You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 03:11 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default Phantasmagoria II

Today, I finally managed to run the old game under DOS-Box: like a puzzle itself.

The I started the game, and I can't help but say that I like it: the video quality is far better than the Phantasmagoria I, and so is the acting (except for the main character, who sound as dull as Adriane). The gameplay is just as easy as the first chapter, but I didn't expect more - so, to sum up: I'm quite pleased!

What do you guys think of the game?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 07-26-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
Headbanger

I haven't played it since it was new (almost). Back then it was the coolest thing I had ever seen, I still remember the trailer (I was 14 at the time ). I tried to run it in Dos-Box a few years ago but gave up.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #3

I never managed to get it to work. I got the collection Phantasmagoria: Stagefright, which has both games, and for some reason I could get the first game to work, but never the second. I still have it, and would like to play it at some point, but I just haven't been able to motivate myself to track down what I need to do to get the thing to run in Dos-box.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #4

Maybe I can help. I did this:

First of all, I installed the dos version of the game.

Then, I had to create an image of each CD and mount them via daemon tools (for reason unknown to humankind, after I installed the DOS version DOS Box couldn't detect the original ones in the case)

Then, I've to edit the Dos Box config file so the program will read the virtual drive F: and not the real one E:

Then, I downloaded this patch, mount C: as C: \directory of the game and then launched the p2dos.bat file.

The game runs just fine.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #5

I liked the characters and the sex scenes. Was a fun game. Overall the first one scared me a lot more though.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #6

I just used an old windows95 laptop I had collecting dust to play it.

I really loved the game. I bought it off ebay. As a game is it certainly weak, but it was really an enjoyable B Movie. You get more involved to due the interactivity. I did feel the story got too absurd towards the end. But the beginning of the game, with all the emails, was really creepy.

And points for going against some of the character stereotypes!

I recommend.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
Stalker of Britain

Hmm...could you wonderful people please tell me if the first Phantasmagoria is good? It's a lot of money on Amazon, so I want to see if it's worth it. Thanks.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #8

The cutscenes on the original Phantasmagoria are shocking in a compelling and entertaining way even today. As a story, it's really well written and the cutscenes are well executed. However, the actual gameplay is incredibly tedious and linear. From what I remember, the locations were pretty bland and static througout, with not that much in a way of colour (everything seemed washed out), and the puzzles themselves were more chores.

I give the game credit as one of the first games to really show you could tell an interactive story to the same quality standards of a relatively decent film, and how it explored dark subjects such as murder in such a believable and shocking way, but I wouldn't recommend unless you are the kind that can endure pretty easy and tedious puzzles. You'd be better off just watching the gameplay on youtube.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #9

The first Phantasmagoria is an historical milestone in our genre. Have you ever played the others Roberta Williams' games? If so, forget about them: her cheerful writing, her light-hearted tone and her humorous wit have no place in this game. Instead, you'll find a gruesome plot that deals with a lot of delicate themes - sexuality, domestic violence, rape, murder - while telling a story of dark magic, family secrets and damnation.

It really sounds good, but the game has some problems: first of all, the story weaken 'round the middle of the game and became forced, trite and a bit corny. Then, the gameplay: there aren't puzzle, in this game - you'll simply watch a FMV, then click another hot spot and then watch another FMV. Also, the character, Adriane Delaney, is quite often dull and uninteresting.

So, the game was worth a try if you are a Sierra-fiend (like me ) or if you like interactive movies, and are seeking completion: otherwise, if you haven't, I suggest you to play Gabriel Knight II: The Beast Within to see a FMV game that's really a masterpiece.

As for Phantasmagoria II, surely it isn't scaring as the first one, but it's fun, even when it's tacky. And I agree with Yorolepal: they did a very good job with the characters, avoiding clichés and stereotypes.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #10
Stalker of Britain

I like dark themed games, like M games. But I've heard so many mixed reviews on this!!!! *frustrated sigh*
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #11

A FYI, a new Phantasmagoria 2 installer has been developed by jafa. It will allow Phantasmagoria 2 to run natively in XP/Vista. It includes a number of improvements such as removing the black scan lines in the cutscenes. The Windows version also has higher color depth with the cutscenes. http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/ph...a_2/index.html
Old 07-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
Grue Master

I only can tell you that both Phantasmagorias are in my Top Ten Adventure Game list if that helps.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
aye, aye!

I played Phantasmagoria I&II right after eachother for the first time a few weeks ago, and I have to confess I like the second game much more.
The only thing that made Curtis corny was the way he tried to fake-cry by putting his hands over his face... I wish he would have just looked shocked whenever he saw the e-mails and all that.

I also wish he would've talked to himself like in some noir movie than to a psychologist, since I really wanted to know what he was feeling but he kept repeating "This is going to sound insane, but..." or "This is a bit embaressing but..." before saying what was on his mind.

The scene that struck me the most was when he talked to the shrink about a postcard---
Spoiler:
the one with the bondage photograph on it. He said something along the lines of "they're together, this person cannot fall apart" which means that he has always felt different, like he was missing a piece of himself... And he knew why in the end. That whole thing made me go "....awww. "

I really adore Phantasmagoria II. I thought it had all the elements of being a baaaaaaaad b horror movie, and it still succeeded with having a good story!

Though as the girl I am, I still don't understand the ending.
My question:
Spoiler:
He obviously felt guilty for taking the real Curtis' place in the real world... So why did he kill him? Why didn't they both try to blend into one being since a little bit of real-Curtis' brain was in alien-Curtis? Why did one of them have to die? D:

I also think the puzzles, as people have said, were quite easy. Except the ones in the ending. I didn't get them at ALL.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
A FYI, a new Phantasmagoria 2 installer has been developed by jafa. It will allow Phantasmagoria 2 to run natively in XP/Vista. It includes a number of improvements such as removing the black scan lines in the cutscenes. The Windows version also has higher color depth with the cutscenes. http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/ph...a_2/index.html
Wow, great, thanks for the tip.
I played through the first CD a while back but I couldn't get past the cd-swapping (don't remember really what was the problem...), this looks like a great way to get back into it. Thanks again.

Last edited by MoP; 07-26-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #15

Liked the first part, but when story progressed didnt liked it so much.
Got to the final puzzle but never bothered to finish it.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #16
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Wow, if that works then I'll be playing through this gem once more. Many thanks for the link.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:24 AM   #17

MoP made me think... I haven't reached yet the disk-swapping part - If it fails again this time, I'll try the patch

Old 07-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #18

I don't understand the bad reviews for it. I thought it was great, and much better than the first. I've never played any adventure like it before or since. It's a real shame everyone ditched the live acting craze before it ever really took off. It's still a really viable frontier for interactive games, it's weird that nobody does it. I remember for a long time assuming that the games of the future would be basically real people. We're trapped in this polygon era.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:13 AM   #19

I understand the bashing 'cause some people really can't stand the simplification both of the interface and the game play. It's true that some FMV are extremely easy, to the point of being un-challenging and boring, so they sort of have a point.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #20

I had to play this again last night and just finished it again. I really enjoy the game for some reason. No, it's not hard. It's just very stream-lined and...enthralling. It's like a good quick book you can't put down until the end. The acting and writing is actually quite good for the most part (for adventure games that is)