You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Destination: Treasure Island

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 04:54 AM   #1

Default Destination: Treasure Island

Who's playing this game now? I noticed that i
Spoiler:
f you forget to take the sextant and the chronometer (or in my case take apart the chronometer and wreck it) you start the second part with your boat wrecked rather than safely moored
. I wonder if this has a big bearing on the game as a whole? I'm enjoying the game so far, even thinking of getting a few bits of string and trying the knots
Old 05-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #2

They obviously like Lost,
Spoiler:
there's 4 8 15 16 23 42 written on the wreck of the ship near the end of the game
:p
Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #3

That's one short game, and easy too! Can anyone recommend me a game that is a bit longer?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:46 AM   #4

You can get killed in the game, once!
Spoiler:
If you fire the cannon without lowering it, before you deal with the pirates.
So I guess nobody's playing it...
Old 06-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #5

Are there any other ways to die in the game? I've just started playing it and i keep hearing a roaring noise (like a bear or a big cat), and it's freaking me out. I hate the prospect of dying in games...
Old 07-01-2007, 06:00 AM   #6
Hopeful skeptic

Nope, you're safe. Even in the one instance noted above, you're returned to a point immediately beforehand, so it's not a problem.

You will meet the source of the noise at some point, though.

Very nice game, by the way. Easily Kheops' best since RTMI.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #7

I played that game recently and think there are quite a few different ways to die in the game (I am very quick to forget games after playing them). When that happens in games then I want to try it out kind of like in Nancy Drew games to get her fired or eaten by plants. Return to mysterious island is a longer game than this one maybe you should check that one out.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
LA-S-LE

Quote:
Easily Kheops' best since RTMI.
I think Voyage was much better and original. After that game every new adventure from Kheops became more of the same thing, with a bunch of new ideas thrown in. You can hardly tell any differences between RtMI and DTI. Not that the games are bad (they are a little above mediocore for me), but repetitiveness and lack of good stories (I think DTI has the weakest story of all Kheops games) become frusrating. And the game is too short and easy.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
Hopeful skeptic

Hey, bring on short and easy games. I don't have the time or patience for long games anymore, most of which are padded with filler anyway.

Voyage was a pretty good game, but it was mainly RTMI on the moon, so the difference was really just window dressing. If you're going to criticize repetitiveness, you can start there. Story? Well, sure, they're all weak, but they're survival adventures.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #10

I liked Return to Mysterious Island. It was the first game to use that kind of inventory where you can combine and take apart different objects. I didn't enjoy either of the following games as much. I was disappointed by Voyage because there was too much trial and error involved in figuring which combinations produced a usable item. There wasn't any real world basis for most of the combinations. And there was too much back and forthing to get things you needed more of for your experimenting. The game would only let you pick up 3 of an object, even though you needed a lot more. Also, objects didn't stack in inventory, so they took up more space than they really had to. Destination: Treasure Island was too easy IMO, and I don't think it took advantage of the inventory combination capability of the interface as well as the earlier games. I think Kheops was responding to complaints that the inventory was too large, but the game suffered for it.

Maybe the game you play first affects which is your favorite of the three. Return to Mysterious Island was published first and was the first that I played. For someone who played Voyage first, that would be the first time they encountered the novelty of the inventory system.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #11
LA-S-LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Voyage was a pretty good game, but it was mainly RTMI on the moon, so the difference was really just window dressing. If you're going to criticize repetitiveness, you can start there.
While Voyage used (mostly) the same interface, it was more of a Myst-clone with inventory puzzles, while RTMI was all about combinations and pixel-hunting. Voyage really tried to develop a good storyline, introducing alien language and all sorts of gadgets and fauna. I think it was the most creative game from Kheops with a strong, rich gameplay. BTW, I'm not a Myst fan

crabapple
Quote:
For someone who played Voyage first, that would be the first time they encountered the novelty of the inventory system.
I played RTMI first, and I found Voyage to be a much more enjoyable game. Actually, I didn't find any novelty in Kheops inventory system. Weird combinations were introduced much, much earlier with CVs' Lost in Time