You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Where's Sam & Max? (and impressions)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #61

I'm glad everyone else is enjoying the game as much as I did! I tried out the "free gametap subscription" to play the game two weeks ago, and I'm sticking with the subscription a little for their other adventure games. I just finished Zork Grand Inquisitor, and next on the list are The Last Express, Beyond Atlantis and, of course, Sam and Max Episode 2.

But yeah, I was quite suprised that Sam and Max turned out so good... until I learned that many ex-Lucasarts employees worked on it, including the writer of Day of the Tentacle. Suddenly, I'm not so surprised at the fact that this game looks and feels just like a bran new point-and-click Lucasarts game.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:09 AM   #62
Thats the ticket

Can someone answer if Sam and Max is a widescreen game?

I just bought one of these babies and well, it just better be ok.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #63

No, the resolution offered all use a 4:3 aspect ratio, so you'll get black bands on the sides.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-03-2006, 01:17 AM   #64
Schättenjager

Just finished trial(in 5 min)best adv.of 06 so far,so fresh btw how many more locations in epi.1 after leave the office?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:29 AM   #65
marsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Just finished trial(in 5 min)best adv.of 06 so far,so fresh btw how many more locations in epi.1 after leave the office?
I think there's five.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:37 AM   #66
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

And don't worry, there's still loads to do in the office still.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:30 AM   #67
Helooooo Bessie!

Send a message via MSN to dave_minall

i thought the game was amazing.

kinda brought back sentimental value, been as i was 6 when i completed the first sam and max

i loved every second of it, and quite a few moments i found myself laughing out loud, especially the way sam whacks max up in the air when he gets in the way

actually, i loved the way bosco would say hello through the p.a. of the shop too

i really cant wait for the next one, and hopefully a mac port too

(running my copy in XP through my mac, speedy as hell)
Pirate: A beard?!?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:35 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Yeah, it's the sound compression. Bothers some people more than others. I don't even notice it but I know it annoys some people a lot.
Yeah I'm not a fan of the compression either.

My only real complaint is it was way too easy!

Aside from that it was the funnest and coolest AG for ages.

(And I suppose I'd like widescreen resolutions too, as my monitor can only squash, not even letterbox )
Old 11-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #69
Schättenjager

I hardly heard any music during game and lack of background music must be
fix asap.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #70
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

The demo was great fun, good job TellTale!

I'll be buying the whole season 1 when I get some money in December, I hope that the preorder deal for the season 1 and the packaged version stays available until I can order the whole deal.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #71
Psychonaut

I have to say I loved every minute of it.

The dialogue is hilarious. The interplay between Sam and Max is great (Esp when he smacks him into the air --Wheeeeeeee!).

Ok so the puzzles are not hugely taxing, but they are never short of fun. The driving mini game is ok, but not overly diverting.

I think it fits the episodic format very well. It'll be good to see how they connect each case in the overall arc, but for $9 it's a bargain.

Sure you can blow through it in 2-3 hours if you don't stop to look around and check all the dialogue etc, but what is the point of that. Stay a while revel in the atmosphere and laugh your socks off.

I'm sure I was probably way longer than 3 hours.

The funniest adventure game of the decade.

P.s Good to see some familiar names in the credits as well.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #72
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
The interplay between Sam and Max is great (Esp when he smacks him into the air --Wheeeeeeee!).
I so agree with you. The first time I saw that, I busted out laughing. I loved it! I kept trying to get it to happen again.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #73
capsized.

Sigh. It's been so long since I turned my last kitty inside out. This would make a great birthday present from me to my own self, I just hope I can sort my PayPal issues out (hi, fov ).

Oh, and the discussions on the Telltale forums are intriguing.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #74
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I so agree with you. The first time I saw that, I busted out laughing. I loved it! I kept trying to get it to happen again.
I quite liked it the first five times, but began to get a bit sick of him doing that every time I walked across the room and happened to pass Max.

A minor point, though .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #75
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor View Post
Woooha, just finished the demo. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant! If the demo is anything to judge by, then i'm sold.

Tell me about that, I had a tear in my eye and I've never been a truly hardcore fan of "Hit the road". However, I still haven't finished the demo. This is because the games keeps crashing. Or better said, it freezes my entire system after a couple of minutes in at the latest. I can't do anything but to tap the reset button . alt+tab, ctr+alt+del, etc,.. nothing works anymore. I hope this is caused by software incompabilities (a driver issue maybe), and not the hardware...

Only criticism, really: A slightly more dynamic music system (like the good old iMuse) would have probably even enhanced the punch of the jokes. And WTF is that warp speed option? Never since Curse Of Monkey Island have I seen options this intriguingly obscure.

edit: Nope, changing the driver for my video card didn't help. Neither did fiddling around with dxdiag and its audio settings. My board's already 5 years old, and the drivers I have installed are the only ones that exist for its onboard chip. Anybody having the same problem? The game/system freezing completely after a random amount of play time?

Last edited by samIamsad; 11-03-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #76
Squeaky

That was great, and I'm definitely happy with my decision to pay for the whole six episodes up front. Great humour, creative puzzles (if a teensy bit easy), and good characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
It'll be good to see how they connect each case in the overall arc.
Agreed - I'll be interested to see how that pans out. It's also a little sad that the episodic distribution doesn't really allow for any sprawling puzzles (unless the other 5 episodes aren't going to be as self-contained as the first), but who really cares when it's this much fun?

It's been a long time since I've played an adventure game that I'd actually call fun. Seems the drought has been broken.

"Make it out to Squinky". Heh heh
Old 11-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #77

Best adventure I played in a while. Brilliant and funny game, can't wait for the next episode. Wheeeeee

PS: Maybe they should add more spice to the soundtrack for the next episode.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #78

Best adventure game I've played all year. Had me laughing out loud many times. My only gripe is that the transitions between scenes were a little slow, and the sound went a bit 'choppy' at times. Although, the playability and puzzles of the game far outweighed the bad points. I thought the re-use of locations, especially the office, was ingenious. Really enjoyed the hypnosis session.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #79
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've finally finished it (shows how little game-playing time I get).

That was great. I can't wait for the next episode (well, I can, and I have to, but you get my point).

Telltale should be proud.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #80

Just finished Sam & Max - for the second time! I noticed a couple of things were different the second time around. The graffiti that Sam sprays over Specs' graffiti was different. Also, the psycho-therapy that Sam underwent the second time round was different.

It gives added gameplay to the game even if you've finished it once. That is what makes Sam & Max so playable, and what makes each episode worth the £3.60 it costs. Much better value than buying a cinema ticket on a Saturday night.

I think I'll play it a thrid time, tomorrow night... heck, I'll play it as many times as it takes to exhaust all the different possibilties in the game!

Anyone else noticed any different 'things' from playing it more than once?