• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I just beat Quest For Glory V: Dragon something!

Yay
I was stuck for a month or so, I think, and I still don’t feel like it was my fault I was stuck.  I did in fact try to look for ferrari before, and I just couldn’t find him ARGH.
And then the story moved on, even though it was seemingly unrelated.

I was very prepared for this game to be worse than the other QFG’s, and while I maintain 1, 2, 4, are masterpieces, 5 is just beneath that with 3 coming in way, way behind the others.  I think the most controversial thing about this game is that the battle screen is not a separate screen like we’ve been used to.

I think the 3-d in this game is actually quite good, and doesn’t detract from the experience, very much like The Longest Journey.

@ Russ869
I don’t know what’s wrong with me
that I love these david cage games so much.
but just for fun, I have to say I think fahrenheit is the worst of all of them, and not because of the age:

1. Detroit Become Human
2. Heavy Rain
3. Omikron
4. Beyond: two souls
5. indigo prophecy

Sadly fahrenheit/indigo just ends when you do the wrong thing, and the black character… borders on racist sometimes.  I was enamored with this game when it first came out, and I ALMOST bought the collector’s edition on limited run, but I already own it…  And then the story just… splits off from the group and does it’s own thing.

Detroit really succeeds for me in creating a cinematic experience and is one of the best examples of a video game tackling social issues, like civil rights movements.  And at least it’s very consistent experience.

I used to be a big hater of Heavy Rain, but now I’m enamored with it too.  Murder Mystery fiction at it’s finest really.

Beyond: Two souls is admittedly one of my favorite games ever, but I’ve not yet got to explore the whole game in co-op, which I think is a brilliant and interesting way to interact with the game, and it suffers for the action sections, and the whole desert section with the horse.  I would love to see this game revisited, and to make the action sequences work better.

Omikron is incredibly rad to me, and I really connected with it’s world until it broke the 4th wall.  Problem is, it tries WAY too many things, and sucks at most of them.  The adventure game parts are super fun, but the fighting is cheap, and I can only spam buttons to win, and the shooting parts are just awful on Dreamcast.  I assume if I played it on PC, it would play a lot better.  When it’s just a few guys I have to shoot, no problem, and even it makes sense with the story, but then some boss shows up, and I just can’t make any progress!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

russ869 - 30 June 2020 11:04 PM

Uh… I thought you said you weren’t a killer.  Unless you only meant that when you’re roleplaying Ethan.

Yeah, of course, when roleplaying as “good guy” Ethan.
I killed people with the other characters, but those were more or less justifiable / self-defense. Ethan’s would have been cold-blooded murder. Not my style.
Drug-dealer or not, I wasn’t going to go through with it, but the second he mentioned he had kids, I definitely wasn’t going to go through with it… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I finished Portal 2.
Similar excellent learning curve and difficulty curve as the first game, now with two more characters providing hilarious lines… Grin
I particularly enjoyed all the Cave Johnson shenanigans (leave it to J.K. Simmons to turn those recordings into pure comedy gold). “We fire the whole bullet! That’s 65% more bullet per bullet!” Grin
Immediately explains why we can take so many bullets ourselves before going down… Tongue

It’s a lot longer than the first game, and brings some needed new mechanics into the mix that work really well. And all the different sections in the game end *just* before they outstay their welcome (just like the first game did). The game shouldn’t have been any longer, though.
The ending is a bit out there, but it works.

I had a lot of fun with this game! But I’m not going to bother with the co-op mode, though… Sealed Lips

Portal 2 - 4/5

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I had the opposite feeling about Co-op!

I beat portal 2 either this year or late last year, so it’s still fresh on my mind.

I was immediately asking my friends to come play co-op with me, because they said it’s a whole new set of puzzles!!  Nice!  Sometimes I just want MORE PORTAL!

And yeah, Cave Johnsons’ tirade against lemons is just hilarious.
Sometimes when I need to be cheered up, I search for “portal lemons” on youtube.
Hearing glaDos in the back ground just make me smile everytime.
“Yeah! Take the Lemons!”

