You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #21

Hmm... right now, I'm wondering how Mrs. Jensen is going to handle puzzles and static issues in a huge 3d world: granted, GK3 was huge but these days, many newer puzzle games have even more screens. And that house looks pretty big after all.

Hopefully, GM will be less static than a lot of 3d AGs are which has been a big problem given how much you can manipulate various items in RTS, FPS and even RPG games these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Look really great. Anyone know the publisher for north america?
Nope, no idea at all. Most likely, it'll be The Adventure Company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Irishman View Post
Is that Robert Holmes music playing in the website? Sure does sound like that.
Huh... really? I didn't know that.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #22

The production values seem to be okay. I like the visual style and I think going back from full 3D (of GK3) to 2.5D is a good decision, because 2.5D is safer choice and probably not as expensive as 3D.

We have only seen screenshots from the mansion, which worries me a bit. I hope that the adventure is large and there are many different locations, like in GK2. I hope that the production of GM isn't limited too much by the budget (the GM budget probably is lower than GK2 or GK3).
Old 02-16-2008, 02:11 AM   #23
Life and times of...

AG still says the official release date is Q1 2008, but that must be outdated, right? I mean, we barely have some screenshots and there's almost no info about it anywhere. Is there any info on the release date, whether it be just that Q1 isn't correct or that they're just being quiet about it for some reason until the release or anything?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:45 AM   #24

I hate to say this, but Gray Matter is turning into a complete joke. The official release date is almost upon us, we've had no news for months (and not much before that), and yet GM is still top of all the anticipated release charts just because it's being made by Jane Jensen (never mind that her last 'adventure game' was basically a tarted-up version of Minesweeper). I don't think I've ever seen a game generate so much hype with so little effort on the part of the developers - oh, wait, yes I have.

I don't want to imply that I want or expect Gray Matter to fail - I don't - but I really do feel that Jensen and her publishers are taking the piss here. I mean, all they've given us so far is a handful of not-very-impressive screenshots, a few interviews, and a trailer that shows almost nothing. Even the people at the Cort-X fansite are saying that their emails aren't being answered any more, and they still haven't had an answer to the interview questions they sent out last June. At the very least, GM should be moved down the Hype-o-Meter at the next update if we haven't had any news by then.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:15 AM   #25
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
I hate to say this, but Gray Matter is turning into a complete joke.
I have to agree with this.

Quote:
The official release date is almost upon us, we've had no news for months (and not much before that), and yet GM is still top of all the anticipated release charts just because it's being made by Jane Jensen (never mind that her last 'adventure game' was basically a tarted-up version of Minesweeper).
She probably prefers producing those insipid hidden object "mysteries" for her Oberon company. Like that awful perverted version of Evil under the Sun and her latest brain child, Peril at End House.

Jane's Brain Drain:

Come on, Jane! Find your hidden grey matter and take pity on your faithful adventure fan base.

PS: And the same goes for A Vampyre Story. I'll expect it when I see it.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:34 AM   #26

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

The Italian specialized press reported the news that Gray Matter had been postponed, like So Blonde, due to schedule problem. Seems that Anaconda don't want to release a final product rushed or incomplete (there was even an interview with the publisher saying so).

For Gray Matter, I think that a certain amount of secrecy is needed to keep high the hype, but knowing Jane Jensen's previous a.g. (not her casual games, although I did find them slightly better than others casuals) I suppose that we're in safe hand.

For the pics, I love the atmosphere: they are sunny (most of all), and still maintain a mysterious quality, a subtle anxiety. Same for the trailer, although I agree that characters walk a bit strangely: I hope they enhanced the animations for the final game.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #27

Here is the link to the article (in Italian) about Gray Matter delay
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #28
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Here is the link to the article (in Italian) about Gray Matter delay
My Italian sucks, but I can read dates and that news is old.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
My Italian sucks, but I can read dates and that news is old.
I'm afraid you're right. I don't speak a word of Italian, but I can still understand "the new date of release will be end 2007 - 1st quarter 2008", or words to that effect - which doesn't sound any different from what we'd already heard.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #30

Oh, yes... I didn't think that maybe you, in countries other than Italy, already knew of this. For us, it was a surprise 'cause, before of the end of January '08, we don't know anything at all about the game (at least from the specialized press).

