• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckyskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return of the Obra Dinn (From the creator of Papers, Please)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Henke - 06 November 2018 12:27 AM

Based on my memory I would say that Obra Dinns gameplay is similar to Sherlock Holmes vs. Arsène Lupin (a.k.a. Nemesis). Especially the last puzzle in the Lupin game which involved figuring out the identities of the guards at the Tower of London.

I recall Holmes VS Lupin being more like a straight cut puzzle game more than anything else. That’s how I remember it feeling at least as well as how big of a disappointment it felt to me.

I do think the later Holmes games have had some decent deductive elements in them though, but never in the same quality and quantity as in Obra Dinn.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

tomimt - 06 November 2018 08:42 AM
Henke - 06 November 2018 12:27 AM

Based on my memory I would say that Obra Dinns gameplay is similar to Sherlock Holmes vs. Arsène Lupin (a.k.a. Nemesis). Especially the last puzzle in the Lupin game which involved figuring out the identities of the guards at the Tower of London.

I recall Holmes VS Lupin being more like a straight cut puzzle game more than anything else. That’s how I remember it feeling at least as well as how big of a disappointment it felt to me.

I do think the later Holmes games have had some decent deductive elements in them though, but never in the same quality and quantity as in Obra Dinn.

Ha ha ha! Then you really should play it again. Like I said, the last puzzle is more or less exactly like Obra Dinn.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Finally got around to finishing every last fate. The fate that gave me the most trouble was the ship’s steward. I gathered that he wasnt simply spiked.. but i still just do not hear a gun sound in that clip.. so i tried and tried to look for possibilities that he was stabbed with some kind of weapon through the wall. And then theres the clip before it where the bosun and the carpenter have an exchange of the gun.. so i kept trying to pin them as the shooter. Eventually i pinned it as the bosun’s mate.. even though he was too far to identify with e.
Curious what people think about the end and the overall story. I didnt see an explanation for how this magic watch came into henry’s possession.  And the chest emits mercury poison.. sometimes..? Even if the story wasnt fully clear it still was very interesting.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

just finished it after almost 12 hours…
Easily my GOTY, although I also liked Unavowed.
One fate stumped me (John Naples), I had to look that up, and missed an important clue there. But apart from that, quite enjoyable.
Truth is, I would have never come far if it didn’t have the solve 3 cases at a time mechanic. I had to guess quite a few things Smile

Highly recommended!!

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Well…that was quite some game, and a breath of fresh (salty) air. I agree with the GOTY shouts. Who said adventure games couldn’t be exciting?

I would almost say the deduction mechanic is so great it would be a shame if it were used for only one game, even if a sequel or series would struggle to match its freshness. It is the kind of puzzle-solving that the genre needs more of.

jaap - 10 December 2018 02:55 PM

One fate stumped me (John Naples), I had to look that up, and missed an important clue there.

He was the last one I got. It took me a while to figure out the link between the Swedish steward and him. I don’t know if there are any other links than the Captain’s accusations and the steward running off when they are carrying the beast downstairs.

I also took me some time to put down some of the disappearances to drownings. I think there must have been some clues to this but I ended up guessing there must have been men overboard in all the chaos.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oscar - 02 January 2019 06:05 AM

I also took me some time to put down some of the disappearances to drownings. I think there must have been some clues to this but I ended up guessing there must have been men overboard in all the chaos.

If I’m not fully mistaken, the game does give some freeway there, as you can chalk up some of the deaths with a bit wider speculation for drowning or just killed by the monster. At times you can choose if you just blame the monster or someone else who did something a moment before the monster came to the picture to mess things up..

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

tomimt - 02 January 2019 06:29 AM
Oscar - 02 January 2019 06:05 AM

If I’m not fully mistaken, the game does give some freeway there, as you can chalk up some of the deaths with a bit wider speculation for drowning or just killed by the monster. At times you can choose if you just blame the monster or someone else who did something a moment before the monster came to the picture to mess things up..

I didn’t realize that, although I wasn’t talking about deaths just the disappearances at the end of some of the chapters. It’s good there is some leeway though as some of the causes aren’t entirely clear.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Return of the Obra Din has been nominated for 6 BAFTAs:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47570073

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played several black and white Mac adventure games in the day, they were amazing. This one was similar but way better. Hope it gets ported to the iPad someday.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

While not all results are in Return Of The Obra Dinn has won Best Game Design at the BAFTA Game Awards this evening so well done and congratulations to Lucas Pope Thumbs Up

Can now add that it’s also won Artistic Achievement.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jabod - 04 April 2019 03:31 PM

Can now add that it’s also won Artistic Achievement.

As well it should. TimovieMan and I had a discussion about retro graphics on another thread, and he stated that this was the best example of the BEST use of retro graphics in any game he ever played. I agree. I am still trying to convince myself that I need to play this game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The retro graphics made the game way creepier than it would have been otherwise. A very strange game from start to finish.

Now that I am playing Beneath a Steel Sky - I kinda miss this game - so innovative.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top