• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

I am 15 hours in Myha with the end not yet in site. Loving it!

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Playing through Unavowed.  I haven’t gotten too far yet, but I feel already that the influence of Planescape: Torment is showing.  You roleplay as an amnesiac (or in this case formerly demon possessed) trying to uncover the horrible things your past self has done.  Mostly searching for the answer to WHY?  WHY did I seduce this person?  WHY did I mass murder these people?  WHY did I start this cult?  Also cribbed straight from Planescape is a character who is cursed to be eternally on fire.

Anyway, I’m definitely enjoying it.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

I’ve started playing “Book of Unwritten Tales” and really like it so far. It has quite a “cozy” feel to it. Beautiful graphics/scenery, good music and som good humor.
Sure, the puzzles so far have been quite easy and straight forward, but I like it. Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Life is Strange Before The Storm Bonus Episode. It’s kinda cute.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

playing wing commander 3 for the first time in decades.  i realize not adventure, well not really except for dialog choices i guess but wow the acting is so much worse than i remember it, it’s terrible XD ...the nostalgia is still great though

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

syn - 11 April 2019 05:27 PM

playing wing commander 3 for the first time in decades.  i realize not adventure, well not really except for dialog choices i guess but wow the acting is so much worse than i remember it, it’s terrible XD ...the nostalgia is still great though

the wing commander franchise is my fav franchise of all time with wing commander 4 being my favorite. I think the acting in wc3 is not too bad def better in 4 however

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’m playing Whispers of a Machine and I’m loving it. I got it after reading the eulogistic comments here in the dedicated thread, so far I’m not regretting it in the least.
It’s got me out of the gaming rut I had been stuck in since failing to care for The Pillars of the Earth (nice graphics, nice monk, but not a thing that even remotely resembles a puzzle and I’m not too fond of choice-based game mechanics, I find them stress-inducing and disappointing at the same time, especially when their influence on the course of events is only superficial).
In between I had replayed Day of the Tentacle and a few Nancy Drew games as I needed something upbeat and familiar, but I didn’t feel like trying anything new, I guess I was afraid of another frustration. Fortunately, Whispers of a Machine is just what I needed, I got enthralled in it almost right away, I’m forcing myself to pace down so I don’t finish it too quickly (even though it promises to have a high replay value). Now I just hope it doesn’t tailspin into unnecessary creepiness and overused tropes like Kathy Rain, but it doesn’t seem to be heading that way Smile

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

NickyLarson - 22 April 2019 05:54 PM

I’m playing Whispers of a Machine and I’m loving it. I got it after reading the eulogistic comments here in the dedicated thread, so far I’m not regretting it in the least.
It’s got me out of the gaming rut I had been stuck in since failing to care for The Pillars of the Earth (nice graphics, nice monk, but not a thing that even remotely resembles a puzzle and I’m not too fond of choice-based game mechanics, I find them stress-inducing and disappointing at the same time, especially when their influence on the course of events is only superficial).
In between I had replayed Day of the Tentacle and a few Nancy Drew games as I needed something upbeat and familiar, but I didn’t feel like trying anything new, I guess I was afraid of another frustration. Fortunately, Whispers of a Machine is just what I needed, I got enthralled in it almost right away, I’m forcing myself to pace down so I don’t finish it too quickly (even though it promises to have a high replay value). Now I just hope it doesn’t tailspin into unnecessary creepiness and overused tropes like Kathy Rain, but it doesn’t seem to be heading that way Smile

There are some tropes in the end, but none that are eye rolling. Plus the choices you make in this game do matter, from the gameplay, to the ending.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Jdawg445 - 23 April 2019 03:59 AM

There are some tropes in the end, but none that are eye rolling. Plus the choices you make in this game do matter, from the gameplay, to the ending.

Indeed! I don’t mind tropes (you have to have some), it’s just a few specific ones in Kathy Rain that upset me, but I don’t hold that against the developers. In Whispers of a Machine, I particularly appreciated the way you could shape Vera’s relationship to maternity without ever feeling judged one way or the other.

Now, I found Whispers of a Machine superior in every regard anyway Smile I liked the choice mechanism here, it offered different paths but, like in Unavowed, I never felt stressed or worried that I may have taken a wrong decision or locked my way out of a good / better ending. I will definitely replay it since I’m curious of the alternative solutions to the augmentation-based puzzles (I played the analytical route, I wonder how you can get by without the invisibility cloak for instance). I would also like to see what happens in the end if you choose to activate Hulra, even though it doesn’t feel like a good idea to me (Alex’s voice (the “Blue” speaking, I guess) gets way too creepy when he tries to push Vera to do it).

