You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Horror and Dark-Themed Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 03:46 PM   #1

Default Horror and Dark-Themed Games

Greetings, everyone. Brian here. Pleased to meet you.

I've been playing adventure games now for a long, long, long time -- my first was Zork 1 back when was 12. At 33, I've played a lot of 'em.

I took a long, long break from adventure gaming, and I'm pleased to see the genre still somewhat well represented, although mostly through the efforts of smaller publishing houses. I suppose we'll never see the likes of the Glory Days again, but hey -- there are obviously still great games out there to play.

I am a particular fan of horror-themed games (or at least supernaturally-themed) games, and I have picked up some recent ones -- Indigo Prophecy, Black Mirror, Dark Fall, Lights Out, etc.

I'd be curious to know your favorites in this particular genre, which seems to suit adventure gaming well.

My thanks for your kind attention and your answers. I await them eagerly.

Brian

Small Edit: Recent releases, in particular, are welcomed, but of course feel free to discuss your favorites. Being a Lovecraft fan, two of mine are the classic Infocom Lurking Horror and the stellar modern text adventure Anchorhead.

Last edited by Thoth93; 10-21-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Welcome to the AG forums, Brian

Personally I've not played many horror AG's, but I'm pretty certain there are others lurking around these parts who have.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Sanitarium and the Gabriel Knight games are must-plays, IMHO. Both are delicious forays into psychological horror.

Bad Day on the Midway is another interestingly freakish game, although it might be difficult to track down a copy as it wasn't a common seller. (I'm also not sure it entirely qualifies as an adventure game, although it's closest to being an adventure than to any other genre, IMHO.)

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 10-21-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

"Zork-Nemesis"- A dark, creepy, and humorless departure from the rest of the "Zork" series, it's definitely not for the weak of constitution.
"Morpheus"- A good combination of SciFi and ghost story featuring some truly reprehensible characters and great vacation spots.

It's a pleasure to meet you, Brian. Welcome to the AG forum.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 10-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
Thats the ticket

Still Life was very sadistic, from the way the victims were killed and the inclusion of the cookie puzzle

I agree with Zork Nemisis, very dark, and not at all like the old Zorks.

The best horror games I've played were first person shooters like Realms of the Haunting, Undying and System Shock 2.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:20 PM   #6

The japanese games in this genre are the most impressive imo. Fatal Frame, Forbidden Siren, Kuon... Pity they've only been released on the PS2.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:00 AM   #7
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycomb
The japanese games in this genre are the most impressive imo. Fatal Frame, Forbidden Siren, Kuon... Pity they've only been released on the PS2.
Don't forget about Silent Hill series. I've never played them though cause I'm a scaredy cat
Old 10-22-2005, 03:46 AM   #8
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth93
Small Edit: Recent releases, in particular, are welcomed, but of course feel free to discuss your favorites. Being a Lovecraft fan, two of mine are the classic Infocom Lurking Horror and the stellar modern text adventure Anchorhead.

What about Shadow Of The Comet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Comet
Old 10-22-2005, 04:09 AM   #9

I don't have much to add, so I'll just cast another vote for Sanitarium and the Gabriel Knight series. They're dated, but definitely must-plays.

If you're into Lovecraft, you might look for the various lovecraftian games that Infogrames did: Shadow of the Comet (which samIamsad mentioned), Prisoner of Ice (a follow-up to the former) and the first Alone in the Dark.

We also had a similar thread a few weeks ago; you may find other suggestions there.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:09 AM   #10
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Hey, a fellow old-school gamer!!! Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

lol, seriously, welcome to the best adventure forums in DA WOILD!

Have you ever played the Shivers games? The first one's set in a very atmospheric haunted museum, the second in a recently-deserted small town. Somewhat similar, thematically to the Dark Fall games, but much more vibrant colors, and moodier music.

There's a new action-y game I see getting good reviews, called F.E.A.R., but haven't played it personally. If you don't mind action, I'd add Alone in the Dark 4, The Thing, American McGee's Alice, and Clive Barker's Undying to the list of games you might like.

Other adventure games I found creepy include Bad Mojo, Post Mortem, Dracula: Resurrection, and some parts of John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles.

And to round out the list, if you don't mind some satirical horror, try Ghost Master. It's like the Sims mixed with the movie The Frighteners. Very amusing, but challenging as well.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:31 PM   #11
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Don't forget Phantasmagoria, and if you like Lovecraft games, then there's also Prisoner Of Ice
Old 10-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #12
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Might help: http://justadventure.com/articles/Ho...or_Top_10.shtm
Old 10-23-2005, 08:49 PM   #13

If you like puzzles mixed with horror than try 11th Hour and Ripper. Ripper actually has some famous actors in it (Christopher Walken for instance), lots of vulgarity, and tons of disturbing scenes. Just keep in mind that with both games, the puzzles will disturb you as well with their difficulty.

