You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Game Playthrough #2: Gabriel Knight 1: Sins of the Fathers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 03:43 AM   #21
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Or a Tim Curry attempt at it .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #22
Strategy Guide Author

Completed Day 1.. I can see as fov said that you don't have to do everything to move forward as I probably did almost the minimum required to do.

I can see why one of the additions in GK2 was the visual clue that things were still required to be completed at certain locations. There are many locations open right now and I can see a time when I'm visiting each frantically trying to figure out what to do next.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #23
Strategy Guide Author

Finished Day 2.. definitely a tougher game than it's sequels, in my opinion. I miss a few things here and there because of the lack of hot spots.

Question for those that have played the game, regarding the clock in Gran's attic:

Spoiler:

I gave in and found the solution to it.. but where is the clue on what you're supposed to do? Does it come later? I was afraid I had missed something and gave in to the solution but I don't recall ever receiving a hint for that, unless it comes later and I did it prematurely.
thanks!
Old 02-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod
Question for those that have played the game, regarding the clock in Gran's attic:

Spoiler:

I gave in and found the solution to it.. but where is the clue on what you're supposed to do? Does it come later? I was afraid I had missed something and gave in to the solution but I don't recall ever receiving a hint for that, unless it comes later and I did it prematurely.
thanks!
There's a poem by Heinz Ritter (= Harrison Knight) somewhere (in the book shop, I think) which mentions three dragons. And, more generally, the theme of the three dragons / snakes runs in Gabriel's family (cf. also his father's painting, the sketch book, etc.) (and it's not the last time you'll run into it).

And I promise I'll get around to joining the playthrough (because you must be getting bored here all by yourself ); just give me a couple more days.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 02-11-2006, 09:12 AM   #25
Super Moderator

I finished day 1 as well and it made me want to go to the French Quarter again. It's a fabulous place!

I really got stuck and had to restart from an earlier point when Gabriel had to:

Spoiler:
Get the VooDoo Murder file photocopied. If you talk to Officer Franks, I don't think you can give the file back to her to go inside again and chat with Mosely. I restarted before the whole business of asking her for the file so I could avoid that.

It's a wonderful game and I love the banter between Gabriel and Grace and I love the narrator! (Sorry Kurufinwe )
Old 02-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #26
headless

Funny thing I only just installed GK 1 again 3 hours ago to test something with DOSBOX. And now I peek into the forum and discover this thread! The coincidence is almost spooky... Must be the call of the wild AGers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
It's a wonderful game and I love the banter between Gabriel and Grace and I love the narrator! (Sorry Kurufinwe )
Me too, me too and I won't be sorry for it, never!

Erm, as I said, I only wanted to test something with the configuration but I got so drawn in again that I had to play on. But I doubt that I will have the patience to participate in the playthrough as I play the GK's almost by heart now.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:58 AM   #27
Life and times of...

Well great, now I can't get it to work properly. There's some weird problem with save games: there are none (from the last time I played) and whenever I try to save, when I click the save-button in the menu it crashes...
Old 02-16-2006, 05:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
Well great, now I can't get it to work properly. There's some weird problem with save games: there are none (from the last time I played) and whenever I try to save, when I click the save-button in the menu it crashes...
What version are you using (CD/floppy, Windows/DOS under DOSBox/DOS with VDMS)?

And I just started replaying it yesterday. I didn't go far, though (just bookshop + grandmother). I love it. Apart from the interface, which has far too many icons (and cycling through them by right-clicking is rather painful). And the narrator, of course. (well, I haven't turned her off, but I usually just read her lines and click --- she's unbearably slow). I'll try and catch up if I can.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 02-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #29
Strategy Guide Author

Heh, I agree Kurufinwe, the right-clicking through the icons is rather annoying.

I'm up to Day 4 now. I really enjoy the game. Very-well paced story and I'm excited about where it's going. I have some predictions that I'm fairly certain will pay out to be true, but we'll see.

I've had to peek at a walkthrough a few times when I thought I had exhausted every single possibly conversation, "show item to this guy", etc.. nearly every time it's a hot spot I missed.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #30

im also going to join the playthrough. i never finished the game before, so now is the chance.

im still on day 1, having been everywhere and spoken to everyone. first impressions are there are really a lot of interections, and lots of dialogue, and i'm not sure what i have to do. and at the its not quite clear exactly what i have to do. i guess im investigating the voodoo murders.

oh, and i had no idea what to do with the clock. were there any clues along the way?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:59 PM   #31
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordalles
oh, and i had no idea what to do with the clock. were there any clues along the way?
Yes...
Old 02-16-2006, 08:26 PM   #32
Strategy Guide Author

I kinda agree with Mordalles that the setup could be a bit better. Guess that's what you get with the fancy FMV or rendered intros.

