• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Game of the Generation

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Some sites are starting up Game of the Generation votes and awards. So i
thought to make thread to get some idea of what gamers loved this gen.

Your top 10?

Mine

1. Demon’s souls(Best in everything, best online mechanics)
2. Vanquish (Crazy, super fast hardcore gameplay ,best 3rd person shooter yet).
3. Borderlands2 ( Amount of guns make all other FPS stale and boring in the long run).
4. Dishonored (Stealth gameplay, powers and Art design)
5. Last of us (AI, narrative and visceral realistic combat).
6. Metro Last light ( Atmosphere, theme and tech).
7. Street Fighter 4 ( Revived fighting scene and dope gameplay).
8. MGRising ( Amazing fun gameplay, made me forget DMC and Ninjagaiden).
9. Bioshock ( World, narrative and themes).
10. Dragon Age ( Great cast of memorable characters, excellent dialogues and journey).

Most disappointing and overhyped series = Assassins Creed
Most overlooked = Resonance of Fate
Best Indie title = Hotline Miami

List that can help
http://www.gamekult.com/concours/jeu-de-la-generation-bracket.html

DX, Sdogs,portal etc many great games this gen.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2013-10-22

PM

By this generation, are we talking about this generation of console gaming, this decade, or the past twenty years? Would you mind narrowing it down a little?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 21 October 2013 11:57 PM

1. Demon’s souls(Best in everything, best online mechanics)

This is one of the series I want to play before changing consoles. Do you think this one is better than Dark Souls?

3. Borderlands2 ( Amount of guns make all other FPS stale and boring in the long run).

I think the first one itself got very stale and boring so I have yet to try the second. Did it fix some issues?

Most disappointing and overhyped series = Assassins Creed

Very very wrong Smile - see below

My list without any particular order:

Assassins Creed 2 - Best game in the best new series of this generation Smile
Portal 1 and 2 - No introduction needed
Rayman Origins/Legends - 2D platformer goodness
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 - best games on the Wii by far
Dragon Age - Great Rpg that got a very inferior sequel Frown
Persona 4 - It probably doesn’t count but I’m playing on the Vita and it’s the best JPRG I’ve played in years
Bayoneta - Awesome beat’em up - great controls
Last of Us

This has been a very long generation so I’m probably missing a lot of stuff…

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

@Laurencio, i mean this console gen , ps3, 360 ,wii and PC in that timeline.

@wiico - Great choices there except from you know lol, coming from Bloodmoney and
Thief, Asscreed was a joke, the whole social stealth , how the character is so
prominent and no body catches him, assassin dont dress and walk like this.
Not to mention the story was super cheesy and gameplay was crap.

Actual assassins born from Sect of hasanbinsabah, were never present in all timelines.
Then to make things all more cliched they mixed matrix.

Play demonsouls if you have PS3, after you will finish it, you will know why i hate
gameplay of games like AssCreed. I am sure you will understand what my yardstick is. Darksouls is real good too, but missing some crazy and dark level design and strong
memorable characters of Demons souls. You cannot miss Tower of Latria or valley of defilement before next gen Smile.
And there are some online aspects that even Darksouls failed to copy or execute, which
i wont spoil. Suffice it to say, PS4 share footage stuff and Journey multiplayer was influenced by Demons Souls.

If you have ps3, then there is no reason to jump directly to Darksouls.
Darksouls is for those who have only 360.

Edit: Frankly you are one of the few guys on these forums who have diverse taste in games and play/like Suda games to Bayonetta, Mario and Persona too . The reaosn i
recommended Danganronpa to you.

But cant comprehend what made asscreed your fav game. Tongue

Borderlands 2 is bigger better and more crazy, the thing that i like is crazy loot.
Which can be crazy or not depending upon the nature of AI generation.
And yes problems were catered iirc, more cool bosses and vast level variety, story was really good ,one of the best VO job by Villian and great surprises.

Thing is in all FPS, in all CoDs, all BFs etc. Its same M16s, same berettas or glocks etc , Got sick of using same weapons, bl2 is the right fix.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 22 October 2013 09:57 PM

But cant comprehend what made asscreed your fav game. Tongue

Smile I get that a lot! The series has problems no doubt about that. The one-on-one (or one-on-ten) fights play the same and are not very interesting. The have done some interesting things with stealth and assassinations in the first two but it just got worse and noot challenging. The main story (with Desmond) went completely bonkers in the end of AC2 and I completely lost track of happens.
Having said that I love the open-world parkour /free running, the climbing, the architecture of te old cities, little snippets of history of the world. I spent hours just exploring all the maps and trying to climb everything. Those were the real challenges. The Ezio storyline of AC2 trilogy was also well-executed.  It’s just a series that connects with me. I even own all the horrible portable games!

But like I said,I understand why there is a lot of hate for the series and the last 2 games were disappointing. Probably because of the main designer leaving, and Ubi insisting on it being an annual franchise…

I checked and I have Demons Souls from PSPlus so I’ll definitely try that soon!

