You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best/Worst Adventure Game Ending

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #81

Best:

Monty Python's The Holy Grail.

Oh wait....that was a movie.

Monkey 2 gets my wote then

Worst:

Black Mirror. Sorry.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #82

Best: Probably The Last Express and Grim Fandango - both extremely satisfying, though in very different ways. Worst: well, there's the innumerable games which barely even have endings, let alone good ones. I'd have to include Myst in that category, much as I love the game in general.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:26 PM   #83

Worst: Dreamfall because it didn't have an ending.

Best: Syberia 1 because it managed to be open-ended yet so completely inspiring.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 05-26-2007, 12:33 AM   #84
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

Worst, I agree with the person above, Dreamfall and I have to add - Still Life.
Best, umm, dunno if this is the best but it's satisfying - Sanitarum.
Wishlist: Belief & Betrayal, Gabriel Knight Series, Black Dahlia ...
Old 05-26-2007, 03:00 AM   #85

Spoiler:
I was very moved when I saw Gabriel Knight crumple the note from Grace in the ending of GK3. What was the deal?
Old 05-26-2007, 03:22 AM   #86

Best: Myst III, GF had a great ending as well, but the (good) ending of Myst III was very satisfying.

Worst: difficult to say, probably Nibiru and Still Life, oh and Riven was quite lacking as well (after all the work you put in to it)
Old 05-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #87

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Worst, partially I feel Broken Sword 4, because I felt so sorry for George.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:16 PM   #88

Best - Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 1, The Longest Journey

Worst - Beyond Atlantis, Monkey Island 2, Dreamfall

I don't like endings that make me go "What the ..."

I can see how some people dislike the ending of Black Mirror, but
Spoiler:
by the time that game was over, I was glad to see the end of Samuel. "Good riddance," was my final thought on that one.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:17 AM   #89
Mean Old Cat

Worst: Dreamfall and Still Life. Both for the same reason - they just... stopped. I wouldn't even call what came at the end of those two games "endings"; that's giving them too much credit. I enjoyed playing through both games and had high expectations of the endings, which made me all that more furious once I got there. If I've spent a load of money and then a whole bunch of hours on a single game I want to feel that I've put all that to good use. I want to feel that the game gives something back to me and that I've accomplished something at the end of the day. But with these two... I just felt robbed and cheated. Nothing got resolved; none of my theories about the in-game mysteries were either confirmed or proven wrong. I actually felt insulted that the developers would pull a stunt like that on the people who support them.

Best? I'm too worked up over the bad ones I can't think of any now.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:21 AM   #90

Best Endings:
- The Pandora Directive. Really satisfying, all 6 of them. (Ok, really, 3 of them are truly satisfying. The other 3 I tend to dodge.)
- Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned. Simply beautiful.

Worst ending:
- Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within. For such a cinematic game, you'd truly expect a cinematic ending.

On Monkey Island 2:
I'm on the 'bad ending' side of the fence. It did make sense, yes. Was it good in itself? No. Though I must say I didn't like the whole game that much. As far as I'm concerned, Curse of Monkey Island actually SAVED the series from definite suckage. I guess it's a question of tastes.

And I get a kick out of the big explanation scene in MI3.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:26 AM   #91

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

My favorite ending is probably Syberia II. It was so powerful that I almost reached tears.

Worst for me is probably Paradise. The plot was rather shallow as it was but that ending was completely anti-climax to me.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #92

Worst ending in game for me is Fable [the pc game not the xbox game] the ending made the whole game pointless, I almost cried at the end it was sooo annoying.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:09 AM   #93
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroggy View Post
Best: Myst III, GF had a great ending as well, but the (good) ending of Myst III was very satisfying.

Worst: difficult to say, probably Nibiru and Still Life, oh and Riven was quite lacking as well (after all the work you put in to it)
I think you have to watch all the endings to really appreciate the real ending to Riven. I'm glad to hear Myst III has a good ending, I'm playing that now.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #94

Best-Grim Fandango
Worst-Dreamfall
Old 05-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwapitm View Post
Best-Grim Fandango
Worst-Dreamfall
This is my opinion too.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #96

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

Worst is defenatly BS: Angel of Death, it was even worse then BS3. oh I forgot Fahrenheit sucked pretty hard to but still not a much as BS4

Best: Well it's not a adventure but Mafia had the best ending of anygame ever, i think. Well maybe not but its the one that comes to mind the first. I liked the Full Throttle ending but maybe it was because it's, I think, the only adventure i played without a walktrough.
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me Cookie

Last edited by I Love Cookiemonster; 05-27-2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: I forgot something ;)
Old 05-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #97

I thought Myst had a horrible ending. Also I agree with the above answer on Still Life. No closure whatsoever!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurken View Post
Best:

Monty Python's The Holy Grail.

Oh wait....that was a movie.
Ha ha ha! They actually did have a Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail Adventure Game and the ending is actually quite interesting.

Spoiler:
They added on an ending so that you would actually find the Holy Grail!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #99

Okay, I'll be honest. It's been a while since I played adventure games, with school and all. However, I still have at least one game ending I loved, and a lot I disliked immensely.

Best Ending:

King's Quest VI: Although it's obviously not going to win any "Greatest Endings EVAR!" awards, it's probably the only adventure game that really makes me feel like what I did actually mattered. The numerous variations on the ending, ranging from just rushing in to actually trying to solve the mystery, added a sense of depth to what was otherwise a pretty straightforward ending.

(There are probably others, but my mind is pretty much zapped right now.)

Worst Endings:

Myst: Okay, I played through hours upon hours of hellish gameplay, solving overly-complicated puzzles and getting totally lost along the way, and...I get NOTHING?!

Monkey Island 2: Note to video gaming industry: Unless you have a guaranted sequel on the way, and the rest of the story mapped out, don't end your game with a cliffhanger. It will not drive interest in your game past the usual levels, it will not guarantee high sales, and it will only serve as a point of contention for the rest of eternity.

Indigo Prophecy: Yes, I'm in the US. Yes, I suck. But man, this game just angered me to no end. The endings make no sense by virtue of the fact that over a third of the plot was completely skipped. All that way just to get my butt kicked by a giant purple thing? And if I manage to beat it, all I get is a slightly happier voice over? COME ON!

Zork: Grand Inquisitor: It's sad to see it on this list, since I loved everything up to this point. (Well, except for the frequent crashing.) The cutscene itself makes little sense, and I didn't actually care much for the text adventure screens, mostly because they were mere preludes to another system crash. Furthermore, the ending itself was pretty lousy, although
Spoiler:
seeing the Grand Inquisitor seemingly zapped by a coconut had me in stitches.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #100
Lost.

Ironically my favorite AG's have some pretty sub-par endings.

WORST:

Curse of Monkey Island: Sure the plot worked out to a satisfying conclusion, but I was so disappointed with how short it was. They could have stretched it out a lot longer than that.

Toonstruck: It ended on a cliffhanger! And there's never ever going to be a sequel! It's the worst ending a player could encounter.

BEST:

Um.. this is going to be tough.. but I guess--

Monkey Island 1 and 4: Ended on a funny note. Was pretty satisfying. ESPECIALLY MI4 where
Spoiler:
Elaine and Guybrush hand over governship to the Hermit. That's a guaranteed promise that if they ever make a MI5, there's not going to be any more boring legal adventures. WOOHOO!
What more could I want?