You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The obligatory Sam & Max: Situation Comedy thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #21
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
And I wouldn't have minded seeing a few minor tweaks to the office, just to show a slight passage of time.
Did you open the closet door?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #22

I loved the internet-petition gag.

Thought there were maybe a few too many US-centric sitcom & actor name based in-jokes, which could cause a lot of the jokes to fall a bit flat outside of the USA or potentially cause this episode to show its age a bit in time.

Other than that though, top notch stuff again.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #23
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzHarald View Post
If I'm not mistaken the first episode is supposed to be a bit longer than the rest. I seem to recall Telltale saying as much. Anyway I've really enjoyed both episodes. Already this good and we're only a couple of episodes into the first season!
The reality is that it's hard to know how long an episode is going to be until people sit down and play a nearly done version. It's weird. Early on in production a lot of people thought episode 2 was might end up super short and feeling very empty, but it turned out to be only moderately shorter than 1 (or for some mysterious people, the same length or longer), and feel packed full of crazy things for Sam & Max to toy with.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 01-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #24
It's just me

I can't wait to play this, along with EP1, which I still haven't played!
Did most of you bought the whole season? Or individual episodes?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #25
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Has this not come out in England yet?

I havent seen it anywhere.
http://www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax

[/plug]

Old 01-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #26
Super Moderator

That was your 2000th post!

*throws confetti*
Old 01-08-2007, 02:49 AM   #27
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30 View Post
I loved the internet-petition gag.

Thought there were maybe a few too many US-centric sitcom & actor name based in-jokes, which could cause a lot of the jokes to fall a bit flat outside of the USA or potentially cause this episode to show its age a bit in time.
I just thought they were ficticious names?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:02 AM   #28
NHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune View Post
I just thought they were ficticious names?
I' m fairly sure that Keanu Reeves isn't a fictitious name
Old 01-08-2007, 05:18 AM   #29
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHJ View Post
I' m fairly sure that Keanu Reeves isn't a fictitious name
Who's Keanu Reeves?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:34 AM   #30
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30 View Post
On a related note, I couldn't shake the feeling that the verbal storms breaking between the characters were a bit more sophisticated than those of the previous episode, making the jokes in Situation: Comedy even more difficult to follow for the non-english speaking population. Smashing everything related to the American dream or the nation's way of life is part of the duo's job description, I know, as is the tendency to overcomplicate things during verbal communication. Still, I believe it could be turned down a bit without many cassualties on the joke department.

Just my two euro-cents.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by texallos View Post
On a related note, I couldn't shake the feeling that the verbal storms breaking between the characters were a bit more sophisticated than those of the previous episode, making the jokes in Situation: Comedy even more difficult to follow for the non-english speaking population. Smashing everything related to the American dream or the nation's way of life is part of the duo's job description, I know, as is the tendency to overcomplicate things during verbal communication. Still, I believe it could be turned down a bit without many cassualties on the joke department.

Just my two euro-cents.
I haven't finished episode 2 yet but i must say i felt the same. I didn't understand quite a few of the jokes because:
- english isn't my native language
- some jokes mention names and people i have never heard off which made me wonder if either i'm dumb, either those people are only famous in America or these people doesn't exist at all (which would be rather pointless).

This really is something Telltale should think about imo. Do they make a game for an American public or for the world to enjoy. I'm not familiar with the original cartoons so maybe they are actually staying true to the original but still.

I generally found the jokes in Episode 1 far more enjoyable.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #32
It's just me

Quote:
Very good point. Although I haven't played the game, I remember I felt exactly that while playing the original Sam & Max Hit the Road back in 1993. But, you know, Sam & Max is an American creation after all. And I'm guessing it's not just a matter of language, perhaps it's more related to culture in general. I mean, Americans would say the same about jokes in French movies being produced here in Quebec (where I live) or in France.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #33

I wonder why gamespot hasn't reviewed episode 2?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter View Post
- some jokes mention names and people i have never heard off which made me wonder if either i'm dumb, either those people are only famous in America or these people doesn't exist at all (which would be rather pointless).
There were a few like that for me, which is why I brought it up in the first place. Some I got, but only vaguely - I recall some awful 80s US sitcom with a (white) girl who played a robot. There was a line regarding the robot girl in the Cosby Show, which was a pretty funny melding of the two series' into one in Max's (or was it Sam's?) memory. But goodness, a lot of people around the world will have totally missed it.

Pop culture references are great, but maybe stick to the global classics as much as possible.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #35
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

just bought the season set, and downloaded/installed second episode.. Trying to find out if I'm going to start it tonight, or do the smarter thing; wait to tomorrow..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 01-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #36

I almost shot my drink out my nose on Bosco's "Pip pip, honey nut cherrio" response.

Just finished the 2nd episode also and don't see enough comments on the music...it has been really great. Good job Jared Emerson-Johnson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
the What Ho! Jolly Good! Bosco
Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #37
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HieroHero View Post
I wonder why gamespot hasn't reviewed episode 2?
They're going to. In general, I think the holidays delayed some of the reviews.

Regarding the US-centric celebrities... this is interesting feedback. One question that comes up a lot is whether these games will be localized. Humor can be very hard to translate, so localizing a game like this would require a lot of work to make sure the humor (and maybe even the references) carry over.

Then again - I am American and a pop culture junkie, and even I didn't understand some of the jokes.

My favorite reference in episode 2 is when Max says something about how he hasn't been so upset since they canceled My So-Called Life. This was a short-lived TV show about high school kids that happened to be on TV when I was in high school. I LOVED that show, and actually headed up letter-writing campaigns and petitions to try to prevent it from being canceled. (Didn't work.)

The line about the robotic girl in the Cosby Show is good too.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #38

I've had the "My So Called Life" theme song stuck in my head for two days now. DAMN YOU MAX!
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #39

my so called life was great..but I cant imagine Max watching it..unless he's a claire danes fan.. it just didn't make sense for max to say that for me..
Old 01-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #40
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Did you open the closet door?
Spoiler:
One hair piece isn't nearly enough for my tastes, I want more (at least some mold on Max's experiment). Of course, I'm glad we did get to see Max's Megatron (Walther P-38).

SWB

Last edited by Melanie68; 01-09-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: I added some spoiler tags. :)