I do like how the puzzle hints aren't forcefed to you.. like if Gabriel comes across a puzzle, he doesn't say something to himself that is a massive giveaway hint. A lot of recent games do this. Course that makes the game a lot more of a challenge
Old 02-17-2006, 03:33 AM   #33

Quote:
I'm up to Day 4 now. I really enjoy the game. Very-well paced story and I'm excited about where it's going. I have some predictions that I'm fairly certain will pay out to be true, but we'll see.
Tell us more, tell us more! Really, it's interesting to make fun of listen to people's hypotheses about the plot. (Use spoiler tags, though.)
Old 02-17-2006, 05:27 AM   #34
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
What version are you using (CD/floppy, Windows/DOS under DOSBox/DOS with VDMS)?
I have the CD version and I'm using the patch by Hendroz.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
I have the CD version and I'm using the patch by Hendroz.
The savegames in GK are named GKSG.xxx (where xxx = 000, 001, 002, etc.), used together with GKSG.CAT (which contains the list of the savegames, the names you've given them, etc.). Maybe one of those files is corrupt for some reason. First, make sure that they're not read-only (right-click, Properties). If that's not the case, you could try removing them (by putting them in another folder) and see if you can access the save panel again. That won't allow you to use your old savegames, but at least you'll be able to make new ones. If that still doesn't work, you'll probably have to re-install.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #36
Strategy Guide Author

My predictions:

Spoiler:

It seems to me that Malia Gedde is the real Voodoo queen or whatever... the story of Laveau implied she was just a figurehead for the real powerplayer. Malia has some sort of voodoo thing going on with Gabe. Now that I've received Wolfgang's journal with the "shockingly" similar plotline in his family's past, I'd now put a hefty wager on it. I imagine the game's remaining major plot points will mirror those in the journal's last page.

Probably missing a lot of details

I'm on Day 5 now and stuck on some nasty puzzles
Old 02-20-2006, 04:24 AM   #37

I've finished Day 3. I really love this game. Jane Jensen is especially good at making interesting and believable characters: Gabe, Grace, Malia, even Madame Cazaunoux has a real depth. But Malia's definitely the best, of course. Although, every time I hear Leilani Jones, I'm reminded of her playing the voodoo lady (!) in MI. And Tim Curry's doing a much better job than in GK3, where he really overdoes it. (And Mark Hamill can't act, but that's hardly a surprise.)

The plot is moving much faster than I remembered, which is actually nice. The game would probably have been a bit better by toning down the gratuitous puzzles (like the whole drawing/lucky dog sequence), but it still works rather well.

Well, there doesn't seem to be a community schedule anymore, so I'll just go on as I feel.

Quote:
My predictions:

Spoiler:

It seems to me that Malia Gedde is the real Voodoo queen or whatever... the story of Laveau implied she was just a figurehead for the real powerplayer. Malia has some sort of voodoo thing going on with Gabe. Now that I've received Wolfgang's journal with the "shockingly" similar plotline in his family's past, I'd now put a hefty wager on it. I imagine the game's remaining major plot points will mirror those in the journal's last page.

Probably missing a lot of details

I'm on Day 5 now and stuck on some nasty puzzles
It sounds like you haven't read the graphic novel that came with the game. You really ought to. See here if you've got one of those versions that don't have it. And, regarding your predictions... Well, you'll see.

And is Day 5 St John's Eve? That day was hard. But I thought that was day 6... I can't remember.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:17 AM   #38
Strategy Guide Author

Ahh.. I had the original graphic novel when I bought the floppy version "back in the day" but didn't have it any longer.. good read and yea, essentially covers the eventual end game story.

Obviously a lot deeper than I theorized and expected, which is great.

I'm up to Day 7 now.. I had to:

Spoiler:

...cheat a bit on the "what Gabe writes on the tomb" puzzle. I didn't put two and two together.. now I see I could have listened to the lecture, since that is where fwet kash was explained and then remembered there was a little coffin in the museum shop.

Last edited by Phod; 02-20-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #39

im into day 3, and the game is really starting to interest me. it is starting to suck me in with its story. and i really love all the animations they put in the game. there are animations for every single little thing.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #40
Mostly absent

Quote:
I'm up to Day 7 now.. I had to:

Spoiler:

...cheat a bit on the "what Gabe writes on the tomb" puzzle. I didn't put two and two together.. now I see I could have listened to the lecture, since that is where fwet kash was explained and then remembered there was a little coffin in the museum shop.
Spoiler:
That puzzle never worked for me when I played the game maybe three years ago. I have no idea why, but I probably tried it a hundred times before giving up.