• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Oscar - 07 February 2018 10:04 PM
Karlok - 05 February 2018 12:37 PM

I bought it and played for about an hour. Haven’t solved much yet, lots of walking around, finding stuff. I will get back to it later, when I’ve finished two other adventures. It’s a typical Knut Mueller game. His puzzles are good, no question about it, but I’d forgotten how awkward the interface is. You’d think he would want to modernize his game design a bit.

I thought exactly the same thing. This interface seems worse than RHEM’s. I get this flickering effect on the cursor which is very annoying. And in 2018 I should definitely not be having to manually set my monitor to 4:3 aspect ratio.

I read something he posted about RHEM 5 a while ago, not sure when or where, but some time in the last year or so. I tried to find it, no luck. But anyway, he used Macromedia Director for the first 4 RHEM games, already a dated program. He had planned to connect them all with the 5th one being the finale, but Macromedia Director was bought out by Adobe. New company, updated program, so he was no longer able to do what he had originally planned, all his ideas and work to that point where at a dead end! He didn’t give up though, now he is doing the Special Editions of each RHEM game, with the Adobe Director I think?! I may be wrong, but regardless he is rerendering every game at a higher definition with additional content, but still very low to today’s standard. He’s just trying to do what he originally planned. Yes, it’s old school 4:3 but still, gotta give props for him to continue working on his passion! Especially after said situation.

Maybe some one else that reads this will be able to find and post his explanation, to better understand an old school dev in the tech of today! And before anyone attacks me, this post isn’t an excuse, but a hopeful understanding!

Regardless, Knut has to do as we all do and keep up with this ever changing tech world! But it’s much easier said than done! RHEM was and is his baby, a one man project, with a little help from his friends.

So with that said, yes I enjoyed Lisssn! It’s not perfect and yes it’s dated; I hope he and Robert will not be dragged down, but continue to create more puzzle adventures for people of all ages! After all, that’s why we are here and connect, for the love of adventure games, right? Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I wasn’t attacking Knut Mueller, Sir. I was criticizing him.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sir Beardalot - 08 February 2018 01:45 AM
Oscar - 07 February 2018 10:04 PM
Karlok - 05 February 2018 12:37 PM

I bought it and played for about an hour. Haven’t solved much yet, lots of walking around, finding stuff. I will get back to it later, when I’ve finished two other adventures. It’s a typical Knut Mueller game. His puzzles are good, no question about it, but I’d forgotten how awkward the interface is. You’d think he would want to modernize his game design a bit.

I thought exactly the same thing. This interface seems worse than RHEM’s. I get this flickering effect on the cursor which is very annoying. And in 2018 I should definitely not be having to manually set my monitor to 4:3 aspect ratio.

I read something he posted about RHEM 5 a while ago, not sure when or where, but some time in the last year or so. I tried to find it, no luck. But anyway, he used Macromedia Director for the first 4 RHEM games, already a dated program. He had planned to connect them all with the 5th one being the finale, but Macromedia Director was bought out by Adobe. New company, updated program, so he was no longer able to do what he had originally planned, all his ideas and work to that point where at a dead end! He didn’t give up though, now he is doing the Special Editions of each RHEM game, with the Adobe Director I think?! I may be wrong, but regardless he is rerendering every game at a higher definition with additional content, but still very low to today’s standard. He’s just trying to do what he originally planned. Yes, it’s old school 4:3 but still, gotta give props for him to continue working on his passion! Especially after said situation.

That’s fine for RHEM, but what about Lisssn? It’s a standalone game. And I’m not sure why all the RHEM games need to have the exact same engine to be “connected” anyway. The Myst series evolved, can’t RHEM too?

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Karlok - 08 February 2018 09:22 AM

I wasn’t attacking Knut Mueller, Sir. I was criticizing him.

