You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A.G.O.T.Y 2K8 (pc)

View Poll Results: Adventure game of the year 2k8 for pc ?
Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon 1 1.27%
Immortals of Terra, The: A Perry Rhodan Adventure 11 13.92%
Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull 1 1.27%
Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy 1 1.27%
Other 15 18.99%
Overclocked: A History of Violence 8 10.13%
Penumbra: Black Plague 5 6.33%
Sam & Max Season 2 20 25.32%
So Blonde 5 6.33%
Vampyre Story 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #41

Played through Overclocked and Black Plague, voted Black Plague but I did like overclocked despite how dumb the story was.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:13 AM   #42

there were many good ones and i feel bad for not being able to vote for many of them:

1. Edna bricht aus (i guess only available in Germany) - best one i think, only adventure game i know of where every combination of items and world objects gives you different dialogue
2. Vampyre story - while the writing is not as strong as in other adventure games, the retro artstyle and atmosphere make up for it in a big way.
3. Sam & Max - extraordinary smart/witty writing

Other one's i've only played demo so far, which seem very good though:
So Blonde - just cute
Geheimakte Tunguska 2 (Secret Files 2 i think called outside of Europe) - looks like a strong and popular title
Old 12-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
The Lost Crown is by far the best adventure game of 2008 I have played so I had to go with "other".
hmm interesting, never heard of that game. going to look it up right now.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
hmm interesting, never heard of that game. going to look it up right now.
I´m playing it right now.

It´s EPIC !

... and awesome BTW
Old 12-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh View Post
I´m playing it right now.

It´s EPIC !

... and awesome BTW
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Crown-G...0326018&sr=8-1

are we talking about the above linked game? seems like its not available in Germany right now so I would have to import it. I'll blame you guys if its not as good as you claim it to be! heheh
Old 12-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #46

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Our review of the game matched perfectly what was my opinion on the game, if this can add another opinion before you order the game.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 12-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Our review of the game matched perfectly what was my opinion on the game, if this can add another opinion before you order the game.
yes thank you for the link. i was actually looking for a review on the site and couldn't find one. Although 3.5 doesn't strike me as extremely good, considering vampyre story got the same score and i'm enjoying it tremendously, adding to that the positive comments on this thread i just went ahead and ordered it. at 20 british pounds it won't break my bank no matter how i end up liking it

thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #48
Stalker of Britain

tastebud-I absolutely LOVE Lost Crown! If you've ever played Jonathan Boakes' other games, like the Dark Fall's, it's sort of like those, but so different too. The characters and stories are so amazing in this game, it's one of my all time favorites!!! I would highly reccommend it, and I'm glad you bought it!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
tastebud-I absolutely LOVE Lost Crown! If you've ever played Jonathan Boakes' other games, like the Dark Fall's, it's sort of like those, but so different too. The characters and stories are so amazing in this game, it's one of my all time favorites!!! I would highly reccommend it, and I'm glad you bought it!
i have not played any of his other games, except for the demos, which i liked, but never quite THAT much to move me to order it. It's been quite a while since i've played a scary/creepy adventure though so hopefully this fits the bill!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #50
Psychonaut

Adventure Games played 2008

Professor Layton and the Curious Villiage - Brilliant puzzle game wrapped round a cute Anime story.
Perry Rhodan - Loved it very much
Vampyre Story - Proving that you can make a decent game without dumbing it down to the level of 5 year olds. Loved it.
Sam and Max season 2 - Decent episodic games with great characters and NO challenge.
Culpa Innata - Very good game
Dreamfall - Replayed this year for fun
Scratches - It was awright.
Overclocked - It wasn't ok.
Strongbad - Telltales first big mistake. Annoying characters that you needed to be a fan of the original website to get anything out of this series.
Art of Murder - Very Very bland and ordinary.
Zork Nemesis - Played as part of a playthrough in AG.
Sherlock Holmes Awakened Remastered - Beta Tested then played through the game
So Blonde - It was ok, but the Blonde jokes wore thin easy and I din't much like the main character.
Barrow Hill - Finanlly got round to playing. It was low budget okness.
Broken Sword 2.5 - I really enjoyed this.
Nikopol - Great graphics and story let down by barking mad puzzles.

----Still playing

Lost Crown - So far so good apart from the crap animation of the main character causing me to LOL all the time.
Murder at the Abbey - Not that far into it.
Sanitarium - Won it in a comp. So replaying.

Top 5 adventure games of the year

1. Professor Layton and the Curious Villiage
2. Perry Rhodan
2. Vampyre Story
4. Culpa Innata
5. Sam and Max 2
Old 01-01-2009, 05:12 AM   #51

Am I missing something? Why is the list limited? It must be possible to vote for all 2008 games, there weren't that many published after all (30/40 perhaps?). I must say too that voting on a list of games that got "four or more stars" isn't very inviting. Moreover, it would be nice to see what the gamers themselves think of the games, as opposed to "reviewers." And what if the "other" category wins? We have a winner: "OTHER." Just an opinion (I can guess what the answers will be).
Old 01-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #52
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
Am I missing something? Why is the list limited? It must be possible to vote for all 2008 games, there weren't that many published after all (30/40 perhaps?). I must say too that voting on a list of games that got "four or more stars" isn't very inviting. Moreover, it would be nice to see what the gamers themselves think of the games, as opposed to "reviewers." And what if the "other" category wins? We have a winner: "OTHER." Just an opinion (I can guess what the answers will be).
Because this is just a forum thread started by one member for fun. It is nothing official and the results won't be published anywhere on the main page.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #53
Under pressure.

My personal top 5:

5) Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People
4) So Blonde
3) Perry Rhodan
2) Sam and Max Season 2
1) A Vampyre Story
Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #54
Easily amused

I've only played one 2008 game and I'm still in the midst of it. However, I think it is an exceptional game so far, so it gets my vote -
The Lost Crown.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #55

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

My personal Top 4 (can I like this kind of things more? ), 'cause I really can't think of a fifth game to insert: I play old titles most of the time, true, but this year seems to me particularly scarce.

4. Casebook - Episode 1
3. Apollo Justice
2. So Blonde
1. Dracula: The Path of the Dragon
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #56
Roman5

Perry Rhodan comes to mind for me too. What a great game. I really enjoyed Sherlock Holmes v Arsene lupin which I played earlier this year and thought that might be on the list, but perhaps that's a 2007 game?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #57

I guess I will choose no. 1 from Overclocked and The Lost Crown when I finish them both.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #58

The game this year that was a huge hit across the board was:

"Professor Layton and the Curious Villiage"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profess...urious_Village

It is the winner - most popular and best reviews - If this is an adventure game like many sites say it is. Others say it is a puzzle game.

For me - I give it to "Prof Layton" because most sites loved it and it was a very different way to do an adventure/puzzle game.

Last edited by Mikekelly; 01-06-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: more text
Old 01-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #59

I didn't play too many this year, but Professor Layton was definitely the best. Even though I didn't play So Blonde, Sam & Max 2, or A Vampyre Story, given that Professor Layton is one of my favorites EVER then I think it's safe to name it my favorite of 08.

EDIT: Oh, okay, this thread is for PC games. Whoops! Never mind? I don't have a favorite PC adventure game of 08. That seems harsh but none of the ones I got around to playing would I be willing to term a favorite, even if they themselves are their only competition.

Last edited by dantebk; 01-07-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #60

Because Apolo Justice and Prof Layton dont count, my vote goes to Sam and Max... Only PC adventure I played from that list... I really need to catch on my adventures games...