You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #601
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
Everyones to nice on these forums haha.
Sir, you insult me!

Quote:
I asked earlier in this thread if there's a definitive release date yet, because truthfully, this game does intrigue me, even if I am personally disappointed in the genre as of late. However no one has answered.
Anyone know, other than Q4 of 2010?
A few days ago, I read at a German adventure site that one of the team members said that dtp said that they didn't have definitive release date yet. Yeah, hearsay all the way.

teme:
Quote:
Eurogamer just posted nice and positive preview of Gray Matter
I realize I'm cursing and swearing in the church, but I can hear alarm bells going off when I read stuff like "non-animated cut scenes". I saw them in the trailer, but I thought that was just... you know, for the trailer! Reminds me too much of the black-and-white drawn cut scenes in Return to Mysterious Island, screaming LOW BUDGET at the top of their voice.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I realize I'm cursing and swearing in the church, but I can hear alarm bells going off when I read stuff like "non-animated cut scenes". I saw them in the trailer, but I thought that was just... you know, for the trailer! Reminds me too much of the black-and-white drawn cut scenes in Return to Mysterious Island, screaming LOW BUDGET at the top of their voice.
I think that style can look good artistically in a graphic novel sort of way, but it most definitely wouldn't be my first choice. Though its effectiveness depends entirely on the artist and composition too. It seems pretty decent in the trailer, to me atleast, if a little bit jarring at first. (Although we've seen plenty of graphic novels associated with Jane's games before, so it doesn't seem entirely out of place either.) The style is used pretty effectively in inFamous on PS3 too. (Here's the opening cut scene.)
Old 05-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #603
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
I think that style can look good artistically in a graphic novel sort of way, but it most definitely wouldn't be my first choice. Though its effectiveness depends entirely on the artist and composition too. It seems pretty decent in the trailer, to me atleast, if a little bit jarring at first. (Although we've seen plenty of graphic novels associated with Jane's games before, so it doesn't seem entirely out of place either.) The style is used pretty effectively in inFamous on PS3 too. (Here's the opening cut scene.)
My guess for it being non-animated cutscenes? They couldn't afford anything else. Ah well, I hope the art direction can make up for it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
My guess for it being non-animated cutscenes? They couldn't afford anything else.
Yeah, you're almost certainly right, but that doesn't mean it can't be good. Here's hoping.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #605
Senior *female* member

Quote:
My guess for it being non-animated cutscenes? They couldn't afford anything else.
Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
Yeah, you're almost certainly right,
Thank you.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:24 AM   #606
Failed Birthday Elf

The non animated (or barely animated) "comic book" cut scenes in GK1 were fine in my opinion, I thought they were great. However, we are now over 10 years down the line and I've got to admit I would much prefer animated cut scenes nowadays.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #607
MoP
Comfortably Numb

It's not the tool, it's how you use it.
Another example that worked really well (in my book at least) that comes to mind is Max Payne.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:50 AM   #608
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
Sorry if this has been brought up already, but I'm too lazy to go back and re-read five zillion posts on this topic. I noticed that the short blurb about this game says that it will feature point-and-click control, as well as direct (game pad) control. Obviously the latter is because of the Xbox version coming out... but does anyone know if the PC version will include the direct control option as well? I'm hoping it does, because I was one of the few who enjoyed the direct control on games like Dreamfall and Broken Sword 3. Likewise, the P&C option should be available for people who want it as well.

Forgive me, as I just now started checking out the screens and news blurbs for this game. Consider me an excited passenger on the hype train!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Does this mean that it won't be regular point & click either on the XBox or both that and PC? I don't really want highlighting as it takes away from the immersion. Once again, you feel like you're just playing a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
It's point-and-click on PC, fear not
From Andrea's post I gathered that it's P&C on the PC, direct control on XBox. No switches.

I'm bummed about that too, but what can you do?

Or am I wrong?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #609

Quote:
My guess for it being non-animated cutscenes? They couldn't afford anything else. Ah well, I hope the art direction can make up for it.
You can see what they'll look like in this trailer. I think it looks fantastic. Some people might react initially to the phrase "non-animated" as if everything is static, but it's clear there's a lot of style and layering to the cutscenes. I dig it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWaW-4yUZpQ

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #610
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
You can see what they'll look like in this trailer. I think it looks fantastic. Some people might react initially to the phrase "non-animated" as if everything is static, but it's clear there's a lot of style and layering to the cutscenes. I dig it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWaW-4yUZpQ
Thanks, but I had already seen that a while back. I was not so impressed.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #611
Life and times of...

Anyone who reads German well enough know if there's anything worth mentioning in the three articles linked to from the German version of the official site?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #612

Well, the Eurogamer.de preview sounds very confident when it says that the game will be really really released in 2010.

The previews also mention full-screen puzzles, for an example there's one where you have to manipulate a machine to receive messages from the afterlife.

I think the most important other aspects were already mentioned in the English previews.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #613
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

In a Polish interview for Adventure-Zone Jane Jensen revealed also that she's pushing for the game to have 2 quite different endings in the vein of Gabriel Knight 1 - meaning one will be the clearly more satisfactory one.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:31 AM   #614

Is that an en-/decryption puzzle?

This game just dropped in my "want" list. I hope it's not full of those things.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #615

Quote:
It might be, but I have no idea how it plays, of course.
Like I said, you receive messages with this machine from the afterlife. Dunno how it will work.
Maybe it's a bit like the ouija board puzzle in 3 Cards to Midnight.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #616

What? We have people complaining because there is a screenshot of a PUZZLE in a Jane Jensen adventure game? Weren't the Gabriel Knight games full of pad and paper puzzles?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #617

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
No. It's a totally different kind of puzzle.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #618

That's a RNG (Random Number Generator.) The programing of it, I found, to be one of the most challenging sections in the game.

That European reviewer gave too much away by saying it's a means to communicate with the afterlife.

To my knowledge, there is only one ending. Jane has said so before in other interviews. I'd take that statement of there being two, as false... Unless, just recently she's planned something else.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manly One View Post
That's a RNG (Random Number Generator.) The programing of it, I found, to be one of the most challenging sections in the game.
Hard, but quite satisfying, true.

So, Little Writer, you can put your mind at ease
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #620

New interview: Jane Jansen talks Gray Matter