You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Project Jane-J Unofficial FAQ

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 09:58 PM   #1

Default Project Jane-J Unofficial FAQ

I had nothing better to do so I decided to compile everything we know about Project Jane-J from the interviews and previews into a FAQ.

PROJECT JANE-J
Developer: Odyssey Digital Entertainment
Publisher: The Adventure Company
Release Date: Q4 2004

01.) What is Project Jane-J?:
Project Jane-J is the working title of a new adventure game designed by Jane Jensen. The game was originally going to be called Gray Matter until it was discovered that a game company already had the same name. The new title for the game has not yet been chosen or atleast announced. A promotional image showing the games original name can be found here. The expected release date is Q4 2004.

02.) Press Release:
Quote:
Toronto, Ontario, May 13th 2003 - The Adventure Company today announced it has an agreement with Jane Jensen and the company she co-founded, Odyssey Digital Entertainment, to write and produce an exclusive new title. Terms of the deal were not discussed.
Jane Jensen has made a massive name for herself amongst gamers, especially the legions of fans that adored her Gabriel Knight Mystery Series. Renowned for writing some of the most story-intensive games of all time, Jane has the ability to capture the gamer's imagination.

"I'm truly delighted to be working with Jane, we're all massive fans here,' commented CEO, Richard Wah Kan. "She brings an amazing level of intensity to adventure games."

Jane is currently in the midst of the design process of this next game, and although untitled, 'Project Jane-J' will be a mystery that takes the paranormal very seriously. Based on mind-altering experiments of a reclusive doctor, the story throws a young female student deep into a world of telepathy and clairvoyance, where nothing is as it seems. Like CSI's use of forensic science, the game and story-line will be based on real neurobiology and psi research.

The game-play will be a combination of investigative, third-person adventure game play, Myst-style logic puzzles interspersed with some arcade-style sequences. The title is expected to be on shelves in Q4 2004.

About The Adventure Company

The Adventure Company, a division of DreamCatcher Interactive Inc., is a leading publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment devoted exclusively to releasing titles geared towards adventure gamers. The Adventure Company is committed to publishing games that deliver maximum value on multiple platforms including the PC, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, GameCube®, and Xbox™. The Adventure Company is based in Toronto, Canada. (
Quote:
.)
The Press Release can be found here.

03.) Where is Project Jane-J set?:
The main setting of the game was originally going to be somewhere in Vermont. This has been mentioned in a variety of interviews and previews conducted with Jane Jensen during E3 2003. A more recent interview with Jane Jensen featured in Volume #10 of " The Inventory" established that the setting would be Oxford, England. This may mean that the game will be set in both of these locations or the original setting may have been changed. One of the key locations in the game is going to be a university campus.

04.) What is the Story/Premise of Project Jane-J?:
This is a direct quote from the Press Release (Which is posted earlier in the FAQ) which pretty much summed up the premise of the game:
Quote:
Based on mind-altering experiments of a reclusive doctor, the story throws a young female student deep into a world of telepathy and clairvoyance, where nothing is as it seems. Like CSI's use of forensic science, the game and story-line will be based on real neurobiology and psi research.
Apart from the basic premise of the series, nothing is really known about the story. Jane Jensen mentioned in an interview that the game was not really as history based as the Gabriel Knight series. Based on the Press Release as well as information gathered in previews and interviews, the game is going to be more reality based. Multiple interviews have stated that while the Gabriel Knight trilogy was inspired by comics, the Project Jane-J storyline relates more to TV Shows and Movies like The X-Files and The Matrix.

05.) Is Project Jane-J going to be a series of games?:
Jane Jensen and The Adventure Company are hoping that Project Jane-J will be the first game in a series of adventures. Jane Jensen states that she also originally planned Gabriel Knight as a series as well when Sierra made Gabriel Knight: Sins Of The Fathers.

06.) Which character do you play as the most in Project Jane-J?:
Jane Jensen stated in an interview conducted by Just Adventure + that Samantha will be the playable character throughout six of the nine chapters of Project Jane-J.

07.) How long will Project Jane-J be?:
In the Adventure Gamers interview with Jane Jensen, she mentioned that the first Project Jane-J game would most likely be fairly long. She also said that it's possible that future games in the series may be shorter and released on a more regular basis.

