You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The obligatory Sam & Max: Situation Comedy thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 05:27 AM   #1
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune
Default The obligatory Sam & Max: Situation Comedy thread!

I can't believe nobody has made a thread of the game yet! I just beat and I must say...

It's just as good and funny as the previous one, but.... I dunno, more tame? I mean, they didn't bop anyone in this game! It's not funny if nobody gets hurt!

Things to look out for:
Spoiler:

-The BarrelHaven Tavern prop in the studio when you enter the first time.
-Red Dye 2: Monkey Island reference? In the cooking show.
-The Telltale table fro Texas Hold'em? I think it's behind the sitcom stage?

Also, I think it's just as easy as the previous game, not that I'm complaining...
Old 01-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
Psychonaut

I think it was certainly shorter than the first one. Or maybe it was just easier and I flew through it in a couple of hours.

Immensly funny though.

From the "My So called Life" reference, the What Ho! Jolly Good! Bosco to the various TV shows I laughed myself silly.

Just wish it lasted longer.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

I liked it for the most part, but not nearly as much as the prior. Partly, I blame this on recycling.

I mean, I know I might be asking for too much, but I wish Sam & Max would've had their commentary updated for places that they've been to before. And I wouldn't have minded seeing a few minor tweaks to the office, just to show a slight passage of time.

SWB
Old 01-06-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
LA-S-LE

I think it is better then SM1. Very funny interactive cartoon with great characters and dynamic gameplay. Still no signs of adventure game though..
Old 01-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #5

I've just finished it, and I had a lot of fun with it. I definitely thought the writing was snappier this time, and I always found myself wanting to go on playing.

It definitely feels shorter than the first one, though I'm not sure it actually is. I think part of the feeling is due to the game's not being longer than you'd expect. I mean: in Culture Shock, you could expect to be very close to the end when you had done what seemed to be the big tasks (getting rid of the Soda Poppers), but there was actually quite a fair bit of game left after that, leaving the very positive impression that the game was not as small as you thought at first; here, on the other hand, when you've done the big tasks (getting Myra the 3 things she asks for), well, you really are at the end of the game; so maybe that's why it feels shorter.

Still, I had a blast with it, and, at the end of the day, that's what matters.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 01-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I haven't yet bought Sam & Max Episodes, but next week I'm gonna preorder the whole season if I have the time. I'm going to London (again) next Thursday and I might not have the time to play S&M.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

They're probably hiding a cow!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Probably going to be buying the season set over the weekend. Hopefully they'll get longer, as Culture Shock really was pretty short.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Under pressure.

I'm loving it!

--Erwin
Old 01-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune View Post
It's just as good and funny as the previous one, but.... I dunno, more tame? I mean, they didn't bop anyone in this game! It's not funny if nobody gets hurt!
You know, I read this criticism in Evan's review and I really don't understand it. These games are about on the level of the comics. Maybe people are remembering the comics to be more graphically violent than they were? Certainly, one the more humorous elements of Sam & Max is its more abrupt and violent gags, but in general it relies more on silliness than outright offensiveness. Also we did remember the parts where Max put a bullet in Sam's head and Max recounting his tale of beating a purse-snatcher with a parking meter?

I dunno, maybe actually seeing the characters modeled and voiced and brought to life leaves less to the imagination, but it seems pretty close to correct to me. Telltale shouldn't make Sam & Max needlessly gory for the same reason they shouldn't try to make it family friendly - neither would be being faithful to the license.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #11

The first episode had the habit of frequently crashing on me, and Telltale still haven't been able to fix that bug. I've payed for the full season, but I won't play this episode until I'm sure it works like it should. Maybe I'll just wait for the disc release.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
Schättenjager

Imo thats the only full 3-d adv. works flawless,both techically and artistically outstanding.I almost fell the same Lucasart adv. heyday exciment had long years ago.Simply best adv. of 2ks.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky View Post
You know, I read this criticism in Evan's review and I really don't understand it. These games are about on the level of the comics. Maybe people are remembering the comics to be more graphically violent than they were? Certainly, one the more humorous elements of Sam & Max is its more abrupt and violent gags, but in general it relies more on silliness than outright offensiveness. Also we did remember the parts where Max put a bullet in Sam's head and Max recounting his tale of beating a purse-snatcher with a parking meter?

I dunno, maybe actually seeing the characters modeled and voiced and brought to life leaves less to the imagination, but it seems pretty close to correct to me. Telltale shouldn't make Sam & Max needlessly gory for the same reason they shouldn't try to make it family friendly - neither would be being faithful to the license.
Who said gory? A little bop in the head will do!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #14
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

There are explosions and tales of beating hoodlums! Is that not enough? Either way, I guarantee that episode 3 will have more on screen pummeling of thugs.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
Friendly Server Admin

Maybe even a few goons.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #16

My insane bitterness after the LEC sequel and Project Jane-J were canned in '04 has almost healed with these completely awesome episodic adventures. (As well as this years hopeful release of Grey Matter ) I've got my season pre-ordered. I enjoyed Situation: Comedy even more than Culture Shock! Keep 'em coming Telltale!

Some of my favourite moments:
Spoiler:
Myra thinking a 'Ketchup Cake' is some form of innuendo - her reaction was comedy gold! Sam & Max's audition was also great and good use of existing inventory items. Bosco's accent rocked! Plus I enjoyed the seeds of a story arc form as well as exploring the studios!

Last edited by D.C.; 01-07-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:24 AM   #17
Bogart incarnate

Send a message via ICQ to HeinzHarald

If I'm not mistaken the first episode is supposed to be a bit longer than the rest. I seem to recall Telltale saying as much. Anyway I've really enjoyed both episodes. Already this good and we're only a couple of episodes into the first season!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #18
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

Played it again, and reminded myself of another thing that bugged me about this installment.

Max's angry face, it isn't right. I mean, instead of giving him an eyebrow, it looks as if the front of his head concaves in, making him look almost like a nehanderthal version of himself.

SWB
Old 01-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #19
The Ultimate Insult

Has this not come out in England yet?

I havent seen it anywhere.

Currently playing; CSI Deadly Intent, Tales Of Monkey Island Ep 1
Recently finished;Secret Files Puritas Cordis, Prof Layton and Pandora's Box
Eagerly anticipating;Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe new world, Nearly Departed
Old 01-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #20
Super Moderator

It's not available in stores. You can purchase a download from Telltale's online store. A packaged version will be made available on their site after the full season's release.