-2004, 10:54 AM   #6
Multi-dimensional avatar

If they cancelled Sam and Max 2, you can be sure there will never be a Maniac Mansion 3 (unless they reconsider, and then S&M2 does very very well), or any other adventure game by LEC for that matter.

I wouldn't mind this influx of Star Wars games if it they weren't so cookie cutter, and designed explicitly for consoles. Whatever happened to the good old days of dedicated simulations like X-Wing and TIE Fighter? Sad tidings, indeed.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:52 PM   #7

I think he was talking about plans in the past.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:03 PM   #8
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

The secret question is, "Should anyone really want a sequel to a Schafer-written game (or Schafer/Grossman-written) that isn't written by Schafer?" The answer had better be "no." Yes, Gilbert and Winnick and those guys did Maniac Mansion, and DOTT is a sequel to that not written by the original guys, but DOTT is a pretty extreme re-imagining of the world, and you know that if anyone did a DOTT 2, it would just be rehash/plot continuation city, instead of a total visual and humor overhaul like the MM --> DOTT transition.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 03-14-2004, 07:50 PM   #9

i think maniac mansion 2 is so weird and so off where maniac mansion 1 was..that a maniac mansion 3 could do exactly the same thing and be totally diff. from the first 2..
Old 03-14-2004, 07:53 PM   #10

Yeah, it was more like a spin-off.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:11 PM   #11
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Is there anyone left at LEC besides mike stemmle who could do it? Actually, given all that crazy Hickee comic stuff that's been pointed out lately, yeah there probably is. Something similar to DOTT but possibly even far more crazy could probably easily be built by those guys. Would it ever get approved? ...

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 03-14-2004, 09:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
The secret question is, "Should anyone really want a sequel to a Schafer-written game (or Schafer/Grossman-written) that isn't written by Schafer?" The answer had better be "no." Yes, Gilbert and Winnick and those guys did Maniac Mansion, and DOTT is a sequel to that not written by the original guys, but DOTT is a pretty extreme re-imagining of the world, and you know that if anyone did a DOTT 2, it would just be rehash/plot continuation city, instead of a total visual and humor overhaul like the MM --> DOTT transition.
Actually, Ron Gilbert was still at LucasArts when DOTT started development, and he talked with Schafer and Grossman about ideas for it. So the game more or less was made with his consent, even if he and Winnick didn't write it themselves.

A Maniac Mansion 3 would be extremely risky then, as not a one of those four is there anymore.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:42 PM   #13
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Souza
After the cancellation of Sam and Max 2 and Full Throttle 2, we probably wont see a new Maniac Mansion game, maybe not even a Monkey Island 5.
Im quite sure we will see a Monkey Island 5, due to the fact that the voodoo lady has a five game deal with Lucas Arts.