08.) How difficult will Project Jane-J be?:
Jane Jensen also said in an interview in Volume #10 of " The Inventory" that the game would probably have a difficulty level somewhere in between Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within and Gabriel Knight III: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned.

09.) What's the current progress of Project Jane-J?:
Not much is known about the current progress of the game. The game is most likely still in pre-production or early production. Jane Jensen has confirmed in interviews and previews that she has finished writing the 'bible' for Project Jane-J. This means that the story has been written, the puzzles have been designed, and etc. It has been established that Odyssey Digital Entertainment does not have an in-house production studio at the moment. The Adventure Company wants to use an already established studio to work with Jane Jensen to create the game.

10.) Who is doing the music for Project Jane-J?:
Jane Jensen stated in an interview conducted by " The Inventory" that she would like to have her husband Robert Holmes do the music. Robert Holmes is the same person who did the music for the Gabriel Knight trilogy. From the sounds of it this isn't official yet, so don't expect Holmes to definately be doing the music for Project Jane-J.

11.) What type of engine will Project Jane-J use?:
The engine of the game hasn't been officially decided, Although Jane Jensen has speculated that it would most likely be a combination of 3D Characters against a 2D Backdrop. This would be similiar to games like Syberia and The Longest Journey. This information can be found in the interview conducted by " The Inventory."

12.) Who is Jane Jensen?:
Jane Jensen is an adventure game designer as well as author of several recently published books including Dante's Equation, Millenium Rising (aka Judgement Day) as well as the book incarnation of Sins of the Fathers and The Beast Within. She worked at Sierra on a variety of adventure games as co-writer for Kings Quest VI and writer and designer of the entire Gabriel Knight trilogy until the company went insane. She's also the greatest adventure game writer of all-time. To find out more about Jane Jensen you can go to her website JaneJensen.com.

Related Links:
Previews:
Adventure Gamers
GameSpot Preview
Jane Jensen.com Project Jane-J section

Interviews:
The Inventory: Volume #10
GameSpy Interview
HomeLan Interview
Just Adventure+ Interview

Feel free to add a FAQ when more information is released. Yeah... I know the majority of these questions haven't even been asked let alone frequently asked but who gives a damn. Project Jane-J is going to kick-ass!

Last edited by SerialFreak; 01-30-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:57 AM   #2
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Well done! This is quite comprehensive.

I have to say I really like this idea, and I'd love to see more FAQs appear on the forum. I might even be inclined to sticky them.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:07 AM   #3
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Yeah, this was really informative. I didn't know all this! Great job!
Old 01-30-2004, 06:26 AM   #4

Nice, SerialFreak. I appreciate you putting your time and effort into this.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:32 AM   #5
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

In your links to The Inventory issue 10, the filename in the URL has '11' in it, not '10'. Is this an error on your part, or have the Inventories got a weird naming convention or something? Apart from that, great, very informative.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
Bearly Here

That was a great piece of work. I like it as a feature idea. The FAQ's list for the hyped games. Ecellent!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:51 PM   #7
Dungeon Master

Excellent work. I want more of these. And I loved the "until the company went insane" bit.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:39 PM   #8

AGA: That was my mistake. I've fixed the links.

Thanks for the comments everybody. I left out two pretty important questions:

13.) Who are the main characters of Project Jane-J?:
Project Jane-J will feature two playable characters like the Gabriel Knight trilogy, although Jane Jensen has made it clear that they are very different characters in comparison to Gabriel Knight and Grace Nakimura. The female lead character in Project Jane-J is named Samantha. It has been established in a variety of interviews and previews that her character is a graduate student who performs magic tricks. The Adventure Gamers preview states that she has problems with authority most likely because she was raised in foster care. Samantha will be the primary playable character in Project Jane-J. Due to the fact that the game is more reality based, the magic tricks that Samantha perform are said to be real.

When Project Jane-J was initially announced the male lead character did not have a name, but a more recent interview with " The Inventory" suggests that his name could be David. This character has been described as a neurobiologist who was involved in a car accident that killed his wife and left him with severe burns. This character is the reclusive doctor that was mentioned in the Press Release. Various interviews, previews, as well as the Press Release state that the game is based on his mind-altering experiments specifically relating to the power and potential of the mind. According to an interview conducted at Just Adventure +, Jane Jensen has stated that the male character is the more prominent of the two. She claims that the character will be mysterious and that she wanted to introduce him into the story through someone elses perspective.

