You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure CSI: Hard Evidence announced

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
Psychonaut

Default CSI: Hard Evidence announced

Oh Joy another CSI, Law & Order style game.

Just what we need.

*snore*

I know it's from Telltale, but is anyone else bored silly with the CSI game template.

They were never that great to start with.

P.s i'm in a grumpy mood
Old 12-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #2

*shrug*

I never played a Law and Order game and the only CSI game I played was the latest one by Telltale. I'm looking forward to this.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Psychonaut

Problem with these games is that, like episodes of the TV show, they are all the same. Cloned at birth. You can watch any of the CSI episodes in any order and pick up what is going on without needing a giant storyline catchup.

There is no real overall story just individual cases so you never get the feeling of involvement, The characters from the show just stand or sit there and don't do much unless asked a question and then info dump so you never get to know them or give a hoot anyway. They are just window dressing.

There is no challange to the games. They are dead easy.

I'm sure it's probably handed down from the TV people that they need to stick to a set formula. The one that keeps selling the game even though it always gets middle of the road boring reviews. The one that sells the game just because it has CSI on the title so why bother trying something new or innovative.

So I don't blame Telltale who are making it because it pays the bills and i'm sure will try to make the script intersting to cover up the inadequces in the gamplay.

I'd rather they made another Bone game though.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Super Moderator

If they did one that was focused on the morgue and post mortems, that would be cool. Well it would be for me...
Old 12-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I love the CSI games - there doesn't need to be a complicated plot to them because the whole point is solving murders!
And, anyone who says they are too easy is obviously using a walkthrough

They have reasonable voice acting, cool sequences involving flashbacks and medical procedures, and whilst they may not be long or memorable games, they are a pretty cool distraction from some of the more serious games out there
Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

I've played CSI Dimensions of Murder demo and I found it very boring. It's like to be working instead of playing. Very weird feeling. :p
Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
Lovable rogue

I was given the second CSI game as a gift, it was okay, but not something I'd pay for.

The games lack any semblance of atmosphere. One thing I really disliked about the gameplay, was that I didn't feel like I was actually doing anything. All I had to do was click around a little bit and the game practically unfolded itself.

I don't think we need any more games of this type, unless they find a way to radically overhaul them.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Last edited by Jatsie; 12-15-2006 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #8

I play them, only to curb my cravings - for however brief/disappointing a moment - for a new adventure game.

Something else to add to their list of mediocrity is that every single sodding character talks in the same way. Everyone, young or old, talks in shorthand, or use phrases that sound cool, but add little in the way of real character development.

Noone says, "I left at 6:00", instead they say "I bailed round 6:00". I've never met anyone who 'bailed' in their life! I wouldn't mind if there was variety, but there's never any real characters, just endless facsimiles.

I appreciate it’s a fairly specific complaint...
Old 12-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

For some reason I have a good feeling about this game. I'll definatly keep my eye on this one, Telltale are getting better with their games.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

If anyone in the San Francisco area is interested, Telltale's going to have a focus group for the new CSI game on Saturday. Send me a PM if you'd like to participate.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 PM   #11
Psychonaut

Does it involve bumping off Dasilva and then trying to solve the crime?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:02 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Does it involve bumping off Dasilva and then trying to solve the crime?
Are you trying to get his Wii fund?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #13
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I hope this game is a bit more like the series with having some sort of back story going on with the characters instead of just focusing on the murder.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:23 AM   #14
Slim Shady

CSI games suck.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #15
Woodchuck

I never played the first CSI game.

I played CSI Dark Motives and I enjoyed it. Then I played the CSI Miami game and was less enthusiastic about it. Then I played 3 Dimensions of Murder and gave up in the second case. Not only was it just too easy, it was boring as hell with long and I mean LONG tedious dialogues. It was all predictable and not in the least challenging.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #16
Ronin

I played one of the Law & Order demos, and I really don't get it. Seems like all you do is scavenge a crime scene (i.e. pixel-hunt), then interview witnesses and suspects (i.e. exhaust dialog). These are the worst gameplay elements of the adventure genre.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:20 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
I played one of the Law & Order demos, and I really don't get it. Seems like all you do is scavenge a crime scene (i.e. pixel-hunt), then interview witnesses and suspects (i.e. exhaust dialog). These are the worst gameplay elements of the adventure genre.
That kind of work is meticulous in real life too. Not every piece of evidence in a real crime scene is going to stand out. If that kind of thing rocks your socks, the L&O and CSI games are great fun. If not, then you try something else.

And that's why demos are good, you didn't spend money on a game that isn't your style.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:30 PM   #18
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
That kind of work is meticulous in real life too. Not every piece of evidence in a real crime scene is going to stand out.
The thing is, in real life you don't know what you're going to find - if anything. In the CSI games you know if you click around enough all the clues you need are going to be there. That removes any challenge and leaves the game feeling empty, for me at least.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 12-16-2006, 12:47 AM   #19
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm basing this only on the pre-Telltale CSI games, but anyway...

I think that's the real point. Investigating a real crime requires thought (one would presume), whereas playing a CSI game requires you to click on every available hotspot. It's not about thinking about where one would search (unless you turn off the smart cursor, at which point the game becomes stupidly hard because the hotspots aren't always well placed).

I'm sure that there's so much more that could be done with this format.

(Note that this isn't meant as a criticism of Telltale; I have no idea how much control, if any, they have over the format.)

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
CSI games suck.
word dude...
soooo booring games, no good story etc...

Don't buy this....