• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

tsa - 06 August 2017 10:16 AM
subbi - 06 August 2017 09:07 AM

Sherlock Holmes and the case of the serrated scalpel actually can be played via ScummVM, which requires even less configuration and runs quite smoothly.

ScummVM doesn’t emulate DOS but, to the level I understand it, has various game engines implemented within the system, so it only requires certain assets to be available for the engine to us. This works also for most Sierra games these days.

I read that too but I couldn’t find a link that points to a ScummVM version and also works. So I settled for the DOSBox version, which is a pity because allegedly the ScummVM version has talkies.

Not sure I understand what you mean by version, but if you mean that there are different versions of Case of the Serrated Scalpel, then there is only the floppy disk version and CD-Rom version, but I don’t think there is actually any difference.
I have the CD-Rom version, but it doesn’t have any additional benefits over the floppy disk version. (Even the hi-res visuals as an optional choice is also included in the floppy disk version I believe) and neither version have voices beyond the introduction.

Both versions work fine both in DosBox and ScummVM. ScummVM actually requires the game to be installed to be able to access the assets (at the least the CD-Rom version requires this) and ScummVM does not offer any support for that, so I needed Dosbox to get the game installed. Once installed, just point ScummVM to the game directory and it works fine.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

tsa - 05 August 2017 11:06 AM

Toby’s Nose

So I played it yesterday, and I wholeheartedly recommend it, it’s one of the most pleasant text adventures I’ve played (though I’m not a connoisseur of the genre, so I don’t know if that means much). The smelling-inside-the-smells mechanics works beautifully, giving evocative results, sometimes poetic and always funny, plus the clues come together nicely at the end. There’s a handy hint system that can highlight important words if you’re lost, but even with that on, it’s too tempting to smell everything since the descriptions are as worthy of your time as the mystery itself Grin. Thanks for puting it on the radar!

It put me in the mood for more offbeat text adventures, I’m now playing Galatea, an interactive fiction in which you have a conversation with a living statue. As the author states, “there’s no puzzle and no set solution, but a number of options with a number of different outcomes”. You’re free to experiment, but I gather there are many different “stories” you can achieve to tell. I find the premise very engaging.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

this is the smartest thread daily grabber kinda ever made, tho many have had aimed and shot the similar formula before, (even me included).. but there is a big difference whom who had it brought up, from and ugly bad mouth kinda creature like me to an adorable lady as chrissie

there no pinch jealousy here at all, as much as there is love (and respect).

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

NickyLarson - 09 August 2017 12:35 PM
tsa - 05 August 2017 11:06 AM

Toby’s Nose

So I played it yesterday, and I wholeheartedly recommend it, it’s one of the most pleasant text adventures I’ve played (though I’m not a connoisseur of the genre, so I don’t know if that means much). The smelling-inside-the-smells mechanics works beautifully, giving evocative results, sometimes poetic and always funny, plus the clues come together nicely at the end. There’s a handy hint system that can highlight important words if you’re lost, but even with that on, it’s too tempting to smell everything since the descriptions are as worthy of your time as the mystery itself Grin. Thanks for puting it on the radar!

Wow, you finished it already? That is quick! I’m kind of stuck at the moment so I need to smell everyone again Smile

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 09 August 2017 01:09 PM

this is the smartest thread daily grabber kinda ever made, tho many have had aimed and shot the similar formula before, (even me included).. but there is a big difference whom who had it brought up, from and ugly bad mouth kinda creature like me to an adorable lady as chrissie

there no pinch jealousy here at all, as much as there is love (and respect).

Thank you Advie! I’ve had such a RL crap week I really appreciate your lovely post!  Heart But erm…....I just hate to mention that this thread is the ‘sister’ of (or should it be brother?) started by the equally adorable Oscar to complement my ‘What Game Have You Just Finished ?’ thread Laughing

I’m delighted that both threads have given a simple avenue to post what you’re all up to + I enjoy reading all the posts immensely which do help when I’m considering whether I want to play a game or not! Smile

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

tsa - 09 August 2017 02:01 PM

Wow, you finished it already? That is quick! I’m kind of stuck at the moment so I need to smell everyone again Smile

I must confess to taking advantage of the “sharpen scent” hint system that highlights important clues. There were notably two things I wouldn’t have thought of sniffing, and doing so granted me access to several new scenes. The good thing is, you can turn it off at any time - but of course, it will be even better if you manage to finish the game without using it at all! I just really wanted to finish it last night, so I gave in Foot in mouth ... only a bit though Wink. It also helped that I started taking notes early in the game, as even though you retain memory of all decisive evidence in your “inventory”, it doesn’t specify to whom they belong or where you smelled them, and that information is capital to solving the crime. Good luck and have fun sniffing around Grin

I concur that this thread and the “What Game Have You Just Finished?” one are great ways to discover new games and get insights from different players, they never fail to inspire!  Heart

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Ah, that’s it Smile. I want to finish it with sharpened scent off. I do make notes because it’s impossible to remember all the information. I also have the ‘problem’ that I don’t really have enough time to play it. So it will take much longer than necessary, because I have to read my notes all the time and re-smell things constantly. But I love the game: the way it’s written is very very good, and the way it slowly releases more and more information is tantalizing.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

subbi - 07 August 2017 03:32 PM
tsa - 06 August 2017 10:16 AM
subbi - 06 August 2017 09:07 AM

Sherlock Holmes and the case of the serrated scalpel actually can be played via ScummVM, which requires even less configuration and runs quite smoothly.