I wasn’t accusing you of such, sorry if it came across that way Meh

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I had some of my nicest AHA-moments solving the clever RHEM puzzles. And I’m sure I’ll enjoy Lisssn too once I get my teeth into it. But I agree with Oscar that the flickering cursor is very annoying.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m currently playing Yesterday Origins - it was on sale at Steam but in all honesty if I’d played the demo 1st I would never have bought it due to the horrendous controls which I’ve found worse than in anything else I’ve ever played! Their awkwardness certainly has marred my enjoyment of the game but I’ve persisted & got over it as much as I can as the story is luring me enough to continue!  Laughing

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2018-01-27

PM

Hi chrissie, I was on the fence about buying it the other day. May I ask how the controls actually work? Isn’t this game a typical point and click? If it isn’t I’ll sadly be turned off too.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

That’s way over the top saying they are the worst controls ever. They are basically point & click with a slightly weird system for examining objects in close up.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Luhr28 - 10 February 2018 07:18 PM

That’s way over the top saying they are the worst controls ever. They are basically point & click with a slightly weird system for examining objects in close up.

I didn’t actually state that the game had the worst controls ever but I did say they were worse than in anything I’ve played & since you have no knowledge of the extent of the games + control systems I have experienced your accusation is based on misreading/misinterpreting what I have said which, whatever, is just plain unhelpful.

The game, yes, is in theory a point & click but I would echo the negative point from the review here that mentions “inefficient cursor - hotspot interactivity” which amounts to more than ‘a slightly weird system for examining objects in close-up’.

Bluamy, the game (as it’s available on Xbox also) does recommend using a controller rather than a mouse which could contribute to the interface being a little less clumsy? I found it well worth persevering with (despite using a mouse) but there’s a free demo on Steam if you want to try (even if you don’t want to buy it from Steam. I would also recommend reading the review here + the one over at GameBoomers as that has a quite a bit of detail about the interface which explains it quite well!     
  Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Bluamy - 10 February 2018 06:29 PM

Hi chrissie, I was on the fence about buying it the other day. May I ask how the controls actually work? Isn’t this game a typical point and click? If it isn’t I’ll sadly be turned off too.

from Yesterday: Origins thread

Advie - 20 December 2016 11:13 AM

but NOW after playing and finishing it, i say stay away from this rubbish.
3 screens at a time, with many of these close-ups on items, still shots! to make just much frustrating and as well giving the minimum locations exploration isn’t any good.

i know that Microids will use thw same technique at the new Syberia, i don’t care about Pendulo’s anymore, its history for me, but please don’t ruin Kate’s world.

Total Posts: 1254

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

You are right, examining objects is awkward, but when you get used to it, the story worths it, meanly the flashbacks.

In fact, it says at the beginning a control is recommended.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 11 February 2018 01:35 PM

author=“Advie” date=“1482250395”]but NOW after playing and finishing it, i say stay away from this rubbish.
3 screens at a time, with many of these close-ups on items, still shots! to make just much frustrating and as well giving the minimum locations exploration isn’t any good

Shame on you Advie for ever describing a game as ‘rubbish’!  Pan  Pan  Pan

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

walas74 - 11 February 2018 01:38 PM

You are right, examining objects is awkward, but when you get used to it, the story worths it, meanly the flashbacks.

In fact, it says at the beginning a control(er) is recommended.

edited

Agree!!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

That was a quick back-track!  Laughing

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 11 February 2018 01:44 PM
Advie - 11 February 2018 01:35 PM

author=“Advie” date=“1482250395”]but NOW after playing and finishing it, i say stay away from this rubbish.
3 screens at a time, with many of these close-ups on items, still shots! to make just much frustrating and as well giving the minimum locations exploration isn’t any good

Shame on you Advie for ever describing a game as ‘rubbish’!  Pan  Pan  Pan

ye look from a very tiny scoop to the whole of what i said, and i am not taking replies to this statement.

what Micriods did to Pendulo at yesterday origins is truely Rubbish, in another way maybe simplier said; i want my developer Pendulo Studio back!!

Add: you may need to check the Yesterday Origins whole thread so you wont be reading and understanding something outta its context.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top