You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #921

I'm not sure about you guys, but the 30th of october 2010 I will be playing the Gray Matter in English.

After 11 years waiting for GK4, that kinda makes me happy.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:22 AM   #922

Quote:
Originally Posted by giga View Post
I'm not sure about you guys, but the 30th of october 2010 I will be playing the Gray Matter in English.

After 11 years waiting for GK4, that kinda makes me happy.
Me too i guess. Lets hope the german release isn't delayed.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:00 AM   #923
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Gray Mattter was originally meant to be a real-time 3D experience (at least in concept), iirc. They switched it to 2D. I suspect it's because they had a limited budget. Budget constraint is also apparent in the quality of the teaser trailer.
Well Gray Matter has 3D characters on 2D backgrounds. When was it suppose to be in full 3D?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:44 AM   #924
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Well Gray Matter has 3D characters on 2D backgrounds. When was it suppose to be in full 3D?
I couldn't find the specific article on it a few years back but I distinctly remember they were planning a real-time 3D format during the concept stage. It never happened.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-30-2010, 03:49 AM   #925
Life and times of...

Funny if they were after JJ's rather negative thoughts on it after GK3...
Old 10-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #926

The final system specifications were posted on the dtp forums.

--------------------------------------------
Minimum Specs
Windows®® XP/Vista/7 with .Net Framework 2.0
1.4 GHz Pentium® 4 or similar processor
512 MB RAM (XP) / 1 GB RAM (Vista/7)
128 MB DirectX® 9 compatible video card (Shader 2.0)
–ab ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Nvidia Geforce 6200TC and Intel GMA X3200
16 bit DirectX® 9 compatible sound card
6,5 GB space on hard disc
DVD-ROM Laufwerk

Recommended Specs
Windows®® XP/Vista/7 with .Net Framework 2.0
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or similar processor
1 GB RAM (XP) / 2GB RAM (Vista/7)
256 MB DirectX® 9 compatible video card (Shader 3.0)
– ab ATI Radeon 2xxx und Nvidia Geforce 8xxx
16 bit DirectX® 9 compatible sound card
6,5 GB space on hard disc
DVD-ROM drive
Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #927
DirectX Developer

Thanks Flamedrake for posting that .

Finally,¡¡¡ The system requirements!!!.. And I will be able to play the game in my PC, that's great

Regards
Old 10-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #928

Anyone from the dev team/publisher lurking around here (like Sidrath)? I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm yet if the 360 version is going to be region locked or not? Obviously I can play the PC version regardless but it'd be soooooooooo nice not to have to wait for a US release to play this on 360. Given that about the only Euro 360 games that are region locked are Soccer titles I'm hoping this one is region free as well.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #929

Video preview from Adventure-Treff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXV6EVf_ejs

Some points:

- Weak animations and puzzles
- Easy gameplay
- Good and entertaining story
- Some design flaws
Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #930
Senior *female* member

I want to be fair and reserve judgment until I have played the game. And I really am looking forward to another great story by Jane Jensen with deep characters, no matter what. But the comments in this preview have done nothing to take away my fears about other aspects of the game, especially gameplay issues. Apparently, lots of backtracking like there was in Runaway to see if new items have become available. Worse, you have to examine everything before you can go on to the next chapter, even if you have finished the puzzles and dialogues. The Lost Crown did the same, had me walking around forever.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #931

I can't understand a word of German so... Samantha's walking animation look very robotic, however David's looks a lot better and more human like, weird. Dispite that, from what i saw (like i said i didn't understand a word) it looked pretty good, looking forward.
Oh and i'm really liking the comic style cut scenes, but they will be heavily criticised by mainstream reviewers.

Last edited by Roper Klacks; 10-06-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #932
Codger

The 1D comic-style cut scenes come straight from her Oberon Games collaberation with James Patterson in the Womens Murder Club series. I'm not particularly impressed with the trailer.

Instead of standing in line with dollar in hand, I think I may be more inclined to read what others think before making that purchase decision.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #933

Just watching the video, without knowing more than a random word in German here and there, has really heightened my interest. I think the game itself looks outstanding.

Toward the end of the video she says something about Gabriel Knight. Could anybody translate that part?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #934
Senior *female* member

She says: Gray Matter left a good impression in spite of a couple of design flaws, and if the story fullfills its promise of the first four chapters, we can look forward to Jane Jensen's new adventure. But the game will probably not match the quality of the GK series, at least not as far as gameplay is concerned.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #935

oh wow, character animations look terrible in that preview video, especially the main character.

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
She says: Gray Matter left a good impression in spite of a couple of design flaws, and if the story fullfills its promise of the first four chapters, we can look forward to Jane Jensen's new adventure. But the game will probably not match the quality of the GK series, at least not as far as gameplay is concerned.
Thanks, Fien. That's a reasonable assessment. We'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
oh wow, character animations look terrible in that preview video, especially the main character.
Shrug. It doesn't bother me at all, but I still am not bothered by the graphics and animation in Gabriel Knight 3. The story's the thing, and I have great faith in Jane. Wish I could say the same for everyone else involved...
Old 10-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #937
Strategy Guide Author

The art style and backgrounds are incredible. Stiff animations won't bother me. The story is what you're playing this for. With the puzzles/gameplay a close second. If there's a ton of annoying backtracking that will suck a bit but from everything I've seen in this video, looks great.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #938
The Quiet One

I think it looks great and the animations don't bother me at all.

Again, my only concern is how well the game is going to do - mainly on the Xbox 360. I'm starting to think it's a bad decision to port the game on that console. 360 gamers who have never heard of Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight or Gray Matter are most likely going to be put off this because of the style of the cutscenes and gameplay.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #939

Yes, I do agree story is the most important element in an adventure game. However, so many years spent on developing this game and in the end having this sort of character animation quality is just unacceptable. And it's not only the stiff movement that's bothering me, there is also the charactcer movement not matching the objects/ or the environment it's manipulating (Samantha opening a door, and another girl dealing cards)... I might seem a bit harsh but I just want the game to be perfect... Also I want to say I love the art style of this game, the cutscenes and the backgrounds I love, and the music is awesome...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 10-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Again, my only concern is how well the game is going to do - mainly on the Xbox 360. I'm starting to think it's a bad decision to port the game on that console. 360 gamers who have never heard of Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight or Gray Matter are most likely going to be put off this because of the style of the cutscenes and gameplay.
I agree. I'm not really afraid of the Xbox 360 gamers (because no one will buy it, i'm joking but really... it will sell close to nothing on Xbox) but the mainstrem reviewers. They will tear it apart (i dont blame them really, they are used to technical wonders like Mass Effect 2, Halo's and so on) simply because Gray Matter will be a very flawed game based around ancient mechanics that mainstream games don't use anymore.

The niche adventure reviewers are a lot more tolerant to that, but i expect the Xbox version to have a very low metacritic score, and that will generate bad publicity and even lower sales.