• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure - Out on Steam and GOG

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

cirroid - 22 March 2016 07:14 PM

Looking good, and I loved the jokes!
My favorite was the in-game dialogue about bothering everyone. Wink

I agree. Medium awareness and breaking the fourth wall is a great source of laughs, imo. Woody Allen has thrived on it, for starters.

Good-looking trailer. Here’s to a successful Kickstarter! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Thanks, you guys! I will need all the encouraging I can get Grin

Speaking of that, if you feel like checking out the campaign draft page and leaving feedback (either on KS or here, same to me), that’d be great.Note: it’s about 95% done, and demo links don’t work yet. Very curious what you think of the page and pitch vid!

Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/gn54xq3

I’d really, really want to have a date but we’re STILL waiting for Kickstarter to verify our account info and campaign, I really hope it’ll be done soon so we can launch next week. Fingers crossed.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

DEMO AVAILABLE NOW!

Alright, guys, I know I’ve been crying wolf for a long time now, but this is really it, the demo’s done and you can download it right now:

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS
DOWNLOAD MAC
DOWNLOAD LINUX

You can also download it from our website...

And from the campaign draft page.

Important note: if you want to back Gibbous and be notified when it launches, there’s a button on the top of the draft campaign page that will help notify you when it goes live.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the demo! Don’t be shy, now!  Laughing

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I tried it. There’s lots to like: the sights, the background noises are very well done and the voices too. I don’t have any idea what I had to achieve though.
I also found a few bugs. I’m on a 2011 MacBook Pro with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB so I played the Mac version. I can only run the game in 1280x800 on it but it looks like a small part of the area that is meant to be seen is beyond the screen. Some text was clipped in the right in the first part of the game, and the arrow to the left was also only partially visible. I’m not sure wther it was meant but once I went to the left using the arrow I couldn’t go back anymore. I would have loved to try the cookie on the young kiddo. Furthermore when you click something and Buzz tells something about it the last half or so second of his speach is chopped off, which makes him a bit hard to understand without subtitles.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

tsa - 31 March 2016 02:35 PM

I tried it. There’s lots to like: the sights, the background noises are very well done and the voices too. I don’t have any idea what I had to achieve though.
I also found a few bugs. I’m on a 2011 MacBook Pro with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB so I played the Mac version. I can only run the game in 1280x800 on it but it looks like a small part of the area that is meant to be seen is beyond the screen. Some text was clipped in the right in the first part of the game, and the arrow to the left was also only partially visible. I’m not sure wther it was meant but once I went to the left using the arrow I couldn’t go back anymore. I would have loved to try the cookie on the young kiddo. Furthermore when you click something and Buzz tells something about it the last half or so second of his speach is chopped off, which makes him a bit hard to understand without subtitles.

I’m really sorry you’ve been having problems with it. We only have one programmer who also acts as a tester, and doing that on three operating systems can be difficult. Thank you for the report, though, I’ll run all this by him tomorrow and hopefully we can fix it soon! If you couldn’t get out of the first screen it really, really sucks. I am so sorry. Hopefully it’s an easy fix and we’ll update the links soon.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

They weren’t big problems. I could get out of the first screen no problem but I couldn’t go back to it. But maybe that is intentional? Anyway, the left arrow that appears to indicate that you can go to a new screen didn’t fit entirely on the screen (the point was off-screen). And after going left I couldn’t walk past the hypercolumn because it was the thing that was farthest (furthest?) to the right and there was no arrow visible. Is that how it’s supposed to be?
If you like I can post some screen shots tomorrow.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Yup, sounds like a resolution problem we’ve had (and fixed) before on PC. I had it on my monitor at home which isn’t Full HD. It should be an easy fix, I think, and we-ll re-up the build. If you could pm me the screenshots, I’d appreciate them (when I scold our programmer, heheh).

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

As a follow-up to tsa’s post I thought I’d download the Windows version (been meaning to do so for a day or two) to see where I could get to as a comparison.

Playing with graphics set to “fantastic” at 2560 x 1440 I can travel as far left as the taxi but no further (which I think is as far as I can go per the game) and can travel all the way back to the staircase where we start at so it looks like a Mac port problem.

Haven’t actually tried doing anything yet aside from the above but I’m really impressed with the graphics/artwork/speech as seen. Small question though. Will sub-titles be able to be turned off in the full game? Very much a necessity of course but something I can’t stand when there is voice acting in English. This is my one bugbear with Nelly Cootalot and the Fowl Fleet.

Looking really good though Mr Underhill and I’ll certainly be backing the Kickstarter - my first for a couple of years!  Thumbs Up

Life is what it is.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I have a big iMac too (not retina though) on which I can run the demo in 2560x1440. I’ll try it there too and send you screenshots tomorrow Mr. Underhill.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Thanks Tsa!

Jabod: The stairs on the right and the taxi on the left are the boundaries (in the demo). Yes, we’ll add a lot of functionalities to the finished product so you can tweak it to your heart’s content. For now the two I insisted on having in the demo were clicking to skip the spoken line and double clicking the screen exit arrows to teleport.

And thanks so much for supporting us! We wanted to be honest about what we need in order to deliver a game with high production values and a *@#$-ton of voice acting. If we do get to make it as we envision it, it’s gonna be a BLAST!  Cool

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished the demo, that was really good. Besides the good backgrounds and animations featured some snappy funny dialogue bits (kitteh is still going to still the show, right? Smile ). Also nice voices. The setting also seems perfect for a different kind of comedy.
Besides that lots of interactions (always good to see the screen light up entirely when you use the hotspot button in the oodoo bit) and lots and lots of different responses to interactions with each object.
Just a question about the interface, you are using the coin interface but there’s always just 2 options for each hotpot, will more verbs be added? Because it doesn’t seem like it needs the coin interface this way.
It’s sounding very promising, hope the kickstarter goal is met for see it take full form.

And Bob

Olmstein

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

Just finished the demo.Nicely drawn and animated. I agree that kitteh will steal the show.Will keep an eye out for the kickstarter.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Thanks guys!

@tsa: Yep, as suspected, it’s an issue with the aspect ratio. Gibbous runs at 16:9, your display is at 8:5. We’re fixing and updating the links, I’ll let you know in the thread when the new links are up.

@wilco: The verb coin: as you deduced, yep, there will be a third option. In BUzz’ case it’s Kitteh, but we didn’t have a chance to implement it. Right now you either select her from the inventory and click on her. In the final game we’re considering having Kitteh help out with hints, a’ la Primordia, but we’re still pondering that.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I thought it would be something like that.
What about the spoken text that is chopped off?
And I take it you don’t need screenshots anymore?

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Hey there. Alright, we fixed the aspect ratio issue, best download the fixed buid from our website (we’re moving away from dropbox so we don’t reach their dl limit):

http://www.gibbousgame.com

We’re looking into the speech issue, scrambling to find a Mac that has your configuration. Hope we’ll fix that too, soon.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top