You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday - Oct 30 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 03:22 AM   #1
Shady AGP

Send a message via AIM to Wreck
Default Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday - Oct 30 2006

Not only did this game make me fall in love with adventure games when I was young, but the character's name in relation to even Monkey Island later was funny. What is great is that both of these games came from Lucasarts in 1990, one from Ron Gilbert and the other from Brian Moriarty. Bobbin's last name? Threadbare. Guybrush's last night? Threapwood. I wonder if they picked these out over dinner?
www.josephgoss.com
Old 10-30-2006, 03:24 AM   #2
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Loom is great. Very easy, and perhaps a bit of a gimmick, but it's done so well .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:49 AM   #3
Dr Uberman

Very good game.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:10 AM   #4
Retired Buccaneer

This game really deserved to have the FM-TOWNS version released on CD in the West as opposed to the condensed Reader's Digest CD version with voice acting and missing music that we did get. Still, a great choice for a Scene of the Day.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:26 AM   #5
Master of time and space

I also think this is a great game, but I wouldn't want to pay more than MAX €10 for it. It's somewhat short...
Old 10-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
Grah! Grah!

The thing that's always kept me from acquiring and playing this game is the amount of different versions of it, each with differing advantages. There doesn't seem to be a particular definitive release of it. Which would you people recommend for a first playthrough?
Old 10-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface View Post
The thing that's always kept me from acquiring and playing this game is the amount of different versions of it, each with differing advantages. There doesn't seem to be a particular definitive release of it. Which would you people recommend for a first playthrough?
Personally I'd recommend starting with the original EGA PC version and working up from there. In plain terms, it's much closer to Brian Moriarty's vision for the game than the PC CD release is.

The original 16-color version has really detailed dialogue which does a lot in setting up the atmosphere of the game. Plus it has lots of long music tracks, which IMHO are also critical in creating the "feel" Loom is meant to have.

(Of course if you can find the FM TOWNS version, which is basically the EGA version with VGA graphics and full-length CD music tracks instead of MIDI, more power to you. But it's much easier to find the original EGA release.)

The CD version has pretty VGA graphics (a bit better than the FM TOWNS ones, I'll admit) and very talented voice acting with an all-British cast. But the price is that the dialogue is horribly cut and compressed (rewritten by Orson Scott Card, mind you, not Moriarty), large chunks of cutscenes (including a bunch of close-up character portraits) are cut out, and the music (which is so central to the game's atmosphere) is almost nonexistent.

In short, the PC CD is really a greatly inferior watered-down copy of the original game experience.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

Well i only ever played the old AMIGA versiona and it was fantastic, maybe if you've got an old AMIGA laying around hehe...

seriously though... i LOVED this game but i did play it AFTER monkey island so the Bobbin name dropping in Monkey island was lost on me until the 2nd time i played monkey.

kk, have fun.. hope you get to play it its such a fun game who cares if its easy and short you'll love how its played and the storyline.

GoT
Old 11-01-2006, 04:28 AM   #9
Grah! Grah!

Thanks ATMachine, that's exactly the kind of detail I was looking for. Seems like the EGA release is my best bet.