Sorry ^^

Old 02-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #31

I wouldn't say Gray Matter is a complete joke, but it is pretty lame that there hasn't been any news for several months. I'm not sure if the people at Anaconda realize how many people are eagerly awaiting this game above all others. I've been waiting for it ever since I finished Gabriel Knight 3, some 8 years ago. Going to the Anaconda website only makes me wonder if anything is going on at all. There hasn't been much news at all from them about any of their games (at least on the English website, the German site is much more up-to-date) apart from So Blond. That game is getting way more attention, for some reason.
Games get delayed all the time, but I feel somehow that Gray Matter isn't at the top of their list the way it's at the top of mine. All anyone can do is be patient, and hope for some good news sometime soon. But if anyone from Anaconda is reading this, I'd just like to say Hello! Plenty of us are still interested here!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #32
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
There hasn't been much news at all from them about any of their games ... apart from So Blond. That game is getting way more attention, for some reason.
Hooray!

Seriously, knowing the guys at DTP/Anaconda, I'm sure they care very strongly about Gray Matter. However, as So Blonde is due out next month you can see why they are favouring it just at the moment. I'm looking forward to this game, too, along with Mata Hari.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #33
Caffein Queen

Quote:
However, as So Blonde is due out next month you can see why they are favouring it just at the moment. I'm looking forward to this game, too, along with Mata Hari.
Me toooo!!
Just wish it was the english version

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 02-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince View Post

Seriously, knowing the guys at DTP/Anaconda, I'm sure they care very strongly about Gray Matter.
I hope so.

And I hope that, after the release of "So Blonde", we can get some serious information on Gray Matter

Old 02-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #35
Writer-Designer

I just realised that what I wrote reads wrongly. I meant, of course, that I'm looking forward to Gray Matter.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #36

Hi, Steve. I hope it didn't sound like I was disparaging So Blonde in any way. Your game looks great and I'm really looking forward to it. Playing it sounds about the best way to keep busy while waiting for Gray Matter news.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #37
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince View Post
Hooray!

Seriously, knowing the guys at DTP/Anaconda, I'm sure they care very strongly about Gray Matter. However, as So Blonde is due out next month you can see why they are favouring it just at the moment. I'm looking forward to this game, too, along with Mata Hari.
Well since Gray Matter is listed (at least here) to be released in the first quarter of 2008 it should also come out next month.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:38 PM   #38
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
Hi, Steve. I hope it didn't sound like I was disparaging So Blonde in any way. Your game looks great and I'm really looking forward to it. Playing it sounds about the best way to keep busy while waiting for Gray Matter news.
Thanks for the kind words. No, I didn't see it as disparaging, just that you were so keen for Gray Matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Well since Gray Matter is listed (at least here) to be released in the first quarter of 2008 it should also come out next month.
Unfortunately, publishers don't keep me abreast of their other projects.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #39

Quote:
I hate to say this, but Gray Matter is turning into a complete joke.
You are absolutely right

Quote:
At the very least, GM should be moved down the Hype-o-Meter at the next update if we haven't had any news by then.
Gray Matter is still No.1 in the Hype-o-Meter and this is sad, not to mention that it makes me suspicious about the integrity of the Hype-o-Meter.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:37 AM   #40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sakil View Post
Gray Matter is still No.1 in the Hype-o-Meter and this is sad, not to mention that it makes me suspicious about the integrity of the Hype-o-Meter.
Integrity? What are you on about now?
The Hype-o-meter is simply what the AG team think are the currently most hyped games, taking forum views and reader feedback into account, and as you might notice, it hasn't been updated since late January.

The Hype-o-meter will soon be due an update anyway, since several of the titles on the list have now been released.