You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Myst, Aura, Sentinel, Schizm etc.

View Poll Results: Most fun "Myst"-clone (including Myst ;-))
Myst 3 5.08%
Riven 20 33.90%
Exile 4 6.78%
Revelation 7 11.86%
End of Ages 2 3.39%
Sentinel 2 3.39%
Aura - Fate of the Ages 3 5.08%
Voyage 8 13.56%
Mysterious Journey 0 0%
Post Mortem 1 1.69%
Lighthouse 0 0%
Amerzone 0 0%
Blackstone Chronicles 3 5.08%
Amber 0 0%
Other 6 10.17%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 01:10 AM   #21
Evil Webmaster

I went with Riven too, even though Blackstone CHronicles was really really great, nice gripping story and fresh puzzles.
So there you go
Old 09-13-2006, 04:29 AM   #22
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I just don't like Myst-like games. Many people seem to like them, but I don't. I surely don't consider them to be fun in anyway.

The only games that I've played from that genre are Lighthouse and 11th hour.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
The only games that I've played from that genre are Lighthouse and 11th hour.
Which may explain why you don't like them. You ought to give a chance to the good ones one day.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 09-13-2006, 05:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Hm... I don't see how Voyage, Blackstone Chronicles and Post Mortem could be classified as Myst-clones at all. I'm not too sure about Amber and Amerzone, either.
I think Voyage fits the category rather nicely. Post Mortem and The Blackstone Chronicles however I agree, don't really see them as Myst-clones. Might fit the list better: Rama, Timelapse, Zork: Nemesis, Reah, etc.

But anyway, from this list I'd pick Voyage. I'm currently playing it and enjoying it tremendously! What a wonderful game! Much better than any of the Myst games really which, from the ones I played, I never really liked that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe

Which may explain why you don't like them. You ought to give a chance to the good ones one day.

Really? Must say I actually liked Lighthouse. Gotta agree on 11th Hour though, that was pretty crappy. The 7th Guest then again was ok, but Shivers did a much better job in the haunted-house-filled-with-puzzles department.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:31 AM   #25
Evil Webmaster

Quote:
Hehe, agree with you on that!
So there you go
Old 09-13-2006, 06:43 AM   #26
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimli
I think Voyage fits the category rather nicely.
I think the emphasis on the inventory is far too great for it to be considered a Myst-clone.

(But whatever it is, I agree with you that it's a wonderful game. )
Old 09-13-2006, 07:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I think the emphasis on the inventory is far too great for it to be considered a Myst-clone.

(But whatever it is, I agree with you that it's a wonderful game. )
Ah, that's true, didn't really think of that part. Must have been too long since I played a real Myst-clone.

The lonely world, emphasis on (and fun of) exploring a strange world, some mechanical, code and symbol puzzles, 1st person perspective, etc, was what made me consider it as a Myst-like game. Doesn't really matter idd, enjoying every minute of this game!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:27 AM   #28

Voyage looks and sounds great. I gather it's inspired by a classic. For some reason, I've never wanted to buy a game that is a take-off on a well-known book or movie. I guess that is one of the many reasons I love Riven ... it's so uniquely original.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 09-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #29
Super Moderator

Voyage (and Return to Mysterious Island by the same company) were inspired by Jules Verne stories but they don't follow the stories faithfully. I haven't read either but I really enjoyed both games.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #30
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Voyage (and Return to Mysterious Island by the same company) were inspired by Jules Verne stories but they don't follow the stories faithfully. I haven't read either but I really enjoyed both games.
Mysterious Journey (in the poll) should of course be Return to Mysterious Island

I realize that my definition of Myst-clone is far more loose than everyone elses. To me a Myst clone is basically a first person point and click adventure with puzzles here and there.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #31
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG
Mysterious Journey (in the poll) should of course be Return to Mysterious Island

I realize that my definition of Myst-clone is far more loose than everyone elses. To me a Myst clone is basically a first person point and click adventure with puzzles here and there.
Myst-clones imo shouldn't have any inventory and Return to Mysterious Island is the most inventory heavy game I've ever seen.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #32
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Yeah, when I think Myst-clone, I consider it a game with a puzzle-filled, character-empty world. Not a lot of world/character interactivity, but pretty to look at. And a story that is secondary to the puzzles, if any real story development at all. The only "Myst-Style" games I liked were the 2 Shivers games and Zork: Nemesis, although those settings never felt as devoid of life as Myst did. I don't know, I just never enjoyed puzzles as much as plot development, and so many of this type of game end up being verrrrry puzzle-dependent.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #33
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
Myst-clones imo shouldn't have any inventory and Return to Mysterious Island is the most inventory heavy game I've ever seen.
Yes, I'd say Mysterious Journey (aka Schizm) should stay as a poll option, even if MdaG originally meant RtMI.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #34
Super Moderator

Therein lies the problem with generalizing as 1st person vs. 3rd person. To some, if they hear first person game, they automatically think of Myst when there are a wide variety of first person games with varying degrees of character interaction, story, puzzle types, etc.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #35
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
I don't really want to give those games a chance, because I really, really don't like the Myst™ puzzles and gameplay, sorry.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #36

then why are you even in this thread posting? the poll mentions "most fun".
Old 09-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #37
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordalles
then why are you even in this thread posting? the poll mentions "most fun".
...and the thread starter asks "What did you think about them?". Come on, Kolzig said nothing in the least inflammatory, and was clearly just presenting his own opinion.

In fact, for a thread that has "Myst" in the title, we are doing great as far as flamewars are considered.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #38
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
"The Mysterious island" is a wonderful book witch I recommend to everyone. Survival novel, society critisism, character relations, it really drags you in.

"50 leagues under the sea" witch I think it's called, but not sure, is also very good, but how you read it is based heavily on what political views and meanings you have. I know that I've interpetated the book totally different than ppl. who really like this world..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 09-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #39
Codger

Shivers.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera
"The Mysterious island" is a wonderful book witch I recommend to everyone. Survival novel, society critisism, character relations, it really drags you in.

"50 leagues under the sea" witch I think it's called, but not sure, is also very good, but how you read it is based heavily on what political views and meanings you have. I know that I've interpetated the book totally different than ppl. who really like this world..
Isn't Voyage inspired by Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon? (not entirely sure about the title either)