• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

boldy50

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do we need to evaluate/discuss Daedalic’s achievements & future ?

Poll: What is your favourite Daedalic game so far?
Total Votes: 86
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
The Whispered World
A New Beginning
Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
Deponia
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Chaos on Deponia
The Night of the Rabbit
Memoria
Goodbye Deponia
Fire

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I wouldn’t get too excited about this announcement. Here’s the rest of Fichtelmann’s quote from the press release that wasn’t in the Destructoid piece:

Long time fans of Daedalic’s trademark adventure games will be well catered for throughout 2019 as well: “Adventures have always been a cornerstone of our success. Our community can look forward to some of our most popular and iconic titles becoming available for consoles throughout the year. Plans to bring the Deponia series to console were already announced for with Goodbye Deponia being available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launching just last week.

That’s not to say that there will be nothing new for adventure game fans. But it’s safe to say they’re focusing most of their efforts on non-adventure IP.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah im not getting hyped up for new releases until i see a lot of specifics. So far they seem to be staying the course on rpgs/sims and porting adventures to consoles (goodbye deponia to ps4, that was so sudden and random). If theyr using consoles ports to test the waters on whether they should make more adventures then it is quite surely doomed. The 3 people who buy a new beginning on ps4 will surely agree Tongue

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Not to defend them but for my adventure game Demetrios, the PS4 version is by far the one which sold the best. (Steam only second)

Some figures here :

For my new adventure game in the making, I’m making sure it can be perfectly playable for both mouse AND gamepads from the start Smile

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

zane - 08 February 2019 03:55 PM

porting adventures to consoles (goodbye deponia to ps4, that was so sudden and random).

That’s been a bit weird on Xbox One too. They released Chaos on Deponia first. Goodbye Deponia has just released, Deponia Doomsday will launch at the end of this month, then the first game in the series will launch at the end of March.

Not sure why they didn’t start with the first game in the series and go from there.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

COWCAT - 08 February 2019 04:03 PM

Not to defend them but for my adventure game Demetrios, the PS4 version is by far the one which sold the best. (Steam only second)

Some figures here :

For my new adventure game in the making, I’m making sure it can be perfectly playable for both mouse AND gamepads from the start Smile

The biggest surprise to me on your chart is, that Android version seems to be selling better than iOS. You often hear that Android games don’t sell that well and usually are behind Apple, but at least for you, it seems to be a bit different.

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

tomimt - 09 February 2019 11:50 AM
COWCAT - 08 February 2019 04:03 PM

Some figures here :

The biggest surprise to me on your chart is, that Android version seems to be selling better than iOS. You often hear that Android games don’t sell that well and usually are behind Apple, but at least for you, it seems to be a bit different.

I’ve heard this too. In my case, I suspect this is due to a different monetization model. For technical reasons, the iOS version is a one-time purchase (it was $4.99 at first but I reduced the price to $2.99 pretty fast) while for the Android version, the first chapter is free and the 5 next chapters are $0.99 each. (separate apps)

The iOS version had a VERY good start, it even reached the top 10 paid apps during one or two weeks! And then… nothing. I guess it was featured for a while but when it stopped, it had no visibility at all. The Android version did the exact opposite - I barely sold one unit during the first weeks but after a month it started getting noticed (by the PlayStore algorithm, I guess) and it’s doing regular sales. (though nothing amazing)

Overall the mobile versions barely made any money (especially compared to consoles) so I’m not sure I will bother with mobile for my next game. If I do, I’ll probably adopt the usual “free game with DLC” route by offering first chapter and make each additional one a DLC. Kinda like the Android version but all in one single app. I don’t like this monetization model myself but it seems to be what works best on mobile for adventures…

If you’d like to know more, I’ve written a DETAILED Post Mortem of the development of my game here : https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/FabriceBreton/20180530/318764/quotDemetriosquot_Post_Mortem__The_lowest_budget_adventure_game_on_all_gaming_platforms.php

NB : Sorry for the offtopic. Just hoping Daedalic has more “classic” adventure games in their pipelines, my favorites from them are still The Whispered World (the original, haven’t played the “sequel”) and the Deponia series.

