You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure All info on Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by potan View Post
daaang... too bad i can only afford to buy a DS
Yeah, gaming is an expensive endeavour . Didn't help that I bought Moon on blu-ray at the same time...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 02-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #322

I must say this game has lived up to all my expectations, sure there are a couple of rough spots here and there, but nothing so egregious as to kill the game though, slightly spoilerish about location from first part of game:

Spoiler:
In the police station as Ethan, there were a lot of cops walking through people, the camera, and even yourself.

It makes me wonder if that part wasn't added in at the last minute when they decided to delay launch.

Anyway, the game's plot is outstanding and leaves me wanting to play through it again just to do things different. The revelation of the killer was astounding.

The entire game, from beginning to end, felt necessary, something rare in this day and age. Nothing felt like busywork and it didn't leave you lingering for too long or wondering aimlessly, as often happens in adventures.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:35 AM   #323

Just played the first couple of scenes...this game delivers in spades.

It looks and plays amazingly. Oddly though, some character models look wrong in the face, while most look extremely good. Ethan and the kids look great, but Ethan's wife looks strange -- with a weird, dark mouth and teeth. Voice acting's been solid so far. Nothing award-winning, but convincing enough. I'm just nit-picking, though. Overall the first few scenes blew my mind. I love it.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:10 AM   #324

One of the most emotional experiences I've had playing a game! This is a classic.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #325

Default Shocking last night

Scott Shelby's early store level
Spoiler:
I played Shelby's store level last time, and my god... Of course I did watch a few early vids of this level on Youtube, and I was expecting it to be more or less the same when I played through the level. But BANG, the robber shot the guy in the head. My mouth was wide opened, I was hell of shocked. It was totally unexpected. I felt so bad not be able to save him, and in the end, no origami for me...

Last edited by Luther10; 02-26-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #326
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I hated and openly mocked Indigo Prophecy so I was really, really skeptical about this game but I'll admit I was wrong, it really is fantastic. It has its share of problems: ridiculous overuse of mundane interactions (setting plates on a table does not build character David Cage), some awful writing (that butler that Norman talks to is one of the most awkward, exposition-heavy scenes ever) and a pacing that's all over the place. But man, when the plot is moving at full steam and you're thrown from one intense situation to the next, there are some of the most thrilling moments I've ever had playing a video game. It's an understatement to say that the new QTE system they have developed works, it truly makes you feel like you're the one in control during these tense set pieces. And there's a lot of them, whenever this game is acting like a full-blown thriller with car chases, fights with masked intruders and tense gun showdowns, it's one of the most visceral experiences you can have.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 02-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #327

Anyone finished this yet? I'm interested, in fact I dare say based on my gaming tastes that HR, Alan Wake, and Grey Matter are my most anticipated games of the year, but I'm a bit worried that it might do as Indigo/Fahrenheit did and fall completely apart at the end...anyone able to assuage my worries?
Old 02-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #328
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
Anyone finished this yet? I'm interested, in fact I dare say based on my gaming tastes that HR, Alan Wake, and Grey Matter are my most anticipated games of the year, but I'm a bit worried that it might do as Indigo/Fahrenheit did and fall completely apart at the end...anyone able to assuage my worries?
I thought the ending to Indigo Prophecy was unbelievably awful and I can assure you that no old ladies turn into electricity monsters and no one starts running alongside walls in Heavy Rain.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 02-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
I thought the ending to Indigo Prophecy was unbelievably awful and I can assure you that no old ladies turn into electricity monsters and no one starts running alongside walls in Heavy Rain.
Haha! Ah that's funny, Indigo (Farenheit for me) was soooo bad. So so bad. But I did finish my first run of Heavy Rain last night and no it doesn't disapoint. I think Cage very much learnt his lesson in writing and found out how to ground the story a little better within his system.

I'm not usually one for replays of games that offer slight alternatives here or there, of which you play the WHOLE game again just to play 5 minutes differently and see the 3 different endings etc etc. But I can't wait to start this one again and try all the different scenarios in different ways, test out the outcomes. I think I got the typically good ending so I'd like to make a turn for the worst this time around .

Old 02-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #330

There are a couple of plot issues still eating at me, but I might be remembering some things wrong so I'll recheck those before asking about those here, but one thing I can't believe they didn't address was:

Spoiler:
Ethan's blackouts, and then coming out of those with origami figures in hand and visions of drowned victims. Maybe it will be answered in a DLC episode, I hate that though, it should have been addressed in game.

