• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Far Cry 5

There was a lot of pre-hype/controversy about this game pre-release. Mainly due to it being set around a cult in rural USA. Would it be a politcal story about living in rural america and a pointed swipe at current US politics and gun ownership.

I had hope for a few minutes that it would have something meaningful to say, but nah the story in this game isn’t what was hinted at in the early trailers. As such it’s probably the weak point of the game. I more or less tuned out the religious cult mumblings and enjoyed everything around it. I did however “like” the out of nowhere bonkers ending which was at least different.

You play a rookie from the sheriff’s department in Hope County Montana, a Rural made up part of Montana USA. The Cult run by Joseph Seed has more or less taken over the county and are kidnapping and brainwashing locals, developing a drug that causes hallucinations and compliance or experimenting on the local wildlife. Once your attempted arrest of Jospeh goes wrong and the other members of your team are captured you set out to rescue them.

Joseph has three siblings who each hold one of the hostages and have their own region which you need to liberate. You can do this in any order or jump between each region randomly. Story missions and side missions and activities all earn you resistance points which builds up to a boss fight in each area which in turn liberates that area when you defeat the boss. Liberate all three areas to trigger the final battle agains Jospeh.

While the story is a hoccum the gameplay is fantasticly fun. It’s not massively different from previous Far Cry games it’s still a great open world game with a lot of fun things to do and georgous scenery.

Pro

* The open world is great. No more climbing towers to unlock areas (they even joke about it near the start of the game. Missions and side missions are unlocked by talking to NPC’s, coming across them by exploring or finding things in the environment that pop things on your map. It’s more organic and gives more reason to go to parts of the map you might not have done before.

* The combat the guns are just as good as before. Taking over bases is still a shit ton of fun.

* Co-op can be activated for virtually the entire game and playing in this sandbox with a friend is enormusly entertaining (depending on the friend obviously).

* Lack friends, you can recruit nine companions that each have different skills to complement your playstyle from air support to Cheeseburger the grizzly bear.

* The Prepper stashes are hidden bunkers that contained a lot of money, weapons and upgrade points. Finding and getting into them were nice little puzzles. One might need you to find a sniper spot to shoot a lock through a window another might mean you have to drain water from the bunker etc. It was neat.

Cons

* Story is a bit Meh with a lot of religious metaphors and talks about a collapse and the end of the world.

* They changed the crafting system to a more perk based system which was fine, but meant the hunting was less meaningful in this game as upgrades came from activities or finding perk magazines. Activity perks came more from doing stuff in the world or using specific weapons and seemed like just trying to stop you using the same gun for the whole game.

* It overuses the capture and escape story. Every region has 3 notches on the resistance meter and everytime you hit one suddenly the bad guys that you have been mowing down captures you gives you alot of story exposition and then you somehow escape…9 times Pan

There is nothing particulrly new about the game. The villian isn’t as good as Voos or Pagin Min However. I put 40 hours into the game because I was having fun in the world and the gameplay mechanics. Ignore the story, play with a friend and just have a great time.

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Shovel Knight

I finished a game! Yeaaahh! Had to be on the Switch. Backed this one on kickstarter but never got around to play it. Great platformer with a good balance between challenging but doable because of the check points. Boss fights specially was a matter of getting asskicked and getting a handle of the patterns - the boss fight at the end with all the Knights was really good.
Easy to pick and play with lots of different challenges. I’m sure there are a lot of no-death runs around, not for me!

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Horizon zero dawn

I have not beat the game but im about 25 hrs in and im at level 29. This game grew on me a lot. At first besides the pretty graphics, I didnt see all the praise it was getting. The Voice acting is pretty robotic for the most part and dull, plus the facial animations on close up seem way off. the world building was far more interesting than the actual story. To be honest I felt mass effect suffered from the same problem, I thought the conflict between the krogans and the salarians was way more interesting than the main reaper conflict. So for instance the datapads you find and the videos in the cauldrons are more interesting than alloy and the allies she meets. I think the devs could have done even a little bit more to differentiate the tribes from each other.

The gameplay is good even great when going against the robots, but against humans it is boring and uninspiring. Also im tired of games half stepping when it comes to stealth, either integrate the full basic mechanics to make it work or just dont use it. Horizon suffers from the same problems that uncharted and Assassin Creed does, you can crouch and use grass but cant move a body two feet to hide it and you cant belly crawl to lower visibility, those two features would help immensely. I love the varied locations and terrains but thought the climbing mechanics could have been implemented a little better the game seems to suffer some when trying to decipher which way you want to go. this is not a full review but what I think of it so far. the first couple of hrs I would have gave the game a 7.5 (I dont really care about graphics anymore, more interested in story and gameplay) but after the rest of the map opens up and we see some really cool bots and the story improved some, I give it an 8.5. A good game but I dont think it is as good a some say. Just my two cents, here is some gameplay from me. These are story missions but I give no context so very small spoilers if any.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Jdawg445 - 15 May 2018 02:33 PM

Horizon zero dawn

I have not beat the game but im about 25 hrs in and im at level 29. This game grew on me a lot. At first besides the pretty graphics, I didnt see all the praise it was getting. The Voice acting is pretty robotic for the most part and dull, plus the facial animations on close up seem way off. the world building was far more interesting than the actual story. To be honest I felt mass effect suffered from the same problem, I thought the conflict between the krogans and the salarians was way more interesting than the main reaper conflict. So for instance the datapads you find and the videos in the cauldrons are more interesting than alloy and the allies she meets. I think the devs could have done even a little bit more to differentiate the tribes from each other.