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

1. Skyrim
2. Portal 2
3. Bioshock
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Uncharted 2
6. Last of Us
7. Batman Arkham Asylum
8. Red Dead Redemption
9. Super Mario Galaxy
10.GTA V

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I count all games released on platforms of the seventh console generation - Wii, XBox 360, PS3, PSP, DS - plus all PC games released in this timeframe (2005-2013).
The 3DS and the PSVita are members of the eighth generation, so I discarded them.

I only own a PC, a Nintendo DS and a dust-gathering Wii, so no XBox360, PS3 and PSP games are included (unless they were multi-platform or got ported). Plus, I favour adventure games, RPGs and sports games, so I played but few games from other genres…

Best games of this generation:

1. Mass Effect 2 (PC): the best game in the trilogy, and a serious contender for “best game of all time” in my book. I got all 6 (or 7, I lost count) DLC packs, did 3 full playthroughs, and spent over 150 hours with this game. It’s awesome across the board, imo.

2. Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney (NDS): my love for this game is pretty much plastered all over the forum. It’s lengthy, it’s fun, it’s got more twists than a Chubby Checker convention, and it’s utterly hilarious!

3. Tennis Elbow 2011 (PC): an indie sports game, developed by a single person, and it blows Top Spin, Virtua Tennis, Smash Court Tennis and its ilk straight out of the water by awesomeness of gameplay and realism. Graphics are a bit lacking, but there’s a modding community that addresses that. Best tennis game ever, imo. Note: the new Tennis Elbow 2013 is a data update of the 2011 game with more support for modders, but it’s basically still the same game.

Other great games of this generation:

4-11. (in no particular order)

Mass Effect (PC)
Mass Effect 3 (PC)
Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (NDS)
Time Hollow (NDS)
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (NDS)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (Wii)
Civilization IV (PC)
To the Moon (PC)

12-16. (in no particular order)

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (PC)
Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition (PC)
Lost Horizon (PC)
Fallout 3 (PC)
FIFA 12 (PC)

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

1-3. Mass Effect series: I’m currently in the middle of my 3rd play through of the entire series, which is no small time commitment, and I still love it.
4-6. Uncharted series
7. Red Dead Redemption
8. Assassin’s Creed 2 (Sorry nomad—I’m in love with Ezio!)
9. Arkham City
10. Last of Us

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-11-11

PM

1. Grand Theft Auto 5
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Assassin’s Creed 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Uncharted 2
6. Last of Us
7. Dragon Age
8. Fallout 3
9. Portal 2
10.Skyrim

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

1. Red Dead Redemption

and then everything else in no particular order:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Assassin’s Creed 2
Mass Effect 1-3
Skyrim
Super Mario Galaxy
GTA IV
GTA V
Xenoblade Chronicles

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

TimovieMan - 24 October 2013 06:28 AM

1. Mass Effect 2 (PC): the best game in the trilogy, and a serious contender for “best game of all time” in my book. I got all 6 (or 7, I lost count) DLC packs, did 3 full playthroughs, and spent over 150 hours with this game. It’s awesome across the board, imo.

Gasp What? Best? It’s by far the worst in the series! Although I like #1 the most, I could understand #3 as the best but #2, while enjoyable to play through a couple times, was seriously lacking in most aspects… In my opinion, of course Wink I just feel it’s a seriously dumbed down version of #1, though with better shooter mechanics.

And looking at these posts, almost everyone seems to think #2 is the best. Yet, whenever I’ve talked to people before, I think maybe once I’ve heard anyone prefer #2. It must be Bizarro-day Grin

Then again, a lot of people are also posting Dragon Age. In my opinion it was an okay game with kind of meh characters, a predictable plot and repetitive gameplay. It was worth the 10€ I paid, but I couldn’t do a second playthrough…

Hey, for once I’m the guy who’s disputing everyone else Tongue But don’t worry, I’m not looking for a troll-off here, I respect your opinions.

I’ll edit a bit of my thoughts for a list here, in a moment.

(Edit): Okay, what I think has made a big impact…
The two Portals
Mass Effect (like I said, I like the first the most, but it’s not so big a difference I’d exclude the others, and of course the series altogether had a great impact)
Mirror’s Edge! Definitely, one of my favorite games - great idea, so immersive, and any game that supports the non-violent (or at least no guns, no killing etc.) route is brilliant in my books. Only negatives were the predictable plot and a bit too high emphasis on the action scenes (where you’re being shot at - I’d rather more emphasis on the exploration and figuring out how to get from A to B). But I just love the parkouring…
(Journey) (I haven’t actually played this myself, but I’ve watched gameplay and heard all the talk and I have to add it here - though in parenthesis)
(eh, that’s not much of a list, I’m drawing a blank now)

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

When I look back at the last five years I come away thinking this generation peaked in 2010.

