You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games that have scared you (and ones that probably shouldn't have)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #41

Broken Sword : The Shadow of the Templars scared me the first time I played it. Like when you were in Khan's hotel room and he came... I was like "what do I do? What do I do?"... lucky enough for me George took care of it himself. The train ride scared me too. I was so sure that Flap would try to kill me and that I would have to react really fast... phew.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #42
Sierra Fanatic

I played the Gabriel Knight 1 when I was about 10. The part where you had to evade the zombies freaked me out to no end. I actually avoided the game for several weeks before I got up the nerve to try that section.

Also, my grandma had "Uninvited" for the NES. I was traumatized as a 6 year old. Even playing that as an adult, the music is freaky as all hell.

Silent Hill 2 also scares the hell out of me, but not so much since I played it through a few times; you learn where the scripted events are.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:08 AM   #43

Well, thanks to everybody for making me feel ancient. It's hard for me to realise that there are adults in the world today who actually grew up around computers.

Jeez, I never even saw Space Invaders until I'd left school.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:01 AM   #44
handsome

A pure Adventure Game thats scary (or with some scary parts)?? Is there one?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #45

The longest journey, the cinematic with the Gribbler... I knew something like that was coming but it still scared the bejebus out of me
Old 08-06-2007, 11:09 PM   #46

For some reason the thing that scared me the most was I think in The Omega Stone (it might've been a different game but I can't remember for some reason). The bit where you go to the church in the graveyard I think? You go inside and look through the telescope and the Druid comes out from behind the tree. I thought "okay, that's kind of lame". Later I clicked on the trap door that leads to the attic where all of a sudden his face appears - I just let out this blood-curdling scream. I don't think it was even supposed to be scary.

The giant fish in Commander Keen 5 (?) prevented me from completing that level.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 AM   #47
Super Moderator

That's The Omega Stone! That guy was creepy.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:19 AM   #48

Oh good! At least I'm not the only one that was scared of him. LOL!
Old 08-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #49

I remember that as a kid I was scared senseless at the Dwarfs in Kings Quest VI, I was terrible at that game at that age and I was always afraid I was going to die, and I 'd make it through to the second to last, or the last one and then get booted into the ocean.

Also, the entire act of Sanitarium in Max's house.

edit: I forgot to add that I was absolutely terrified of the entire Gabriel Knight experience, sequels and all. However, I could never put them down... it was far too intriguing.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #50
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

I remember when the demo of Sanitarium came out (I was 11). Oh my good. Oh jeez. It was very nice gme experience, but the asulyum guys freaked me out. And I remember the guy who jump of the "cliff" and just falls down into the dark nowhere. Also, playing Clock Tower when the Scissorman chased me wasen't funny at all, it was scary as hell.
Ah right, I forgot about playing Riven for the first time (this was the first Myst game I played). The feeling of being all alone and no one to turn to was really unsatisfying.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #51
Adventure Newbie

When I was young I once played Return to Zork with my friend at his house. I don't remember much, but I do remember being really creeped out by pretty much everything. And some old dude wouldn't stop asking for "rye".

A little while after that I was given Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness for Christmas. I loved it, but I eventually had to stop playing it because of the constant nightmares it gave me. (Yeah, I was easily scared back then.) Everything about that game was--and still is--dark. Eventually I grew up and started it back up again, and it soon became one of my favorite games. Even with its dark atmosphere, the characters, who are indeed a big part of the dark tone, each have a very lovable quirkiness to them, creating a brilliant (IMO) contrast of humor and gloom that I will never forget.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #52

Phantasmagoria. Eventhough I was as old as 16 when it was released and had found its way to my computer, it was still reaaally scary. Features like "near movie" quality was brand new back then. Some scenes really gave me the chills.

A couple of years earlier I found the ending of Laura Bow - The Dagger of Amon Ra quite scary too. After seeing almost every partyguest ending up dead (you finding each of the bodies of course) somewhere, the killer was now chasing you!

There was also this other point and click adventure some years back that also scared me some. I can for the love of me not remember its name, but it started in a submarine, and some mysterious (and creepy) creature was loose onboard.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:04 AM   #53

The giant rat in the cave in King's Quest 1... and Dracula's castle in KQ2.

The clown in Alone in the Dark 2.

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 08-15-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneho Chane View Post
I remember when I first died in Riven, which was early on after opening that one book, I was shocked. Like I was seriously shocked. I had no idea you could die in Riven and it completely changed the outlook of the game for me. Knowing that I could die in the game made it a lot more overwhelming and freakier. It didn't help at all when I ran into the little ghost girl a little bit after this discovery. Damn, I had chills running through my body the rest of the playthrough.
Why is everyone so scared of the little girl? I thought she was cute. She's not a ghost, she's just one of the kids from the village. When you first arrive at the lagoon, if you look carefully, you can see her playing in the distance.

Now, the part I find scary is coming back to the temple on the first island and seing Gehn's face in that huge hologram-viewer. I nearly jumped out of my seat.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #55
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblebad View Post
There was also this other point and click adventure some years back that also scared me some. I can for the love of me not remember its name, but it started in a submarine, and some mysterious (and creepy) creature was loose onboard.
That sounds like Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #56

Not a total adventure game but I rememember a cousin showing me Shadow of the Beast II on the amiga when I was younger. I bought it then played it at home during the night upstairs on my own then got scared and didn't really play it any more
Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi View Post
That sounds like Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice.
YES!! That was the one. Thank you so much for the reminder.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #58

Wow, that head thing scared me too. I had to wait a year before I could go back and beat it, and in that amount of time, I had beaten every other sequel!
Even children's games can be scary if they had poor sounds and characters that seemed to stare into your soul with their unblinking eyes...
Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggleRock View Post
When I was young I once played Return to Zork with my friend at his house. I don't remember much, but I do remember being really creeped out by pretty much everything. And some old dude wouldn't stop asking for "rye".

A little while after that I was given Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness for Christmas. I loved it, but I eventually had to stop playing it because of the constant nightmares it gave me. (Yeah, I was easily scared back then.) Everything about that game was--and still is--dark. Eventually I grew up and started it back up again, and it soon became one of my favorite games. Even with its dark atmosphere, the characters, who are indeed a big part of the dark tone, each have a very lovable quirkiness to them, creating a brilliant (IMO) contrast of humor and gloom that I will never forget.
Hahahaha, probably the part that freaks me out the most about QFGIV was a part that wasnt even scary, but i know why they added it in. THAT STUPID HAWK!!!! Comes in the screen screeching bloody murder. It would almost always make me jump as a kid. Such a great game and series. Also when i was a kid in kings quest II the music the game played when the dwarf popped out, or the wolf was in grandmas house. That music just creeped me out. I didnt like the death music either.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:08 AM   #60
Your average crooner

I always thought that the first encounter between Malcolm and Brandon (yes, and the knifes) is unnerving. An encounter in the bright open fields, full of colours. Yes, even scary.

EDIT: oh, the game: Legend of Kyrandia