The gameplay is good even great when going against the robots, but against humans it is boring and uninspiring. Also im tired of games half stepping when it comes to stealth, either integrate the full basic mechanics to make it work or just dont use it. Horizon suffers from the same problems that uncharted and Assassin Creed does, you can crouch and use grass but cant move a body two feet to hide it and you cant belly crawl to lower visibility, those two features would help immensely. I love the varied locations and terrains but thought the climbing mechanics could have been implemented a little better the game seems to suffer some when trying to decipher which way you want to go. this is not a full review but what I think of it so far. the first couple of hrs I would have gave the game a 7.5 (I dont really care about graphics anymore, more interested in story and gameplay) but after the rest of the map opens up and we see some really cool bots and the story improved some, I give it an 8.5. A good game but I dont think it is as good a some say. Just my two cents, here is some gameplay from me. These are story missions but I give no context so very small spoilers if any.

Not sure where you are with the story but it improves a lot as you play. Also, I do agree that the acting is robotic, except for one character that stole the show.

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2011-07-05

PM

Flower - PS3

One of my favorite games on the PS3 that I’ve played. Very pretty game with emotional music. Even though I highly recommend this game, I would still wait until it’s on sale because it’s very short. As you you would think with a game called ‘Flower’, there is no challenge (except in getting a trophy), however, I still had fun. Something else to keep in mind, is that’s it’s cross buy with PS4 and Vita.  I managed to get all trophies. Note: There is no platinum trophy for Flower.

Score: 9/10

Joined 2011-07-05

PM

Magic Orbz - PS3

The game plays much like a breakout clone, except the environments are in 3D. I really enjoyed the game initially, however, the more I played, the more frustrated I got. My frustration was mainly due the the curved paddle at the bottom. There was many a time when the ball would come at an angle, I would line up the hit, the ball would just sheer the edge (even though, to me, it looked like it should have hit the edge) and cause a death. There are a nice variety of power ups. Sound effects are good, music is ok.
Magic Orbz only has two worlds, one a pirate world and another, a medieval world. The base game is very short and at $14.95, it’s way overpriced. I would suggest waiting for a massive discount. There are three DLC worlds, priced at $4.55, but I don’t currently have those and might wait until they are on sale before picking those up.

Score: 6/10

Joined 2011-07-05

PM

Azkend 2 - PSVITA

A variation of the match 3 puzzle game with a throw away story. Perfect game to play during breaks or lunches at work. The main campaign is not very long. Stage medals and a time trial can be played after the main game.

Score: 5/10

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

God of War

100% completion. Loved the hell out if it.

5/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-07-05

PM

Advent Rising - PC

Pros:
- High production
- Sound and Music
- Combat (Can dual wield any guns(including rocket launchers)) however, **see con**
- World building
- Interesting powers
- Has cheats if you just want to plow through the game

Cons:
- In game bugs
- Game crashes
- Story
- Ending
- ** Most times the enemies keep re-spawning until you get to the objective/checkpoint
- Objectives/checkpoints are not marked and can be bugged or not clear

I would like to recommend this game, but I can’t due to the amount of bugs and crashes. I still had fun nonetheless.

Score: 4/10

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2017-04-06

PM

Finished the Ori and the Blind Forest. An amazing game with tight controls and beautiful visuals. If you like platformers, then this is a must play. Its a metroidvania type game with heavy feels.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played Flower on the PSVITA and loved it - one of the coolest games on the system by far. I gotta replay this game soon.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

still going through horizon zero dawn im a level 35 to 37 I cant remember but here is some gameplay from all side quest next to no spoilers except for what type of huge machines you can encounter

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

finally finished horizon zero dawn completely and almost platinum it. Im not going to spend major time on anything other than the story bc I have went over those aspects in previous post. but to sum up

graphics- 9.5/10 this is just a beautiful gme with great environments all around and great creature designs

gameplay- 8.5/10 if I was just going on the robot combat it would be easily a 9.5 outta 10 but the human combat drags it down some. Plus this game has too many find all the collectibles fetch quest like all ubisoft games.

story- Now here it gets interesting if I were to judge the story in the first 15 hrs id say a 5 to 6/10 I mean this story takes forever to get going and even after it does and it does very well, the past is always more interesting than the present. the characters in the modern day are kind of flat, but the intrigue and the lore of what happened to earth a 1000 yrs ago is soooo interesting that it drew me in like a moth to a flame, at around the 15 hr mark of the main story. the main story is prob 30 hrs all together but I did most of the sidequest and errands so I put in 62 hrs. after all said and done though I will have to give the story a 9/10

overall enjoyment of the game is a 9/10

of all the ps4 games I have played so far, my top list goes.
4. uncharted 4
3. horizon zero dawn
2. witcher 3
1. persona 5

I still need to play god of war, the yakuza series, and Detroit become human, as well as some others.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2018-06-11

PM

Battlefield 4 for the fourth time lol. I know a lot of people are probably like “are you out of your mind”, No, I’m not. I like BF4 a lot and I have had fun playing it from scratch. Never got bored.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Horizon Zero Dawn.What an incredible game, definitely surprised me, the impressive graphics, excellent story, soundtrack, etc. I’ve spent so many hours playing this game. I even liked it a lot better than The Witcher 3. The main, secondary missions, getting lost exploring this world was a pleasure.
I loved it.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top