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And burn down Life’s house! WITH THE LEMONS!!! Grin

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I just finished Argonus and the Gods of Stone, a 1st person open-world adventure made by Shadowgate developers. It is a solid game set in Greek mythology, where you play as Argonus, who has to find what has happened on the island he has shipwrecked on; all the people of the island have turned to stone, so he has to clean up the messes of the gods.

The puzzle design is at times a bit old-school, but I did like the game overall. It’s also on sale in Steam, so if you like Greek mythology, I’d recommend giving it a glance.

I wrote a longer review for my blog: https://bit.ly/3eZxJ7Z

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finally decided to play Shivers 2 and boy, what a fine puzzle-adventure it was, another hidden gem from Sierra. For some reason I expected a barely interactive poorly executed FMV horror similar to Phantasmagoria 2. But the creators (the original team behind Shivers led by Marcia Bales whose only works at Sierra include those two games) stayed true to their origins while improving everything that needed improvement.

For starters, there’s a whole ghost town built on Indian burials, not just some empty museum. What’s even better is that instead of slideshows there are panoramic screens with a 360º look, which is the first and the last Sierra adventure of this sort I think. The game is so open and non-linear that you can basically go and explore every street and house right from the start. Some doors are locked and some events should be triggered first, but the number of things you can do at once is overwhelming. You’ll learn about the former inhabitants and their dirty secrets through diaries, letters, notes and answering machines as they quite enjoyed leaving messages to each other.

Puzzles are much more inventive (and hard) this time, varying from memory games and cracking codes to some really cool ideas like leading a spider through a maze with multicolored traps. Of course, there are some overused puzzles as well, especially of the tangram sort which you have to solve multiple times. While they are kinda related to the story, I see how people are getting frustrated by them (personally I just happen to love tangram puzzles). There is also a proper inventory and proper inventory puzzles now as well as many hidden things to look for, and that’s my favourite part.

While the main goal is somewhat similar to Shivers, the story itself has absolutely no relation to it. You are searching for your friends, a fictional rock band who disappeared in the town along with its inhabitants. Before that they had shot a bunch of music videos shown on TV sets scattered around the town. Apparently some evil force used those clips to hypnotize already corrupted and unpleasant town dwellers following his incredibly silly revenge plot. But you’ll soon learn that those clips (which are pretty cool on their own) contain some hints - both text or visual - intentionally left for you that will help to solve puzzles or guide you to some hidden spots. Figuring them out is a lot of fun.

The band itself feels pretty authentic, with the 1980s vibe. Of course, rock is not the only music heard in the game, the soundtrack - once again composed by Guy Whitmore - is one of the best parts of Shivers 2, with many short darkly atmospheric electronic tracks.

So there is plenty to do and see here. Although, despite there’s a functional map, running back and forth does get a bit tiresome after awhile, and even with the whole B-movie thing going on the final was too much for me. There is also an option to automatically solve puzzles. Ironically I solved all the “puzzle” puzzles (which is the hardest part of the game) by myself while got stuck several times trying to figure out the developer’s moon logic at hiding clues. But that’s not big deal. As I said, they did a hell of a job, especially during those times when Sierra was nearing its end.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

@Doom
So there is this channel on youtube called “metaljesusrocks”
and they have an episode where they talk about working at sierra,
but more specifically working on Shivers II where they did all this unpaid work as voice-actors, on-screen talent, and as models for the band Trip Cyclone.

Calling it interesting might be a stretch but I was surprised to learn that sierra couldnt even pay them for coming on a weekend,
and that Paul from Ace of Cakes is a cross-dresser in Phantasmagoria II, much less the voice for a character in shivers II.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I remember Shivers2 getting horrible reviews at the time, I think that was what stopped me from trying it.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Celebreon - 30 June 2020 11:40 PM

I just beat Quest For Glory V: Dragon something!

