You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I call Resident Evil Action-Adventure. & I think if I have to go in that line than Silent Hill more scary than RE.
As much as I love the Silent Hill games, have you really played the Gamecube remake of Resident Evil? It definitely is THE scariest game I've ever played, scarier than all the Silent Hills, Fatal Frames/Project Zeros and the rest of the RE:s, including other versions of the first one. I agree that it's an action adventure though and it's actually harder action wise because of some new "features" compared to the original, such as zombies coming back to "life" if you don't kill them by a shot in the head or otherwise set them on fire (and you need petrol for that). And if you let them come back to life they are like ten times harder to deal with than before. Overall not too difficult though if you set the difficulty to easy.

Agree with you about Black Mirror not being scary. Can't understand why people insist on refering to it as horror adventure just because that's what it says on the box. It's a thriller and it has great and dark atmosphere but it's IMO nothing even close to horror. Good game though.

Dark Fall (the first one) is my favourite horror adventure from this decade. Also worth mentioning is the rerelease of Inherent Evil, a game originally released in 1999 and that I think very few people have played. It has a few weak spots in its design but overall it's quite scary.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:12 AM   #22

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Just got myself Darkness Within. Haven't started to play it properly but does seem good. Btw; how would those who have played it rate it against Scratches?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #23

I thought Black Mirror was horror, although it didn't scare the crap out of me, but horror games hardly ever do. I don't get scared easily.

And while RE was a good game, it is not what would be considered an adventure game.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Just got myself Darkness Within. Haven't started to play it properly but does seem good. Btw; how would those who have played it rate it against Scratches?
Scratches is, without a doubt, one of my all time favorite adventure games. It may seem really slow at first but stick with it, use a guide if you have to (I did).
Old 09-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzner View Post
Scratches is, without a doubt, one of my all time favorite adventure games. It may seem really slow at first but stick with it, use a guide if you have to (I did).
I have played & ended Scratches long time ago

One of the few 1st person adventure games I like.

Just finished Darkness Within. The game is "fine" It has neat graphics & environment. Some good scares. But the story line seemed too loose.
Spoiler:
The games title mentions the name Loath Nolder but the guy has very little to do in the story line, in fact he is not to be seen anywhere in the game. In addition, the other people who's names we come to know in the game are all lost somewhere & not to be seen. Finally we come across the 'bad guy' & we don't really know who he is, Was he the Loath Nolder? Did I miss something in the story line?

Again a game leaving us with more questions then answers, like the Lost Crown.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #26

Since I finished Darkness Within, any other advices on which Horror games is good to play? The ones with good scares
Old 09-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Phantasmagoria 2. I've recently (yesterday) re-installed and replayed some of it and I'd forgotten how awesomely subtle and scarey it was.

Well worth taking the time to play.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
Anyway, Penumbra features a small inventory, and lots of physics based problems a la Half Life 2. Instead of "pixel hunts" you scrounged around a 3D environment, open lots of doors and cabinets with the mouse, and move stuff around. I think this style of play may be the future of adventure games myself.
Sounds to me like what Myst was doing back in the mid-90s. No inventory, but a lot of doors, cabinets, and mechanical objects to manipulate and figure out. A lot of "physics" involved in figuring out how certain things are interrelated.