You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #61
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictimOfScience View Post
Yeah, Phoenix Wright is as innovative to me as the DS itself--A genre-redefining title imho.

As for the scumvm on DS, I use the NinjaDS Sticky and it works great--the only problem I am having is with the saves, but I think that is an issue with using an SD card. I'll have to look at the drunkencoders page again to clear it up...or maybe the scumvm forums, but it plays like a dream even if I start from scratch each time!
I was shocked to realize that there were 3 Phoenix Wright games released in Japan on the GBA prior to Phoenix Wright on the DS. The series is known there as Gyakuten Saiban (games are called Gyakuten Saiban 1,2,3 respectively), and they are only in Japan. Wish I knew how to speak Japanese

Concerning NinjaDS sticky, that was the one I had my eye on, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the web. They were all sold out. Any idea where you can get one of those?

Firefox rules
Old 01-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I've never gotten the impression it's overlooked (here at AG at least). We've had numerous threads on DS Adventures and Phoenix Wright and reviews on DS Adventure games. It's definitely on the radar (as well it should be).
I wasn't specifically speaking about this website (and neither, for example, Just Adventure+), as it has featured previews and reviews of several non-PC games, and Phoenix Wright is even on the Hype-o-Meter. I was just speaking about part of the "adventure" community in general that doesn't seem to acknowledge non-PC adventure games as valid entries in the genre.
It's easy to see adventure games as a genre has seen better days, so I don't understand how some games like Phoenix Wright, with an incredibly good script, great characters and a catchy soundtrack, get mostly ignored just because they're not PC games. It just seems silly. Yes the PC was and still is the main platform for the genre, but quite frankly I must say I think several of the DS adventure games I own are far superior to what I played on PC during this decade.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funktion View Post
I wasn't specifically speaking about this website (and neither, for example, Just Adventure+), as it has featured previews and reviews of several non-PC games, and Phoenix Wright is even on the Hype-o-Meter. I was just speaking about part of the "adventure" community in general that doesn't seem to acknowledge non-PC adventure games as valid entries in the genre.
It's easy to see adventure games as a genre has seen better days, so I don't understand how some games like Phoenix Wright, with an incredibly good script, great characters and a catchy soundtrack, get mostly ignored just because they're not PC games. It just seems silly. Yes the PC was and still is the main platform for the genre, but quite frankly I must say I think several of the DS adventure games I own are far superior to what I played on PC during this decade.
good point! I think the ds may actually see the revival of adventure games.. Companies are realising you have to make specific games for the ds, you cant just port over the latest xbox/playstation game.. if games like phoenix wright do well.. game companies will start to make more like it!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
I was shocked to realize that there were 3 Phoenix Wright games released in Japan on the GBA prior to Phoenix Wright on the DS. The series is known there as Gyakuten Saiban (games are called Gyakuten Saiban 1,2,3 respectively), and they are only in Japan. Wish I knew how to speak Japanese
There's no need to learn Japanese ... for the first two at least. The first Phoenix Wright for the DS was a remake of GS 1, with an extra case thrown in for good measure. Then the soon to be released Phoenix Wright: AA Justice For All is a remake of GS 2. Still waiting to find out if GS 3 will be remade for the DS ... my guess is, that if Justice For All does well, Capcom will go ahead with it.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #65

Quote:
Just FYI for anyone who speaks Chinese out there: these 3 games have also been translated to Chinese, and the translated versions can be run on gba emulators and flashcarts/etc. They may have also been fan-translated into some other languages.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #66

Finished "Trace Memory" - as good as I'd ever want a game on the DS - amazing!

I'm playing Phonex Wright as we speak - great game also!

I'm buying Part 2 as soon as it is released!

Old 01-15-2007, 02:23 AM   #67

Quote:
Phoenix Wright 2 is on the DS in Japan right now, and has an english translation. It's also coming out in America in... oh, about 24 hours now.