Another thing I don't get, if Cage never planned on a sequel, why do certain ending movies have obvious sequel set-ups? I guess these set-ups could be for DLC episodes, but one of them specifically seems a little too big of a setup for an episode.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #331

I read in an interview, that, everything included, there're more than 2000 big and small variations to the scenes in the game. So unless the vast majority of those variations are superficial, there should be plenty of replay value to Heavy Rain

EDIT: Burn11 sneaked in a post; my post was a comment to Sughly.

Last edited by Jannik; 02-26-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
What!?!? Now my life is ruined......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Haha! Ah that's funny, Indigo (Farenheit for me) was soooo bad. So so bad. But I did finish my first run of Heavy Rain last night and no it doesn't disapoint. I think Cage very much learnt his lesson in writing and found out how to ground the story a little better within his system.

I'm not usually one for replays of games that offer slight alternatives here or there, of which you play the WHOLE game again just to play 5 minutes differently and see the 3 different endings etc etc. But I can't wait to start this one again and try all the different scenarios in different ways, test out the outcomes. I think I got the typically good ending so I'd like to make a turn for the worst this time around .
Good to hear!
Old 02-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannik View Post
I read in an interview, that, everything included, there're more than 2000 big and small variations to the scenes in the game. So unless the vast majority of those variations are superficial, there should be plenty of replay value to Heavy Rain

I still feel bad about some of the decisions I made.. It's a split second decision kind of thing.. I can't wait to replay the game and make differnet choices.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11 View Post
There are a couple of plot issues still eating at me, but I might be remembering some things wrong so I'll recheck those before asking about those here, but one thing I can't believe they didn't address was:

Spoiler:
Ethan's blackouts, and then coming out of those with origami figures in hand and visions of drowned victims. Maybe it will be answered in a DLC episode, I hate that though, it should have been addressed in game.

Another thing I don't get, if Cage never planned on a sequel, why do certain ending movies have obvious sequel set-ups? I guess these set-ups could be for DLC episodes, but one of them specifically seems a little too big of a setup for an episode.
I completely agree on both counts. Massive, massive plot hole that you outlined in the spoiler. It's seems very convenient to avoid answering it . That aspect of the story is kind of cheap - just a red-herring (I believe is what it's called in books and such).

And I know the sequel-suggesting comment you mean. I'm not sure I liked it, especially if they don't plan on doing anything with it. Whenever stories have these and fail to follow up on them it just seems like the writer couldn't let his story go as a finished package. It was a big cliched too, which doesn't help it's cause.

Hmmm that was quite a negative post after my previously positive one. Nit-picking people - still a very great game . I think you would be pleased with it Lupin.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #335

Yeah, any complaints I have are nits being picked, it's still instantly one of my favorite adventures, maybe only bested by Grim Fandango and Gabriel Knight 3 (but I haven't had enough time with the game and then enough time removed from the game to cement such an opinion).

But anyway, I looked it up to make sure and (major spoilers about end):

Spoiler:
The dates and age of Shelby don't add up. They say in the news report, bios, etc that he was 48, but based on the flashback and grave at the end he was 44. Not a huge deal, but it's still one of those small things that does bother me.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #336

I'm going through a second full playthrough and noticed something (mild spoilers from beginning of game)

Spoiler:
When Ethan awoke from his blackouts he was in the exact same spot both times we saw. Odd. There's definitely something behind these blackouts and we can only hope that they do get around to explaining them.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #337

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Do all 4 characters of the game follow the same plot or different ? (no spoilers)
If all follow different plots and locations then I would say its a 4 in 1 sort of game(?)
Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #338

It's the same plot, just from different perspectives/angles. You play through them all in one shot, and it switches pretty regularly between them. They all pretty much follow their own path, with their own locations and such, but in the end they are unraveling the same thread.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #339

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11 View Post
It's the same plot, just from different perspectives/angles. You play through them all in one shot, and it switches pretty regularly between them. They all pretty much follow their own path, with their own locations and such, but in the end they are unraveling the same thread.
Ok now I get it. Its like some of the adventure games where you get switched between multiple characters i.e. Runaway 3, Secret Files etc ... I thought the game gave you choice which character you want to choose in the start and play through the whole game with him/her.

The game just arrived in my country. Can't wait to play it.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannik View Post

It turns out I remembered the bit from the interview about scene variations incorrectly. Guillaume de Fondaumiere of Quantic Dream only talked about the action sequences. I guess that means, that there're even more possible variations to the game when non-action sequences are included, but I haven't played the game.

Furthermore, I should mention that the number 2000, was just my way of describing what Fondaumiere referred to as "there are so many, in the thousands" - it could be that it's way more than 2000. Don't know what happened there; I think I just focused on that it was more than 1000, and somehow got blind to the actual facts

The full interview:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...teractive_.php