ScummVM doesn’t emulate DOS but, to the level I understand it, has various game engines implemented within the system, so it only requires certain assets to be available for the engine to us. This works also for most Sierra games these days.

I read that too but I couldn’t find a link that points to a ScummVM version and also works. So I settled for the DOSBox version, which is a pity because allegedly the ScummVM version has talkies.

Not sure I understand what you mean by version, but if you mean that there are different versions of Case of the Serrated Scalpel, then there is only the floppy disk version and CD-Rom version, but I don’t think there is actually any difference.
I have the CD-Rom version, but it doesn’t have any additional benefits over the floppy disk version. (Even the hi-res visuals as an optional choice is also included in the floppy disk version I believe) and neither version have voices beyond the introduction.

Both versions work fine both in DosBox and ScummVM. ScummVM actually requires the game to be installed to be able to access the assets (at the least the CD-Rom version requires this) and ScummVM does not offer any support for that, so I needed Dosbox to get the game installed. Once installed, just point ScummVM to the game directory and it works fine.

I tried this last night and indeed it works! Only I couldn’t reach my saved files in ScummVM, so I will play through the game in DOSBox. But it’s good to know that this is possible. ScummVM is a lot more user-friendly than DOS.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2017-08-07

PM

chrissie - 07 August 2017 09:55 AM

Hi hodepine & welcome to Adventure Gamers! Smile

A few of us took part in a Community Playthrough for IHNMAIMS a few years ago HERE
Just scroll down, if you’re interested, towards the bottom of the page to post #59 to get past the initial chitchat. Laughing

Thank you chrissie! I will check it out.
Guess I had my fair share of bad endings, doomed for eternity and such. And noticed that I missed a thing or two in the process that influenced the outcome. Anyways this game won a place in my top list.

Edit: About the Community Playthrough, how can I join? I see that you’re playing Sinking Island, but how does the playthrough work? Is there a specific day I should start playing something?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi hodepine, the playthrough for Sinking Island has only just started. The idea for the CPTs is that we have a playthrough leader for the game who sets the pace by giving a certain amount of time to play up to a specific stopping point during which time players post comments about anything to do with the game up to that stopping point.

No need to apply, just join in! If you go to post #10 of the Sinking Island playthough thread leader Iznogood has given until Monday(14th) to play along until the protagonist gets a phone call from his wife. If most participants have caught up by then Iznogood will post the next stopping point & how many days you have to get there.
It’s quite a nice way (or can be) to have a more in depth discussion about a game as it goes along.     
Smile

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Argh, if I had the time I would have joined you! I’ve been planning to replay SI for a while now.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Just got three adventure games on the PS4, for me - 2017 is a banner year:

Dreamfall Chapters

Town of Light

Silvercase

Of the three, I am playing Dreamfall Chapters which I love so far.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2017-08-07

PM

Currently playing Life is Strange. I’m starting the 4th episode today at night!

First two episodes were really interesting in terms of story development and gameplay but in the third one I felt like I was inside a teen movie messing around without purpose, specially at the pool. Chloe is unstoppable and I god bored of her pretty fast. Probably I was playing the game too fast, but I had plenty of time in my hands this weekend.

When I rewind actions I sometimes get stuck and can’t go forward, stop or rewind. The game stays like freezed, but without crashing. Max says something like “I need either to go back or stop here” but no controls work anymore and I need to restart from the last checkpoint. No biggie, though, it just happened 3 times and now I can control it better.

I still have “The Butterfly Effect” movie very present in my memory and some moments in the game reminded me of it. Also, “13 Reasons Why” obviously connected with the bullying and its consequences.

This game is being a different experience, a bit more cinematic than I am used to, but I feel myself involved in the story so much I just want to get home and continue playing it.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

hodepine - 04 September 2017 05:15 AM

Currently playing Life is Strange. I’m starting the 4th episode today at night!

First two episodes were really interesting in terms of story development and gameplay but in the third one I felt like I was inside a teen movie messing around without purpose, specially at the pool. Chloe is unstoppable and I god bored of her pretty fast. Probably I was playing the game too fast, but I had plenty of time in my hands this weekend.

When I rewind actions I sometimes get stuck and can’t go forward, stop or rewind. The game stays like freezed, but without crashing. Max says something like “I need either to go back or stop here” but no controls work anymore and I need to restart from the last checkpoint. No biggie, though, it just happened 3 times and now I can control it better.

I still have “The Butterfly Effect” movie very present in my memory and some moments in the game reminded me of it. Also, “13 Reasons Why” obviously connected with the bullying and its consequences.

This game is being a different experience, a bit more cinematic than I am used to, but I feel myself involved in the story so much I just want to get home and continue playing it.

What did you think about the ending of the 3rd episode? That’s the most “Butterfly Effect” movie part

Joined 2017-08-07

PM

Yes, the episode ending was too close to “Butterfly Effect”, maybe a bit too much. But the idea behind the Chaos Theory was well put. After all, we didn’t actually see any brutal changes in Max’s universe until then, because they didn’t have time to develop. I think now she will gain a better conscience about what does it mean to save someone’s life and/or to change an event of some sort. Maybe the tornado has something to do with it but I still didn’t get there Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top