EDIT : Just noticed Daedelic answered one of my tweets! It confirms they don’t intend to use their “games as a service” model for upcoming adventure games :

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I was about to start a new thread concerning Daedalic, but i remembered this thread Laughing

The question now as we all now that Daedalic, had taken step back for while from classic adventures we loved it for, is; can we consider it (Daedalic) now as one of the legendary devs of adventure gaming with a legacy such Revolution Cyan, LucasArts Sierra’s,  ..etc? or it didn’t thrive enough to own a legacy?

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Advie - 24 July 2019 07:32 PM

I was about to start a new thread concerning Daedalic, but i remembered this thread Laughing

The question now as we all now that Daedalic, had taken step back for while from classic adventures we loved it for, is; can we consider it (Daedalic) now as one of the legendary devs of adventure gaming with a legacy such Revolution Cyan, LucasArts Sierra’s,  ..etc? or it didn’t thrive enough to own a legacy?

Thing is, even though Daedalic made a bunch of AGs, none of them stand up to me as classics. Most of their games are ok, but lack that little something that makes a game stick.
So I would say no.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ninth - 25 July 2019 04:39 AM
Advie - 24 July 2019 07:32 PM

Thing is, even though Daedalic made a bunch of AGs, none of them stand up to me as classics. Most of their games are ok, but lack that little something that makes a game stick.
So I would say no.

The Whispered World and Edna&Harvey; are standouts in its generation, and to me they are classics. It’s just that they (Daedalic) didn’t last long enough. If Lucas Arts/Sierra are The Beatles/Rolling Stones, Daedalic would be The Animals.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

diego - 25 July 2019 04:49 AM

The Whispered World and Edna&Harvey; are standouts in its generation, and to me they are classics. It’s just that they (Daedalic) didn’t last long enough. If Lucas Arts/Sierra are The Beatles/Rolling Stones, Daedalic would be The Animals.

The Whispered World is my favorite among their games (haven’t played Edna, the graphics put me off), but it comes after all these others developers game and doesn’t really bring anything new or special to the table, it’s funny but not hilarious, the story and writing are ok but not breathtaking, the puzzles aren’t really special… It’s excellent quality, but for the reasons listed above I don’t really see it enduring the passing of time as all the other classics have. I could say the same for Kheops, for example, their games were nice but don’t really stand out.

Edit : you’re right in that WW stands out in its generation, but it’s not really the most inspiring generation in my opinion.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

To have a legacy you need to have influenced others, and I don’t see many developers coming out with Edna & Harvey or The Whispered World clones like we did with Myst and Lucasarts. I would group Daedalic in with Kheops, Cryo, Microids, Amanita. Companies which you could usually depend on for a solid game, with the rare classic (Edna & Harvey) and the rare stinker (Fire).

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Vehelon - 25 July 2019 05:02 AM

I would group Daedalic in with Kheops, Cryo, Microids, Amanita. Companies which you could usually depend on for a solid game, with the rare classic (Edna & Harvey) and the rare stinker (Fire).

Cryo made a few revolutionnary games in its early days, namely Dune and Commander Blood, which I would classify as classics. Lost Eden was also very ambitious (and I was hyped ot no end back then), but ended up a very short game with an extremely repetitive gameplay.

I agree with the rest of the list though.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Poll needs an update myfavourite Daedalic game so far, Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

To me they are the top of the cream - as far as graphics are concerned. Their 2D hand drawn art style is absolutely gorgeous and no other adventure game company compares to it IMO.

The same can’t be said on the content side but still, I considered The Whispered World and Deponia as a renaissance for the genre back when I first played them. It always surprises me how many people despise Whispered World because I absolutely loved this game and its universe - maybe because the French voice actor wasn’t as bad as the English one?

Same thing for A New Beginning which I really liked despite its flaws.

I admit I’m a bit sick of Deponia after playing the latest entry (Doomsday) which, aside from graphics, is a real pain and a total disaster compared to the first entries. I couldn’t even finish it.

I would say they may not be classics but Daedalic games are much more enjoyable to play than all post-Walking Dead Telltale games combined. At least they have puzzles to make you think…

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

COWCAT - 26 July 2019 08:03 AM

maybe because the French voice actor wasn’t as bad as the English one?

Yes, the voice acting in english was one complaint I heard a lot, but the french voices are pretty good.

I agree that Daedalic games are beautiful, but to me they’re lacking in the writing departement.
I especially hate the Deponia games humour, and had much more fun with the much less ambitious Dark Detective which made me realise how much I had missed the writing in the old Lucas Arts (edit : and some Sierra) games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top