I'm not sure if you can tolerate action games in the form of third person shooting, but if you can, then you'll definitely want to play Nocturne and Blair Witch Project Episode 1: Rustin Parr. The later is especially good at scaring the shit out of you and creeping you out.

Lastly...if you don't mind first person shooters...then you want to play Undying and Aliens vs Predator (the human mission). Both of those have several sequences that will put you on the edge.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:47 PM   #14
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by entranced
If you like puzzles mixed with horror than try 11th Hour and Ripper.
If you can find Ripper at a decent price then I would be very interested to know.
Every time I see this game on ebay it sells for around £20

I have been wanting it for ages but I'm not prepared to pay that much for a used game
Old 10-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #15
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Don't forget Phantasmagoria...
I thought that was a comedy myself.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:41 PM   #16
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
I thought that was a comedy myself.
Morelike..Don´t find it a bit scary..
Old 10-28-2005, 12:02 AM   #17

All my favorite have been posted already, but there you go:

Darkfall, Black Mirror, Sanitarium, Zork Nemesis, Shadow of the Comet, Gabriel Knight 2.

Noctropolis isn't exactly horror-themed, but it's dark-comics-themed, and it's brilliant.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:32 AM   #18
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

This is a great thread for Halloween, lol.....oh, be right back....

(wanders off to his dark kitchen alone, sans flashlight, only to find a chainsaw-wielding maniac hiding in his fridge. The rest ain't pretty...)
Old 10-28-2005, 12:26 PM   #19

Default Wow. :)

Lots of responses, thank you all!

I love computer and video games in general, so I've played many of the aforementioned suggestions -- Fatal Frame, Silent Hill series, etc. I love FPS games, third-person action, pure "traditional" adventure games. Heck, I just love games in general.

I've got F.E.A.R., although I'm not sure how well the story is going to play out. The action is great, though.

Finished Indigo Prophecy this week. I'll post a full analysis of that as soon as I can. Moved on to Still Life on the adventure side of things.

Some of my favorite scary games from the past:
1. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. Whooohoo! One of my faves.
2. The Resident Evil Series, which actually has some genuine adventure game puzzle solving thrown in on occasion. And the bad acting is part of the fun!
3. Silent Hill 2. A deeply affecting game, with a wonderfully dark story and some genuine emotional heft. Fantastic music, too.
4. Fatal Frame. It sounds totally lame -- take your magic camera into the spooky old mansion to find out what happened to your brother. Well, you'll scream like a little girl the first time those ghoulies, ghosties and long-legged beasties start a-chasin' you! And yes, it does have adventure elements.
5. Lurking Horror. A text adventure, appropriate for a Lovecraftian game. Was the first game I ever played that I thought successfully channeled the HPL vibe. Superceded only by:
6. Anchorhead. If you think text adventures cant' be scary -- you are wrong. Oh, so wrong. As much as I enjoyed LH back in its day, Anchorhead is the epitome of the Lovecraftian horror game in its purest form -- text only.
7. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. An RPG with lots of bugs, now patched mostly thanks to a fan patch. But there's a haunted house scene in the game that I found absolutely bone-chilling. Also has many elements lifted from traditional adventure games.
8. The Suffering. Somehow greater than the sum of its parts. Surprisingly disturbing and enjoyable. Very action-oriented.
9. Darkfall. Usually I hate third-person adventures, but this one was surprisingly effective. A good story, fiendish (at times) puzzles. Lots of note-taking involved.
10. Half-Life series. Believe it or not, there are some great horror moments in HL1+2. In two, there's a scene where you're blasting reanimated corpses (complete with brain-sucking aliens) in a cemetery while a mad man of the cloth gleefully cackles near you, blowing them away with a shotgun and screaming over and over, "COME! COME TO REDEMPTION MY CHILDREN!," etc.

I could think of a lot more. And will later.

Games I wish I'd played (and still might)

- Realms of the Haunted
- Gabriel Knight 2+3. The reason I didn't play these was not because of a lack of desire but because of poor timing. Both times the games came out, I didn't have a computer up to snuff to play them. By the time I got one, they were not widely available.

Thanks for the great adventure game tips. I managed to find both Dracula games in a single package at EB games for $1.99 (ha!), and I got Ghost Master for $3.99.

Keep those suggestions coming.

Brian
Old 10-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #20
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth93
Realms of the Haunted
Speaking as someone who finally got a copy of Realms of the Haunting a couple of days ago, buy it. What little I've played so far is wonderful .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.