You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #101

I think that the answer greatly depends on the country we are refering.I mean i live in Greece and only a small percentage of peaple play ANY game at all...let alone adventure games..
No i dont agree on the introverted part.I am very outgoing BUT i am indeed very introverted as far as EXPRESSING my feelings about gaming is considered.I mean NOONE here talks about them...So i keep to my self in my gaming part That also means that when i spend long hours at home playing a game my friends DONT understand why i do that...so i guess they think i am introverted But let me assure you...If i had friends that i could talk to about adventure gaming or gaming in general i would love discussing about it all the time...I also like rpgs ,strategies,action adventures and sometimes some action-platform games.
Oh by the way i am 24!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #102

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

38 yo
Here in Brazil adventure games are very popular among people of all age groups, even if they don't know that the genre name is "adventure".
Old 04-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #103

Started on the NES system Legend of Zelda 1988 think I was about 21ish, [maybe not an adventure game] then I use to hire the 3DO system [fantastic gaming system] 1993 think was about 21,I discovered Myst and was hooked from then on, I am now 37 and still loving it.Myst was the only game I have never used a cheat on,there where none I could get my hands on, that makes Myst my most satisfying game every played.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:15 AM   #104

17, can't remember exactly when I started playing point and click adventure games, but it was a few years ago, I was probably under 13 and the game was the first Broken Sword, soon got on to Monkey Island and later Grim Fandango.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat View Post
I am the only girl I know who play computer games, except for my sister and whenever I have a conversation with a guy, and the subject (SOMEhow) turns to gaming, they say I'm the only girl they've met, who plays. Very strange. Or maybe I'M the strange one!
My ex played Fifa, CS and NOLF and another ex played Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Also I know a few girls that play NfS or Tomb Raider. So you´re not that strange .

Anyway, I´m 23. First AG I played was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis in about 1997, then there was Larry 1 and PQ 1.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #106

45 here, got hooked on adventures many many many years ago
Old 04-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #107
Master of time and space

Played my first adventure game (Zak McKracken) on the Amiga 500 when I was 13.
It's still my favourite hobby.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #108
Adventure Gamer for Life

I'm 28. My first adventure game was King's Quest 2, played when I was really young, with my whole family on our first PC.

I don't know anyone except some of my longtime friends who play adventure games. In the early 90's we would all get together and play.

Ah the good old days...
Old 05-03-2008, 02:02 AM   #109

Hi,
Im 16 and Im from India. Nobody even plays computer games much here , so Im pretty sure theres practically no one interested in adventure games in India.I started playing adventure games 2 years back , and since then ive been hooked onto these games.The first game I played was Grim Fandango.Im new here , and its nice to be a part of the AG community.
Looking forward to make friends with all of you here.
Crazzyyy Indian.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #110

I'm 29 (today actually) and have been playing computer games since I was 7-8 years old. I've played most of the genres there are out there (Car/Racing, Shoot'em Up, Strategy, Sports, Platform etc etc), but it was the release of LSL1 that really got me into adventure games. The concept of being able to TYPE what a character should do was, at the time, simply amazing. "open door"... AAAAH! HE DID IT!!! Then the puzzles emerged... what to do, what to pick up, where to use it, and of course... how to spell everything.

From there on it only escalated as the games became more and more advanced in the terms of graphic and humor. I still enjoyed the genre, and to this day, those type of games are my no 1 favorite games. I will always hold dear the era of 1990-1997 where the old AG's from Sierra On-Line and Lucas Arts ruled the market.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #111
MaStER of DaRkNeSs

21. Been playing videogames since I was about 4 years old, with the original Sonic on the Master System! lol.

The comment from Greece was interesting, I often wonder about different countties attidues to gaming. The attitudes in the UK where I live are alright, though the mainstream media are COMPLETELY out of touch with anything to do with computers or technology. Basically every game is evil and destroying our childrens minds bla bla bla. I would love to show these people a real good adventure game been played and show them what fools they do sound like!
Old 05-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #112

