You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Happy Halloween! What is your scariest adventure moment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #21
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Shivers, the first one. When you're walking up the clocktower stairs. I had to get a phone call, when I sat back down to play, I saw a shadow move along the stone wall of the clock tower, and I actually TURNED AROUND at my desk,lol. Very freaky!
Old 10-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post
Pandora Directive will always have the scariest game moment in it for me: the Area 51 sequence. Getting stalked by an alien entity you cannot see, but Tex can "feel" every once and a while, telling you that the "hairs on the back of his neck have just stood up" every once and a while. Eeee!
That level still gives me the creeps.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:26 PM   #23

Monkey Island, After exploring the island for hours, I discovered (and then promptly) fell off the cliff. Before Guybrush used the rubber tree to bounce back up, I had a brief moment where I thought, "Oh Crap, I haven't saved for HOURS!". hehe
Old 10-31-2006, 05:31 PM   #24
Codger

Shivers 1, when you go up the stairs after crossing the tar pits. First time you do this, glowing orange eyes jump out at you just before you enter the lobby. Scared the begeezus out of me.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Shivers 1, when you go up the stairs after crossing the tar pits. First time you do this, glowing orange eyes jump out at you just before you enter the lobby. Scared the begeezus out of me.
Oh yeah. You know that's a random occurence in the game. Sometimes it's there, sometime's it's not. It's the same with the shadow in the clock tower. Sometimes you can spot the moving shadow, other times, it doesn't happen. Makes the whole atmosphere even freakier.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:41 PM   #26
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

I second the Riven little girl moment. I've seen it multiple times and it always gives me the creeps. The first time I saw it I shot back in my chair. Another time I was playing the game with my friend and we had done a number of puzzles in a very abnormal sequence, so I wasn't expecting her to pop up as early as she did. I laughed when I saw my friend. He was completely frozen and after it was over he yelled, "I DID NOT LIKE THAT!" lol.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:36 PM   #27
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
But the scariest moment has to go to my first jump out of the seat experience - in Zork Nemesis when you hear the Nemesis' voice for the first time.
In my case, that wasn't a scare as such - more of a strangely pleasant chill.

Oddly scary for no real reason was one of the ends in Myst III: Exile:

Spoiler:
When you stupidly open the inner, rather than the outer shield, and see Saavedro starting to make his way up to where you are, looking rather angry. Whilst that axe/hammer/whatever always looked fairly plastic and light-weight, it still got the point across. My response, making that mistake: "OH! Shit, shit, shit!". Linking to Tomahna, of course, is not exactly 'a way out', either. Priceless.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 10-31-2006, 08:26 PM   #28
Protector of the Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post
Pandora Directive will always have the scariest game moment in it for me: the Area 51 sequence. Getting stalked by an alien entity you cannot see, but Tex can "feel" every once and a while, telling you that the "hairs on the back of his neck have just stood up" every once and a while. Eeee!
That's number one for me. I'm not sure if it's the same in the game, but here's what Tex says in the Pandora book after escaping... does a good job of putting the threat into perspective:

"I want you to go lock that vault door, destroy the key, and then put the complex into a deep freeze. And if anyone ever comes here again, I don't care who it is, I don't care if it's the damn president, and they want to go underground, you have orders direct from the NSA to blow their stupid brains out. Got it?"

Other than that, Gabriel going outside with a shovel in the middle of the night in GK3 was good too, thanks in large part to the music during that sequence. I had no idea what he was going to dig up and that made it quite suspenseful.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:41 AM   #29

Send a message via MSN to Mayboy

The game for me is the Last Half Of Darkness a very old DOS game from 1991. Although the game in itself isn't that advanced by todays standards, it definately is up there with the most frightening games of all time for me.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:51 AM   #30

The shadow in the clock tower in Shivers made me jump, and not just the first time I saw it either! Same with the shadow in the film library. I *knew* about the eyes in the passage from an Easter egg list, but they still got me.

For overall hair-on-the-back-of-the-neck creepiness, it's got to be Harvest of Souls (Shivers 2), the whole first bit where you're wandering around the town and it slowly sinks in that the place is completely abandoned... and THEN you realise that there's somebody else going around behind your back, moving things.

That was especially good because I made a point of playing it in the dark...

I can't remember any particular "make you jump" moments in The 11th Hour, but the storyline as a whole counts as scary. I played that one in the dark, too.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:43 AM   #31
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Don't think you can call the first Alone in the Dark game an adventure game, but imho it's one of the scariest "adventure" games I've played.

The music and sound effects are responsible for the creepy atmosphere in the game. After the excellent intro you start in the attic. Then the creepy monster tune starts playing. Before you now it, a monster crashes through the window, you hear something banging on the trapdoor...

That first sequence had me on the edge of my seat...
Old 11-01-2006, 08:35 AM   #32
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
Don't think you can call the first Alone in the Dark game an adventure game, but imho it's one of the scariest "adventure" games I've played.

The music and sound effects are responsible for the creepy atmosphere in the game. After the excellent intro you start in the attic. Then the creepy monster tune starts playing. Before you now it, a monster crashes through the window, you hear something banging on the trapdoor...

That first sequence had me on the edge of my seat...
Yeah that game definitely creeped me out and what made it worse was it was one of the first games that I played using my new soundblaster card. I played the game with my cousins and we all screamed collectively when that first monster crashed through the window.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:20 AM   #33
Easily amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayboy View Post
The game for me is the Last Half Of Darkness a very old DOS game from 1991. Although the game in itself isn't that advanced by todays standards, it definately is up there with the most frightening games of all time for me.
This game has been updated and rereleased. I played it this year and quite enjoyed it.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #34

For me the scariest moment was while playing Shivers and in one room if conditions are just right, a shadow moves across the screen as one of the Ixupi shifts its position. It was so unexpected and I was so into the game, it really scared the dickens out of me.
- First Indie Adventure Game
To Use A.I. Randomizer Technology,
- 7 years in the making!!!

Released Dec 16, 2006 !!! Order yours now at:
http://www.Sagewood-Software.ca
Old 11-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #35
Lost.

There was a lot of moments in the 7th Guest that spooked me. I remember a ghost lady always beckoning me the wrong way in a maze, something happening in a bathroom and a kitchen, a lady getting killed or absorbed or something in a red room... something like that. Then again, I was also pretty young when I played this.

A AG that I have yet to play that seems pretty frightening would be Clock Tower for the SNES. Seems freaky.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #36

My scariest moment by far is in Laura Bow: The Colonel's Bequest. I was playing with my Mom and my sister, and we accidentally walked off the edge of a platform in one of the secret passages, which we'd done several times before and had no ill effects. This time, a hand reached out, grabbed Laura around the neck and dragged her away. We all screamed.

15 years later, that game STILL makes me tense up when I play it. There is absolutely no indication when you're going to die. Gah.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #37

Sanitarium. One of the first acts, when you find those children... and the cemetery... and the school
Old 11-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #38
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

During the closing scenes of Monkey Island 1, when I had the volume turned up really high. I walked into Melee village and the church music started unexpectedly.

Shite myself, I did.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #39
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie_pussycat View Post
Oh yeah. You know that's a random occurence in the game.
Not sure that is entirely accurate. Most, if not all the "scary" events occur the first time you do the sequence, and cannot be repeated. I.e., you can go up those stairs ten more times and will not see the "eyes" after the first time. That doesn't make the first event any less scary.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:54 AM   #40

Another vote for Scratches boiler sequence, I jumped out of my skin and I'm the kind of person who pretty much never gets even slightly scared or freaked out. Great moment!

Saniturium has it's moments too, but that was more creepy than scary.