I reached the point on QFGV where I was wandering around the map looking for things to do. I thought the game was incomplete. Never finished it.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Luhr28 - 05 July 2020 10:38 PM

I reached the point on QFGV where I was wandering around the map looking for things to do. I thought the game was incomplete. Never finished it.

In my opinion it’s next to last in the series, with 3 being the one I REALLY dislike.

And QFGV gives you pretty explicit details on what is expected of you, I thought.

As long as you talk to EVERYONE after each rite starts, usually it’s pretty simple in terms of figuring out what to do and where to go.

I think it’s worth of a play through, and I don’t think people should shy away from hints on this one.  Most of it you can just figure out, but like I mentioned previously

to get the end-game set into motion, you have to do something entirely unrelated, and then get attack at just the right place in just the right time.

QFG IV had a similar thing where it would be very easy to be stuck with no leads because you get mixed messages, like a door being locked and empty, and then later, it has someone in it that is mandatory for progression.  Or something happens on one night, which would be easy to miss if you… say slept in erana’s garden that night, something that seems right at the time.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Celebreon - 05 July 2020 10:26 PM

@Doom
So there is this channel on youtube called “metaljesusrocks”
and they have an episode where they talk about working at sierra,
but more specifically working on Shivers II where they did all this unpaid work as voice-actors, on-screen talent, and as models for the band Trip Cyclone

Never heard of those guys, but it’s always nice to hear stories about Sierra and the 1990s gaming companies in general before they were swallowed by fat ugly moguls with their fake corporate culture. Although they talk about partying for the most part) And Sierra was famous for using staff whenever possible which is also a sign of those times. There’s one room in Shivers 2 with a card game and a portrait of Al Lowe in a cowboy hat besides. Personally I’m fine with it as long as amateur acting is not overused like in the Phantasmagoria series.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

It is true. When it comes to QFG, 3 and 5 are the problem games. The rest are ridiculously good. If you havent already do yourself a favor and play hero-u. It has some typical qfg-like flaws (the combat is “okay”).. but all in all its a very nice experience and IMO is better than 3 or 5.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Celebreon - 06 July 2020 02:15 PM
Luhr28 - 05 July 2020 10:38 PM

In my opinion it’s next to last in the series, with 3 being the one I REALLY dislike.

And QFGV gives you pretty explicit details on what is expected of you, I thought.

As long as you talk to EVERYONE after each rite starts, usually it’s pretty simple in terms of figuring out what to do and where to go.

I think it’s worth of a play through, and I don’t think people should shy away from hints on this one.  Most of it you can just figure out, but like I mentioned previously

to get the end-game set into motion, you have to do something entirely unrelated, and then get attack at just the right place in just the right time.

QFG IV had a similar thing where it would be very easy to be stuck with no leads because you get mixed messages, like a door being locked and empty, and then later, it has someone in it that is mandatory for progression.  Or something happens on one night, which would be easy to miss if you… say slept in erana’s garden that night, something that seems right at the time.

I think QFG3 I played the first so I have some fond memories. Later I replayed it I realized just how incomplete it is as a game, although I still like the unique setting and the graphics.

I also remember spending most of my time on the map screen having the make long journeys across the desert - possibly every day because I needed to sleep in the starting area? That was the same issue I had with Hero-U. There are certain mundane tasks to perform each day so when I got those done and got around to the ‘adventuring’ part, it was nearly the end of the day. And at a certain time (midnight?) the game plonks you back in your bedroom, because obviously as a university student you need your precious sleep and can’t do with sleeping in a dungeon just the one time Grin
It was annoying, to say the least

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

So now that I’ve beat the QFG series, I’m debating between starting three games that are supposedly similar:

Quest for infamy
Heroine’s Quest
Hero-U

Which one do you think is best?
And then also, since I beat QFG series with mage, I need to do a thief run next.

I’m open to suggestions, especially if some of these are “better” than others.

I did boot up heroine’s quest for five minutes one day, and it is GORGEOUS!

But also, I just want to be an evil sorcerer <3

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top