I'm 20. I got hooked on adventure games at a young age, I want to say I was 9 or younger. I started with King's Quest V and Journeyman Project Turbo, unless you want to include any of the C64 games I played when I was 2. Anyway, I've always loved the genre, and I've never been too great. I honestly can't think of any games I've finished without using a walkthrough for some parts, though it's still an enjoyable experience even with a hint now and then. Or in Gabriel Knight, for everything because I can't tell what anything on the screen is supposed to be.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #113
Second Degree Black Belt

I'm 31 and I've only been playing adventure games for about 3 years. My first game was a Law and Order game, and I've been hooked on games ever since.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 05-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #114
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Played my first adventure game (Zak McKracken) on the Amiga 500 when I was 13.
It's still my favourite hobby.
Not to doubt the veracity of an age statement, but the last Amiga 500 was shipped in 1992. That would mean, other considerations aside, that you are bordering on, gasp, 29.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:14 AM   #115

Im 14 :]

But i lovee adventure games.

Tell by my name hehe

>Dj-Lil-Ste_
Old 05-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #116

I’m only 83¼ and if that guy (probably a kid) doesn’t believe me also, I’ll scan my birth certificate and 1 or 2 other credentials for his approval.
He can have a photo of my great-granddaughter as well if he likes !!

I programmed my first mini-game in machine code & assembler & published it in a USA (Chelmsford MA) magazine called “Micro” in 1981 … I’ll send the abovementioned disbeliever a copy of that as well if he insists !??!

At present I’m beta-testing 2 Quest/Adventures, and I posted my latest walkthrough just over a month ago.

Cheers to oldies & youngies alike. ………… Len Green.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #117
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Green View Post
I’m only 83¼ and if that guy (probably a kid) doesn’t believe me also, I’ll scan my birth certificate and 1 or 2 other credentials for his approval.
He can have a photo of my great-granddaughter as well if he likes !!

I programmed my first mini-game in machine code & assembler & published it in a USA (Chelmsford MA) magazine called “Micro” in 1981 … I’ll send the abovementioned disbeliever a copy of that as well if he insists !??!

At present I’m beta-testing 2 Quest/Adventures, and I posted my latest walkthrough just over a month ago.

Cheers to oldies & youngies alike. ………… Len Green.
If that statement is meant for me, no need. I've already admitted to being 60 earlier in the thread.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #118

I'm 20.
Introverted, probably, not the most outgoing person.

Some of my friends are interested in adventure game, for the story and world, but hate the all too usual "read the designer's minds" puzzles. Floyd (aka Feeble Files) basically put them off the genre.
I showed one of them a Sam & Max episodes (Abe Lincoln must die!). He liked it, but he rarely buys games, only pirates them, so.....I didn't get him hooked on that either.

I'm not that interested in the genre since innovations are few and rare, the genre stagnated.
But still, adventures are most likely to give me a believable world and deep characters.
I could do without the arbitrary puzzles, though.

Kick the vending machine three times? What?? Give the guard a toy box? This makes no sense!!! Grrr...

So, I always played all kinds of games, but in recent times I tried to get a bit more into RPGs. But except for Planescape: Torment and Fallout none seems too intriguing. The makers of those seem more interested in implementing the AD&D rulebook than making an interesting game...

In recent times my interest in adventure games rised again a bit as I discovered the old Legend adventures. They are a lot of fun and well designed.
They also made me realize why I am often bored by 3rd person adventures. I mean, I love the LucasArts games, but sometimes I want to yawn. It's not because the games have a slow pace and aren't full of action, instead it's the Point 'n Click mechanic. You know, click on the place where you want your character to go to. While he does that you do nothing! Yawn! It's the reason why I prefer direct control, it gives me a greater immersion and feeling of doing something. But direct control does work seldomly in 2D adventures (see Grim Fandango for a negative example), and 3D adventures are rare.
I wish developers would go more in this direction, but then, I guess the development budget rarely allows it. Hm.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #119

Quote:
~~ rtrooney ~~... If that statement is meant for me, no need. I've already admitted to being 60 earlier in the thread.
Certainly not!
What gave you that idea?

It was meant for some facetious person who called him(her)self "lordofflight.".
Old 05-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #120
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
In recent times my interest in adventure games rised again a bit as I discovered the old Legend adventures. They are a lot of fun and well designed.
If you haven't yet, I recommend trying Death Gate. It's my favorite of theirs and has very straight-forward, sensible (but still fun ) puzzles.