You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Diamonds in The Rough

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #1

Default Diamonds in The Rough

Just starting playing this game today and i just can't stop... Very interesting story and very interesting gameplay... Sure the graphics aren't so good but in my point of view a game don't need super graphics to be nice... I didn't expect to find my self stuck in front of my PC for almost 5 hours... and still counting...
Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
tsa
Playing character

Cool, I will have to order that game one day.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:29 AM   #3

I ordered this game as soon as I saw it was available. I have to say it was a huge step insofar as indie adventure games is concerned. I have enjoyed games like Shady Brook and Al Emmo very much. They had the length and were enjoyable, but lacked slightly in things like voice acting just a bit. On the Other Dave Gilbert's games : The Shivah, The Blackwell Legacy, and Blackwell Unbound all had superb voice acting but were a bit too short.

DITR had everything -- the story, the voice acting, the length, etc............ it is definitely a bar that can be used to judge future indies.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Maker of Other Worlds

Send a message via MSN to alkis21

Thank you for your kind words.

As some people mentioned that they wished to read some reviews before deciding on buying the game, I'd like you to know that this page has the links of the four reviews that have been posted so far (to my knowledge).

An AG reviewer has also received the game so I'm eagerly waiting to read his/her opinion as well in the future.

Last edited by alkis21; 04-07-2008 at 06:33 AM. Reason: One more review was announced (changed 3 to 4)
Old 04-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #5

Any plans for a print version?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #6

I have played quite a few of these type of adventures now, Shady Brook, The arrangement, Lifestream, the Carol reed games and more... I would never have heard of any of them if it wasn't for sites like this one and other adventure game sites. I have enjoyed them all very much....some more than the big commercial games so this one is next on my list to buy!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Maker of Other Worlds

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a print version? I don't know the term.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #8

I mean a physical copy that that would be sold in stores rather than a download
Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Hopeful skeptic

The version available is a physical copy, not a download, though it's not sold in stores.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 AM   #10
Maker of Other Worlds

What Jackal said.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:42 AM   #11

If you don't mind me asking, how many copies have you sold? I'm developing the game myself so this be a nice piece of information. If you don't want to say in public you can send me a PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #12
Maker of Other Worlds

It's too early for any kind of conclusions. Feel free to ask me again in a few months.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
It's too early for any kind of conclusions. Feel free to ask me again in a few months.
ok, thanks.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:47 AM   #14

Just completed DITR recently. I can't wait to see the next thing that Atropos has in store for the adventure gaming public.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #15
King Silly

I just finished the demo...and wow, I must say I am impressed. In my opinion ( basing on Demo) this game looks VERY promising...I don't mean this by indie game standards only, but this looks very interesting story even by commercial standards, and even from serious commercial games I've played recently, I can only say that Culpa Innata has got me hooked so early, just like DITR did. Very well written.

Voice acting seems very good and professional, same with the music.

My only gripe is...the game ( again, just demo) seems so professional and well polished in every area, that's why I find walking animation unacceptable, because minor flaw like this amongst the brilliance the game otherwise seems to be just seems bit ridiculous and out of place. Either way, walking animation doesn't make the game, but story, characters, music etc does...just had to throw critic there which in my opinion kinda stands out.

The thought box is great, it's been getting boring to just mess with your inventory. Thought idea gives a whole new dimension to AG, I might try to use that kind of system in one of my future games ( once I finally finish my 2nd and 'serious attempt' )

Very well done. I can't wait to play this, the demo got me interested in story which is job very well done there as well.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:59 AM   #16

Mikael,

Thank you for your interest.

The animation and character art is mostly a budget issue, as far as I know, and hopefully next game should have these corrected! Animation has been slightly improved in the full game rather the demo, but still I won't lie it still stands out.

Hopefully all the rest elements of the game should be enough to keep your interested. For the record, I composed all music for the game so I can't be 100% unbiased. But still the story is very interesting, gameplay and puzzles range to various difficulties (and there already is the 'official' walkthrouh in JA+) and the atmosphere, is very well thought out I think. I should also add that voice acting is quite excellent in 90% of the game! And the English (since alkis (and me) are Greeks) is superb (something which I've been amazed in all honesty!)

Again, I've worked for the game so I can't be unbiased, but it does seem that the 4 reviews, thus far seem to agree on most parts.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #17
ssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
(since alkis (and me) are Greeks)
And here me thinking Alkis was swedish (alkis = short for alkoholist = alcoholic)

Shore it's got a much better meaning in greek.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #18

DITR is one of those games that you will keep thinking of for a long time. I didn't expect to be such good. I recommend it to all especially the classic adventure fans :-)
I know wait for your next work Nikolas and Alkis... Please don't make us wait long...
Old 04-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssa View Post
And here me thinking Alkis was swedish (alkis = short for alkoholist = alcoholic)
Not even sure that Alkis drinks! LOL!

I like my pint of beer occasionally, but that's all!

Volcana: A big big thanks for your support and love.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #20

@alkis and nicolas
big thanks for a great game i was also impressed with the english, because i'm greek too,lol.
the story was gripping, it made me forget the graphics;
i had to finish it once i started, even though i couldn't hear the music
nicolas you may be able to help me there, i saw your answer to a post about the demo not starting, this happened to my game, so i followed your instructions and deleted the atropos.avi file and the game started ok but , i heard speech and sound effects but no music at all
if anyone can help, i want to replay it with the soundtrack working, i must have lost a lot of the atmosphere
even so , it had me glued to my screen for hours,lol.
thanks again
anna