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

NickyLarson - 25 April 2019 06:21 AM
Jdawg445 - 23 April 2019 03:59 AM

Indeed! I don’t mind tropes (you have to have some), it’s just a few specific ones in Kathy Rain that upset me, but I don’t hold that against the developers. In Whispers of a Machine, I particularly appreciated the way you could shape Vera’s relationship to maternity without ever feeling judged one way or the other.

Now, I found Whispers of a Machine superior in every regard anyway Smile I liked the choice mechanism here, it offered different paths but, like in Unavowed, I never felt stressed or worried that I may have taken a wrong decision or locked my way out of a good / better ending. I will definitely replay it since I’m curious of the alternative solutions to the augmentation-based puzzles (I played the analytical route, I wonder how you can get by without the invisibility cloak for instance). I would also like to see what happens in the end if you choose to activate Hulra, even though it doesn’t feel like a good idea to me (Alex’s voice (the “Blue” speaking, I guess) gets way too creepy when he tries to push Vera to do it).

im glad you liked it a lot, it is my fav adventure game since technobabylon. See comparing it to unavowed, whispers blows that game out of the water to me bc I think this game has far better puzzles and is far better at hiding its game mechanics, whereas unavowed wore them on their sleeve if that makes sense. Whispers hides them in the narrative that you choose.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I agree it was better integrated than in Unavowed, it felt more natural, went with the flow. What I liked in both games is that I could make decisions that impacted gameplay without having to wonder whether there may have been a better option. Not knowing the alternative augmentations you could have got also makes replays more enticing (whereas in Unavowed, if you look hard enough / wander aimlessly looking for a solution for long enough, you have a pretty clear idea what other party members could have brought to the puzzle-solving at hand). I liked both games, but my preference goes to Whispers as well. Anyway, I’m glad I tried it, I wasn’t attracted at first because of the sci-fi setting, but the world is cleverly described and the setting is quite pleasant actually, with the lack of computers and the subsequent re-localisation of economy being a nice twist.
I haven’t played Technobabylon yet… I think it’s high time I tried it Grin

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

NickyLarson - 25 April 2019 03:50 PM

I agree it was better integrated than in Unavowed, it felt more natural, went with the flow. What I liked in both games is that I could make decisions that impacted gameplay without having to wonder whether there may have been a better option. Not knowing the alternative augmentations you could have got also makes replays more enticing (whereas in Unavowed, if you look hard enough / wander aimlessly looking for a solution for long enough, you have a pretty clear idea what other party members could have brought to the puzzle-solving at hand). I liked both games, but my preference goes to Whispers as well. Anyway, I’m glad I tried it, I wasn’t attracted at first because of the sci-fi setting, but the world is cleverly described and the setting is quite pleasant actually, with the lack of computers and the subsequent re-localisation of economy being a nice twist.
I haven’t played Technobabylon yet… I think it’s high time I tried it Grin

I guess that is where I somewhat disagree, I hated seeing the ghost at all the scenes still when I didnt have the guy that could talk to them in unavowed. Plus I constantly wondered if the scene would have been better with different partners. the game even does take control for you once and awhile, one time I didnt have the fire mage and the game made him join my party. while both games are short I felt it was made worse in unavowed bc they had so many characters and the only one I felt connected to was the fire mage. Plus I dont like the whole silent protagonist in general.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I loved the ghostie in Whispers of the Machine. Made me wonder if I was sane at all. AGOTY is plainly pointed at WOTM. Yes it is THAT good.

I will play again, loving the shapeshifting detective right now.

Gotta love the variety we get right now, I am lovin’ it anyway.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-07-27

PM

Playing Runaway - A Road Adventure at the moment. Just arrived at Douglasville and exploring town. Overall a nice game but the pixel hunting can be quite annoying and some of the video sequences are rather long. Do the sequels have this in common? I do appreciate the fact though that the protagonist Brian doesn’t want to just randomly pick up every single object he comes across, but only after he finds out a potential purpose for it.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Playing Whispers of A Machine for the 2nd time. Quite fun.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top