You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Quandary is closing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 03:41 AM   #1
Game Creator Hobbyist

Default Quandary is closing

It's only been announced on their forum and not yet on the home page, but Quandary is about to close down, leaving one less site with good reviews. (The reviews and editorials are archived at http://metzomagic.com/ )
Old 06-20-2008, 04:42 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Yes, its a sad but true old news
Old 06-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #3

What?
Oh please not!
Actually, I think that would only leave AdventureGamers in the english speaking territory with good and broad coverage of adventure games.
I don't like the reviews of FFC and JA. They're barely informative and rarely critical enough. So.....sad news indeed.

Edit: Well, at least there's a mirror for their old stuff. Might help when I'm looking again for the odd old game.

Last edited by ozzie; 06-21-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Aw damn. Adventure Gamers have always been the best with everything except reviews. I loved Quandarys reviews. :/ Damn.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #5

There's still GameBoomers:

http://gameboomers.com/
Old 06-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Actually, I think that would only leave AdventureGamers in the english speaking territory with good and broad coverage of adventure games.
You realise that you're insulting a damn lot of websites (maybe some you even don't know about) with such a broad, generalising statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Edit: Well, at least there's a mirror for their old stuff. Might help when I'm looking again for the odd old game.
If I understand correctly they'll be adding new reviews from time to time and have some sections active. Read here.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #7

Yeah, sure there are some websites with a smaller set of adventure reviews. But I don't know of any good ones that have such a broad scope of reviewed adventures.
From old to new, from obscure to popular.

Maybe you can tell me one?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

I know of the one I write for . Of course, in my position it would be silly to praise it. I also never think of writers for a specific website as a collective representing a single standart, style, and sharing the same opinions. I always hope to be surprised by the work of fresh, new authors.

Overall, I don't think the internet is lacking in interesting coverage on adventure games. Add a few smaller sites together and you get comprehensiveness .

Last edited by Ascovel; 06-21-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
Freeware Co-ordinator

Speaking as someone who writes the ocassional review here I'd hate to think we were the ONLY resource for good adventure game reviews. Even when reviews are written with a clear quality standard and editorial integrity it still means you're only getting one person's opinion of a game. Unless your opinions consistently correspond with those of a reviewer (either positively or negatively) then that's not enough information for a fully informed game-buying decision.

Ascovel, acknowledging your bias in the matter I'd still be interested in knowing what the site you write for is. It seems with the loss of Quandary that we nned to pick up alternatives to take it's place.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #10
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Ascovel, acknowledging your bias in the matter I'd still be interested in knowing what the site you write for is. It seems with the loss of Quandary that we need to pick up alternatives to take it's place.
I think there isn't any need of anybody taking anyone's place. I hope we can all coexist peacefully and earn places of our own in the internet continuum.

I write for Adventure Classic Gaming, previously called Adventure Collective, a site I'm sure most people here already know. We cover classic adventure games, new adventure games and interactive fiction. We post reviews, previews, interviews and feature articles. Currently we publish 1-3 new articles a week.

Every writer welcomes with open hands any new reader and additional feedback, so I'd be of course glad if I sparked some interest in someone previously unfamiliar with ACG but looking for more sites devoted to adventure gaming.

Last edited by Ascovel; 06-25-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

German, French and Spanish sites are the best sources of information about adventure games.

But AdventureGamers.com has the best community so far!!