14.) What type of gameplay will Project Jane-J have?:
Jane Jensen stated in an interview conducted by " The Inventory" that the game would feature a point-and-click interface. This is how the press release describes the gameplay of Project Jane-J:
Quote:
The game-play will be a combination of investigative, third-person adventure game play, Myst-style logic puzzles interspersed with some arcade-style sequences.
Jane Jensen has stated that the description of the puzzles featured in this game is similar to the way she would describe the puzzles featured in Gabriel Knight III: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned. The Adventure Gamers interview with Jane Jensen states that there will be optional side quests or "scavenger hunts" that the player will be able to complete throughout the game. This leaves the game open for more extended replayability.

Last edited by SerialFreak; 02-01-2004 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:57 AM   #9
mor

Fisrt up (like all the others said [and getting boaring]) nice work !

And I totally agree with everything you said about Jane Jensen! I read the book "sins of the fathers", and it was the first book that gave me that chiking throught feeling, So I do think that shes one of the gratest if not the gratest herself !!!
And I was fairly disapointed when the idea of GK4 was canceled (I was actually looking for news on it for about 4 years [since I finished GK3])

any way, good idea.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:18 PM   #10

Is there anyway to increase the character count of the first post so I can edit the two other questions into it. I don't expect you to change the character count of the entire forum if it can't be done specifically for that post.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:02 AM   #11

I cant wait till her new game is out on the shelves, so I can buy it and play it
Old 02-07-2004, 11:24 AM   #12
Banned User

Remember, folks, you heard this prediction from me first:

I hereby predict that Jane Jensen and TAC will come to a parting of the ways before the release of Project-J. Either the entire project will end up scrapped or there will be a delay of up to a year as the project is shopped around to other publishers.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:32 PM   #13

Just because you were right about Uru. Is this based on anything?
Old 02-07-2004, 02:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak

Well I hope nothing goes wrong and it gets on the shelves and sells well I need a new game from her to play
Old 02-07-2004, 02:40 PM   #15
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
Just my instincts and what I know about the industry and TAC in particular. No facts. No rumors. Just.... hints, vibes and intuition.

Same as it was when I made the prediction (including the exact reason/excuse) of the curtailing of URU Live two days before it happened. That was the same intuition.

Just remember: if it happens, you heard it hear first. If it doesn't, you'll have yet another reason to laugh at me.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:44 PM   #16

I think the game will most definately be delayed... It seems like it could still be really early in development. That's just a guess though. (I doubt TAC would cancel it... it could happen I guess. )
Old 02-07-2004, 02:47 PM   #17
Banned User

If it is cancelled, it won't be on TAC's end. It will be Jane cancelling the project to get away from TAC.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:57 PM   #18

That's not very optimistic. Hopefully this will be The Adventure Company's first of many awesome adventures with high production values.

Last edited by SerialFreak; 02-07-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:24 PM   #19
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I think that without any sort of evidence it's a little irresponsible for a staff member at Ags to start such rumours or to make such insinuations. As innocent as it may be, these things tend to snowball - "chinese whispers" and all that.

EDIT: Sorry reread it and I know I'm sticking my nose where it's probably not wanted, but I just don't think it's a good idea for a respected staff member at a respected site to start rumours. Thats all
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!

Last edited by DomStLeger; 02-07-2004 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:22 PM   #20
Banned User

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dom. I was under the impresion that I was about as "respected" around here as a (fill in the derogatory simile of your choice).

(We could make in into a contest. Most Appropriate Simile wins a an engraved gold rat's ass. Second place wins a an all-expense-paid flying fuck at a rolling doughnut. One thousand third place winners are allowed to download Aretha Franklin's version of R-E-S-P-E-C-T Courtesy of Pepsi Cola.)

Actually, it is pretty common practice for critics to make bold (and often unfounded) predictions. It wouldn't be June without Roger Ebert declaring some movie a "sure Oscar contender" eight months before the nominations are made. It wouldn't be September without TV Guide declaring some series that hasn't even premiered yet "the comedy hit of the new season."

I did, at least, insist that my prediction was not to be taken as a rumor founded in fact, but rather a simple prediction based on nothing more than gut instinct.

But thanks for the compliment. It means a lot. Really.