You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best Mac Adventures?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #1

Default Best Mac Adventures?

Hi everyone. I've just completed Sam & Max (the original) on my Mac and am currently playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I've also recently played Day of the Tentacle. Aside from these great classic LucasArts games, any suggestions on other good adventures for the Mac? I'm aware of Myst and Riven, but am more of a fan of the humorous ones or 3rd person perspective ones. Your suggestions sure would be appreciated!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

I think you might have played them all.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Senior *female* member

All the LucasArts games... Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Loom, etcetera.

Humorous 3rd-person:

Discworld
Orion Burger
Feeble Files
Simon the Sorcerer
Zork Grand Inquisitor (1st-person)
The Space Bar (1st-person)

and

The Last Express
Spycraft
Bad Mojo
The Journeyman Project Series

I'm sure there are many more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneho Chane View Post
I think you might have played them all.
You didn't enjoy the Space Bar?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Mac adventure games... Spaceship Warlock?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

A bunch of Sierra games also came out for Mac, but unfortunately many of them don't run under Classic so it's hard (often impossible) to play them on today's machines.

Bad Mojo is a more recent one. And the first Law & Order, and some of the CSI games, but I don't know how good the ports are. Also Out from Boneville was ported recently.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #6

Also, for a quick fix, check out www.pinheadgames.com. These are short adventures designed in the classic Lucas Arts style, and are completely free! They should challenge and entertain you for a while!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:49 AM   #7

ScummVM allows lots old non-Mac games to work on the Mac, that's quite a lot of good ones. And all the old DOS games can be played using DOSBox.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #8

There is Inherit the Earth, republished by Wyrmkeep.
http://www.wyrmkeep.com/ite/
Old 01-03-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
Dungeon Master

Also check out this article. The described games aren't really very LucasArts-like in terms of gameplay (in fact I'd argue at least some of them qualify as puzzle games rather than adventure), but they are excellent... and freeware, so it can't hurt to try.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
XXJ

How about 'In Memoriam'?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Memoriam_(video_game)
Old 01-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #11
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
You didn't enjoy the Space Bar?
I was actually talking along the lines of ones that are reasonable to find. Obsidian, Amber: Journeys Beyond, and The Space Bar are great Mac games, but near to impossible to find. Curse of Monkey Island and Grim Fandango are the only Lucas Arts games not on Mac, which is a pretty huge lost. I did forget about The Last Express, I have that. Good game, though I got stuck pretty fast. I was not aware that In Memorium was a Mac game. There's link on apple.com to a freeware mac adventure game call Mysterious Island II that is fun for the first two hours or so until you beat. Other than that though, I don't really think there are any Mac games that are humorous and 3rd person. In fact, most of the ones mentioned are 1st person.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #12

Thanks everyone - that's useful info!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #13

I too am looking for more games for my Mac. One of my favorites (which I would LOVE to replay) is Traitors Gate. It's playable on OS 7.5 so obviously not viable on my MacBook Pro. I am sort of able to play it in Vista (via Parallels) but not the best quality.

There are so many great games out there that can only be played in classic and that won't be ported to OS X (because they're too old). Someone HAS to be working on it. It would be awesome if Parallels would allow you to install OS 9 (or earlier) as a virtual machine.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #14

Everything that works in ScummV!!!

But really, if you want to get into any kind of gaming, I'm afraid a Pc is what you need. Any chance of installing a double boot configuration? you might get the best from both worlds!

Shades of Violet: Song of the Clockwork Princess - Real soon!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #15

Total Distortion was also kinda an adventure game. So, yeah, also available for Mac.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #16

If you have an Intel based mac there are almost no games you can't play, apart from actual older Mac games (since classic mode doesn't work on Intel based Macs). I have an iMac on which I run XP through Bootcamp (free) and on XP I run Windows 98 through VirtualPC 2004 (free). And both Dosbox and ScummVM work on MacOSX and Windows XP/Vista.

Some newer Mac Games:

Jack Keane, The Path, Bad Mojo Redux and the Penumbra trilogy (with some action elements).

Some games I played on my old Mac with OS 7.5:

Myst/Riven, Gabriel Knight 2, Broken Sword 1, Lighthouse, Titanic: Adventure Out of Time, Morpheus, Phantasmagoria 1.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #17

Coladia is porting some PC games to OS X.
They seem to only be available via download though.
http://www.coladia.com/index.php
Old 05-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #18
overall swell guy

The latest Fusion Virtual Machine Ware (which is not for free) seems to be working for me. But you'll need a virtual image of a Windows machine which shouldn't be too hard to get
Has the advantage that you don't need a Windows partition and can switch between Mac and Windows using 'Spaces' with no time lag at all.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #19
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

Well since this thread is alive again I should mention that Telltale is now getting serious about Mac support. Tales of Monkey Island and The Devil's Playhouse are available for Mac, the other Sam & Max episodes are being ported and the rest of the catalog should follow eventually.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #20
overall swell guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald B View Post
Well since this thread is alive again I should mention that Telltale is now getting serious about Mac support. Tales of Monkey Island and The Devil's Playhouse are available for Mac, the other Sam & Max episodes are being ported and the rest of the catalog should follow eventually.
Are you talking about the classic MIs or the remakes? This sure sounds good in any case, but I think I'd rather play the classics again.

But as I said before. It doesn't really matter when you get a VMware. Other than supporting those Mac versions by buying them to show there's honest and massive interest in these things.
(I changed to Mac one year ago while I was living in California and didn't regret it for one second. Although I never used Win7 I think the future belongs to Mac. So this is good news all around).