Super Mario Galaxy 2, Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2 are all games from 2010 that left this incredible impression on me thanks to their great value and impact from what they provide in immersion, freedom, choice, everything! I would put those three games in any order at the top of my list.

Some other great games I really enjoyed (those titles I want to reach out and hug) were Sonic Generations, Scribblenauts, VVVVVV, Beyond Two Souls, the Atelier series, Portal, the Ace Attorney series, Fez and Alice: Madness Returns.

I don’t know if you can glean some common thread amongst all the games I’ve listed above. A list of games I was the most disappointed by would be more revealing. A lot of titles over promised this generation and under delivered for me. It was those pleasant surprises where I didn’t know what I was getting into that gave me the most joy.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

UPtimist - 19 November 2013 04:54 AM

Gasp What? Best? It’s by far the worst in the series! Although I like #1 the most, I could understand #3 as the best but #2, while enjoyable to play through a couple times, was seriously lacking in most aspects… In my opinion, of course Wink I just feel it’s a seriously dumbed down version of #1, though with better shooter mechanics.

And looking at these posts, almost everyone seems to think #2 is the best. Yet, whenever I’ve talked to people before, I think maybe once I’ve heard anyone prefer #2. It must be Bizarro-day Grin

Metacritic gives ME2 94, while ME and ME3 ‘only’ get 89, so we’re not alone in preferring the second game here… Wink

Btw, I never minded the dumbed down RPG aspects, because we got additional levels in badass where characters and gameplay were involved, imo. And it didn’t have a gazillion duplicated rooms. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

UPtimist - 19 November 2013 04:54 AM
TimovieMan - 24 October 2013 06:28 AM

I worked in a game store for many years, and the feedback I always got, and continue to get, is that Mass Effect 2 is the best Mass Effect game. Personally, I think it is the weakest for the reasons you stated - basically a dumbed down version of Mass Effect 1.

I would have to agree along the lines of Mass Effect 1 and Red Dead Redemption for ‘best games of this generation’. I may agree with Skyrim, but I feel it may be a little bland to stand the test of time.

There’s a lot of games that have been mentioned that have been good, or popular, but I don’t think in the long term they will be remembered as memorable games or the best games soneone ever played (COD 4, Borderlands, Assasins Creed) and are more indications of generic gameplay or generic gameplay mechanics rather than the heights of what were accomplished.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

mass effect series is for me hands down the best game of this generation.

i think perhaps one of the reasons that mass effect 2 stands out the most is that it had the best soundtrack. it really enhanced the overall immersion experience.  as an electronic music producer myself i really believe in the power of soundtrack.  the omega bar song is the peak of mass effect experience for me.  Saki Kaskas - Callista <3 there are loads of great tunes throughout ME2.

beyond that, i really really liked the dlc.  overlord is probably my fav with all of the incredible enviornment changes and story. the vehicle aspects were really fun to fly around. (i’m one of the few who really loved the mako from ME1). i would have preferred ongoing dlcs to what became mass effect 3. each one was like its own individual star trek episode and i really dug that.

overall my favorite is still mass effect 1 because of its more exploratory aspects, but me2 has completely different aspects which make it great. its almost a tie for me

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

It seems my choices differ somewhat. Here’s my list:

1. Fallout 3 (Xbox and PC) – Here lies my second life. This game introduced me the Fallout universe, a place I’ve spent thousands of hours exploring. Quite possibly the most successful series revival in game history.
2. Counterfeit Monkey (PC) – One of the most incredible gameplay mechanics of this generation, alongside an unexpectedly engrossing world and narrative. This is my game of the generation, ignoring that for most it’s reasonably obscure.
3. Dear Esther (PC) – Whether you like it or not, you have to admit that it was one of the most provocative games of this generation.
4. Bioshock (Xbox) – If it wasn’t for the unnecessary ending, this may well have placed higher up.
5. Howling Dogs (PC) – One of the most significant games of this generation, made in one of the most significant tools of this generation: Twine. Not to mention the fact it was the subject of one of the most heartwarming gestures at last year’s GDC.
6. The Walking Dead: Season One (PC)  – Surprising level of commercial success (well, it was surprising to me), while being an important step in the evolution of narrative-driven games – not just adventure games.
7. Gravity Bone/Thirty Flights of Loving (PC) – Some of the boldest and most creative experimentations of this generation.
8. Portal 2 (Xbox) – Everyone seemed to love this game – and with good reason!
9. Minecraft (PC) – Maybe the whole thing has become just too big, but it’s undoubtedly vital to this generation.
10. Kentucky Route Zero (PC) – I hesitate to add this, mainly because only two acts have been released. But it has, with both its two acts and their accompanying interludes, had a profound impact on many who played it, including myself. There’s something remarkable about it, even if that something hasn’t been fully realised yet.

As an honourable mention, I’m going to include Mentula Macanus: Apocolocyntosis. Lascivious, juvenile, academic, inaccessible and grossly offensive—making one bafflingly good game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top