So yeah, if you're starved for more Phoenix after beating the first game you'll have another dose tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:55 AM   #68
Baddest Badguy Ever

Quote:
By the way, for all of you who have tried to run scummvm as homebrew on your DS, any idea what is the easiest to use flash memory card?
I have an M3 Movie player for the DS (SD card version). In the M3 I have a 1GB ATA High Speed SD card. I have read not all SD cards work well (i.e are not recognized or cannot save games) but mine loaded up all the Scumm games on the first try and has been working great since Christmas, so I guess that is pretty easy

Using the DS to play the old Lucas adventures is a perfect match. The touch screen is as easy to use as a mouse. I only bought the DS because of ScummVM and I have not even bought or played a 'real' DS game yet. Thanks to this thread however, I will definitely be buying some DS adventures.

When I was a kid I whipped through the non-talkie version of Sam & Max Hit the Road with a walkthrough at my side. That was dumb, but as a consequence, I cannot remember that game at all. I bought the talkie version off of eBay and I have been playing it on the DS before getting to the new episodic adventures.

After that I have Indy and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, and MI1&2 all on deck. I love the DS!

Cheers,
Stain
Old 01-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stain View Post
I only bought the DS because of ScummVM and I have not even bought or played a 'real' DS game yet. Thanks to this thread however, I will definitely be buying some DS adventures.
You won't be disappointed. In my opinion Phoenix Wright is the best comedic adventure series since the heyday of LucasArts.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:41 PM   #70

DS gaming is like the golden age all over again - adventure games sell well on the DS, get great reviews AND they release lots of them!

I still play PC adventure games - but all people do on that platform is complain about poor quality, how bad all the games are today, how the genre is poorly supported now, etc. etc.

The DS is a much more positive experience!

This year I'm buying 2 PC adventures and 8 DS adventures!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:17 AM   #71

I think it's because DS adventure developers are attempting to appeal to gamers, rather than to adventure game fans. They're trying harder because they have to... the DS doesn't have a pre-built adventure game fanbase, and most of the people buying the games don't have nice fuzzy memories of Loom or Myst. The games have to live or die entirely on their own merits so you can tell there's an attempt to entertain everyone, rather than the games being "for the fans."

It's the mentality that made the genre so vital at one time, and it's the mentality that's resulted in Phoenix Wright selling out of every reprint it gets and Hotel Dusk getting an incredibly high score from a widely read Ziff-Davis publication. The lack of complacency makes the genre feel reinvigorated on the DS, and I hope it spreads to more PC devs as well.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #72

http://www.hoteldusk.com/

The American Hotel Dusk site is up. Not a ton of info, but enough to make me want the game even more.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #73

The PC and WII may benefit from DS success.

With all these DS adventure games doing well - we may see more adventures releases across the board!

Phoenex Wright is a great game - I'm having a blast playing!

Old 01-17-2007, 12:04 AM   #74

The DS is like the thinking mans game system.. games like brain training/brain age sell millions worldwide.. suddenly adventures are a viable option again(atleast for this system) because people want to think and they want a challenge..something that adventure games do well
Old 01-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #75

Just got "And Justice for All" - it's as good as the first one:

I got the cool bonus toy as well - worth $29.95 easy!

The reviews are good on this one also!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:25 PM   #76
XXJ

Default Hotel Dusk: Room 215

english site
http://hoteldusk.com/
japanese site
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/awij/index.html
cm
http://touch-ds.jp/mediagallery/st59.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2W28VV1rJ0
gameplay
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/8578
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/8577
http://gonintendo.com/?p=11824

Last edited by XXJ; 01-18-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:02 AM   #77
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Japanese are so lucky

Gyakuten Saiban 4 Collector's edition only for Japan's market.

"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #78
XXJ

(NDS)Gyakuten Saiban 4
japanese site
http://www.capcom.co.jp/saiban4/index.html

Release Date Apr 12,2007 in japan
Gyakuten Saiban 4 Collector's edition 9,240yen with tax
Gyakuten Saiban 4 normal edition 5,040yen with tax

Limited edition include
1 Gyakuten Saiban dictionary
2 Gyakuten Saiban DVD(promotion video etc...)
precede purchaser privilege → odoroki headphone
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/...119/saiban.htm
if you want to get this Limited edition...
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...B-70-1t87.html

This is too expensive ! OBJECTION

Last edited by XXJ; 01-21-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #80

It would be fantastic if Gyakuten Saiban 4 had an english translation like the other DS entries, but I doubt it.

And yes, I'm enough of a sucker to buy that collector's edition.