• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

3D Platformer Recommendations?

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I recently picked up Alice: Madness returns in the recent summer sales.  I am really loving it (except for the game-killing crashes from the DRM - oh, how I hate you EA/Origin!).  I never picked it up before because for some reason I thought it was a FPS (which I don’t play).  I was wondering if people could recommend other quality recent 3D platformers.  The only other ones I could think of were the Ratchet and Clank series (which I have played and like a lot).  What am I missing?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I don’t know of any recent 3D platformers that are all that great other than the obvious Ratchet & Clank stuff and Super Mario Galaxy. However, if you haven’t played the original three Crash Bandicoot games I urge you to pick those up on PSN.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Pychonauts.

If you had a wii then the 2 Super Mario Galaxy games are a must.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

Likewise, if you’ve got a Wii you can’t go past Donkey Kong Country Returns. (It’s technically 3D, but presentation is like the old 2D games. Worth playing any way.)

Epic Mickey 2 is out in November for the PC. Looks like it’s improving upon the first in almost every way…

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

DKCR is amazing, but doesn’t play like what you think of as a 3D platformer as all. No free roaming there.

There’s also the re-released Jak & Daxter and Sly Raccoon games for PS3, which are both amazing trilogies.

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

I would strongly recommend the “Prince of Persia” games. Especially the 2008’s game. I would imagine that it appeals to people who like adventure games also. It’s gorgeous, the emphasis is on exploration and you basically can’t die. Story wise it’s nothing special but it’s not bad either. The overall plot is basic, but the interaction between the main characters is nicely done. It’s not tied to the other games either, with a new main character and location. So you can jump straight into it without prior knowledge of the other games.

The other entries in the franchise are more challenging, which I didn’t dig that much. The latest one “The Forgotten Sands” on Wii and HD consoles are two different games. PS3 and 360 version is more like the PS2 era trilogy, but the Wii version is all about challenge and thin story-line.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Psychonauts is one of the best games ever.  Smile  I really recommend that you give it a try.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I can’t really add anything to this thread as I haven’t played platformers much since Superfrog and New Zealand Story but I’m still participating!

I have Psychonauts, haven’t played it much though, just a bit of fooling around. It seems like a great game though. (Also had Costume Quest and now bought Stacking.)

Thanks for the Prince of Persia recommendation, I’ll keep my eyes open for a good sale and will try it out.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Thank you everyone for the recs.  It doesn’t sound like I was missing much.  I’ve played and liked most of the games people recommended.  (Except for the Wii ones - I haven’t turned on my Wii in like two years - those SD graphics have gotten just too annoying).  I just didn’t know if there were hidden gems like Alice I was missing.  It really is a fun game. 

millenia - 18 July 2012 05:46 PM

Thanks for the Prince of Persia recommendation, I’ll keep my eyes open for a good sale and will try it out.

I agree.  I wasn’t big into the action oriented Prince games, but I really like the reboot.  FYI, millenia, it was recently a flash sale on Steam for $2.49 and they seem to be repeating those flash sales.  Keep an eye out.

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

There aren’t made too many platformers these days, and currently it’s actually 2D platformers that’s the shit and not 3D. I can wholeheartedly recommend a few of those though, especially the aforementioned Donkey Kong Country Returns and Rayman Origins.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Interplay - 18 July 2012 09:08 PM

Thank you everyone for the recs.  It doesn’t sound like I was missing much.  I’ve played and liked most of the games people recommended.  (Except for the Wii ones - I haven’t turned on my Wii in like two years - those SD graphics have gotten just too annoying).  I just didn’t know if there were hidden gems like Alice I was missing.  It really is a fun game.

I know how you feel, I liked Alice a lot and there’s really not much similar to it out there. There are some nice puzzle ones like Quantum Conundrum and more combat heavy ones like the new Prince of Persia series, but not really any good fantasy ones besides Psychonauts which is probably not ‘recent’ anymore anyway. If you’re willing to go into 2D I recommend Trine or just skip straight to Trine 2 which is even better.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

Trine is also a good 2D platformer. As for 3D, I’m drawing a blank here. Have you played Tomb Raider?

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 18 July 2012 10:32 PM

I can wholeheartedly recommend a few of those though, especially the aforementioned Donkey Kong Country Returns and Rayman Origins.

Then there’s Limbo and Braid too. I find there’s a really fine line between 3D platformer and action/adventure. Who knows, if you like Alice you might enjoy Uncharted. Maybe even Batman: Arkham Asylum/Arkham City or Enslaved: Odyssey to the West as well. (I’m assuming you haven’t played them already. Tongue)

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Limbo and Braid are both great - didn’t even think of more “indie” titles. There’s tons of great 2D platformers lately.

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

A 2D platformer? Castlevania: Symphony of the Night! ‘Nuff said. Wink

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yeah I remember seeing that Prince of Persia sale, hopefully it still returns.

Now I realised that I have already bought Limbo and both Trines, just haven’t played them yet. And I think I almost finished Kingdom Hearts back when it came out.

I’ve always thought those Alices look nice too. I could hijack a part of this thread for those adventurey recommendations. If it has a good story and it isn’t painfully hard (rather on the easier side) I might be interested in playing it.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top